The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 11:24 PM
3rd Gear Member

I've gotten ahold of the seller and supposedly they are going to exchange the ripped seat for me without any problems. We shall see. I still trust UPS more than any other carriers myself. They're all bad but I have the least amount of problems with UPS as opposed to FedEx and definitely the USPS! You can certainly tell these seat boxes were abused bad during transit but that's an exception to the norm for me with UPS. Anyway, now I just have to wait, more, again for the replacement seat to arrive. Let's hope it's here before I need it come mid-summer eh?

Got the new X-pipe for the exhaust delivered finally. Just ordered a shotgun style air cleaner, the radiator and heater hoses today along with a shiny new PCV valve (per our discussion above) and battery tray. The parts list is getting seriously smaller! Probably won't be feelin' the shotgun air cleaner after it's on there but I don't have a doubt in my mind that I'll need a raised cowl hood to clear everything on this car. If I want a hood before getting the cowl one, it'll be needing a hole cut in it to clear the carb so I might as well have something better than a 14" round one sticking up right?

Today was the first day it's been above the freezing mark since December too! Slow and steady... Damon, did your dad's snowman look similar to this one? LOL! This is just south of Petoskey currently and stands 40' tall and that's a 50 gal drum and 6" drain pipe for his hat and a pylon for a nose. The buttons are tires off a tractor/mower or something. It's got to be 40'+ wide as well.

Attached Thumbnails The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-wp_20140307_14_27_32_pro.jpg  
Old 03-08-2014, 10:27 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Love what you're doing on the Camaro, but a shotgun air scoop? Sure wouldn't be in my short list for a 2nd gen Camaro. I'd much rather see a Hiborn style if I had to have a scoop protruding through, but prefer a taller cowl hood to cover it really.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:34 PM
2nd Gear member

Like the style of the shotgun air scoop. Do you know if it will fit on a 1050 carb?

Old 03-08-2014, 12:42 PM
Overdrive Member

That snowman has some real cool ideas on it but it would really hit some nerves if I showed it to my stepdad. See back in '78 there was a blizzard that rolled through here that was the worst anyone can remember. It is also what all the old timers gauge the severity of winter to. They are saying we have surpassed that winter and now are at record snow fall. Anyhow, back to 1978. There was a local radio station having a contest. The prize I cant remember but everyone tried to win. My stepdad and all his friends (16 yrs old at the time) took ALL the four feet of snow in the yard and made card board forms. The bottom was made and hosed with water and allowed to freeze over night. They did that on every level until it was 38' (from memory, close to that though) They cut cardboard into the radio stations call letters. like I mentioned the pipe was a bushel basket on a broom and the hat I dont think I've ever been told what it was.

In the end they were beaten by some other people that built a snow cone just like that one. He still *****es to this day. It was also used as a motivator for me to go outside and do something. I am looking all over in my phone and laptop but cant find the darn pic. I had my laptop wiped clean last week and had windows reloaded. I lost some stuff in the process.

Tim, can you send me as many pics as you can of your heads? I picked up a set just like them last month and would like to compare them to see if I can clean mine up a bit. I wish they were still off the engine. It would cool to use Tony's "mapping" to build mine. I am just planning on fixing the issues that inhibit the flow. Not hog them out. There is a nice step under the intake valve and the intake port needs to be straighten out. But what is odd to me is mine done have the "pillar of power" they have a clean shot past the bolt hole. A pm with a link would do if you dont want to collect them all.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:10 PM
3rd Gear Member

I understand your point Vall, but again, the shotgun air scoop is not something that will be staying on there for very long, it was a lot less expensive than a cowl hood and I won't be buying the hood this year. As mentioned, I know I won't like it as it's not my style and not the route I ever planned on taking with this Camaro. The Hilborn style to me are just too old fashioned. Bottom line is I refuse to drive around without a hood this summer. Don't worry though, I have no intentions of buying the intimidating-looking eyeball stickers to go on the flaps! I have total confidence that I'll be able to sell this scoop without losing too much money a couple months down the road. That's the plan. Clacia, the scoop fits any carb with a 5 1/8" neck and I know of a really nice one that will be for sale in a couple months.

I can get you some pics Damon, lord knows I have enough of 'em. I sure wouldn't waste any time trying to use the "mapping" that you mentioned. Do you honestly think those numbers were used as any type of reference after the cutting started? I sure as heck don't. Can't do much about the lip under the intake unless you go to a 2.05" valve. The castings/thicknesses all vary from batch to batch anyway I would assume. Can you still see the casting/id #'s on the top lip of the heads? Just curious which ones you got is all. Just give me a little time and I'll get them to you sir.

I could certainly understand your s-dad's frustration if their snowman was built by hand and the others weren't. The one south of town was definitely built with machinery. Pics never do things like this much justice but you just have to use the ridges/hills and the buried fence in the background as comparisons to it's size. It's mammoth. If I was standing at the base of the snowman, the bottom layer would be way above my head and I'm almost 6'. We've had a couple days now where it's been just above freezing and a lot of the snow has settled a bit. Here's a pic showing the snow halfway up the side of my house from inside my computer room. I remember the storm of '78 even though I was 5 at the time. Difference there was that it all came in a couple days. This year it never stopped coming!

Lastly, anyone need a set of tail lights? Someone up here is selling a set for $100 and they look like they're in really nice shape. If anyone is interested pm me and I'll see what I can do for you. Bet I can get 'em for $75!

Attached Thumbnails The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-mronr1zt31rwqfj1gjwsnsa.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-wp_20140222_09_15_43_pro.jpg  
Old 03-08-2014, 06:24 PM
Overdrive Member

Get the lights and flip them over on the other site. The snow on your window must have given you a feeling. Do I want to go to sleep? Will I be trapped in here in the morning? LOL

I appreciate the pics. I'm not sure about the mapping. I can tell you looking at his work that his runners are fairly uniform. The area where he put the tubes in yours is no where as bad as mine. As for the numbers which set? There is an engraved set just under the valve cover rail and there is a cast in set on the outer corner. Either way the numbers dont match on mine. Go figure. The rocker stud holes are drilled all the way into the runner too. I wasnt happy about that. It is kind of common but I told the seller had I seen that he would still own them. Then he tried bring in the race shop that sold them to him. He copied the e-mail so I could read it. The original sell was cutting me down for questioning the holes and the difference in numbers. Another question, these heads HAVE to have a +.100 valve stem correct? Another thing I was called an idiot for questioning after the sale. I did this because he sent standard length valves as a throw in for the deal. A little insight would be great. I'm going to build a screamer out of them anyhow. Polishing dog turds into gems is my mantra.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:49 PM
3rd Gear Member

I already called the guy with the tail lights, I am going to buy them. I just got done painting mine with the Nightshades paint and I really like them. Others might not, but in comparison to the GTS covers (which I can't stand) they look really good. Wouldn't hurt to have a backup set I guess. You might already know this, but the snow is not ON my window, that's how deep it is around my entire house! I've had that trapped feeling since mid-December lol!

Regarding the heads, at least you have some consistency if all the rocker stud holes go into the runners on yours as only some of mine do. I would have to think that there is a certain amount of significance to the numbers matching on your heads. They represent which size the chambers are, runners etc. so yeah, I think they're important to have the same. Yes you are correct also with regard to the .100" valve stems and longer pushrods. Which shop was it out of curiosity? It's places like them that give those heads a bad rap I believe. And they wonder why some people have problems with them.

Can anyone tell me the approximate length of the throttle cable from pedal to carb on these Camaros? I'm going to buy a Lokar pedal/cable assembly and wanted to save a few bucks with the 24" cable instead of a 36" if possible.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:29 PM
Overdrive Member

As far as the cable goes, go to Autozone and get the Spectre one. Its identicle to the Lokar one and is only about $20. I had one on my car until I tightend the nut too tight on the firewall and snapped it. This would have happened to the Lokar as well. The "tube" that goes through the firewall is threaded on the outside. Both it and the nut are aluminum. I used the square hole that the stock one went through and it would have been fine but I wanted it to sit perfectly flat. also the washer provided doesnt cover all of the square hole. I think that was were I went wrong. Should have just drilled the correct hole if I was that picky about it. As a matter of fact I think I did fill the square one.

I cant remember the shop that sold the heads originally. I know he is a regular on Yellow Bullet and a few other sites so even if I did know I probably would have PM'd you the name, dont want to slander anyone I didnt directly deal with. His name was Chris I think. I still will if I remember. I cleaned my mailbox and dont have the message to go back to. I'll get back with you on them later. They are boxed up and under my bed.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:20 PM
3rd Gear Member

Appreciate the suggestion on the Spectre cable but since it'll cost me about $100 in gas to drive to the nearest Autozone I'll probably just stick with buying the Lokar one. I just wanted to get the length of the cable but I'll just measure the stock one I have when I can get to the Camaro.

I was just curious who the shop was that sold the heads originally. I had heard of a few Ebay sellers putting together "one size fits all" Procomp head packages that would never work right for most engines, especially guys running roller setups. I'm confused about the valves he sent you though, did they come with the heads originally? That just doesn't make sense if they're not .100" longer. I upgraded the valves in the set I bought and I got better springs, seals, retainers etc. also. So what did you do with the Canfields? Man, you've got to have enough parts to build 3-4 Camaros by now eh? I still need to find a template for the 80-81 fender vents or a sweet deal on the actual fenders. I ordered the lower fender patch panels for mine and I'm excited to start practicing with this new welder and then get the fenders fixed up. I even have an extra fender that's in better shape than mine to practice on lol!

Old 03-09-2014, 10:25 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I guess my question to myself would be if I wanted to ruin a good hood by cutting a hole in it, considering what that hood is worth reselling intact once you swap to a new cowl hood? Seems a shame to cut a hole in it and take it from a $150 hood to a $50 hood just to run the scoop for a couple months. If you're set on running that scoop, I'd do so without a hood to retain the value of the hood. Just my opinion, it's your hood.

Quick Reply: The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build