The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 07:45 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The conventional intake manifold vacuum PCV system is only sucking out the crankcase at high vacuum (low throttle). The exhaust hookup is nice since you're not sucking oil fumes into the intake, but it's recommended to be used on open header applications. There's a possibility of the exhaust system creating backpressure at WOT, and causing negative vacuum (psi) to the crankcase. That would be bad, and messy. If one wanted to get away from a conventional manifold vacuum PCV on a street car with full exhaust, an electric vacuum pump might be a safer way to go.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:28 AM
Overdrive Member

That is exactly how I would do it. Maybe with nicer breathers. To me that set up looks like granite counter tops in the projects. (overkill) I would tig a -8/-10 or so fitting to the VC then use a 90* fitting and real braided stainless hose.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you cant pressurize the crankcase. The kits use a check valve. The description says its a drag race only item but I forgot about the check valve. Was thinking up my own to put on then in a duhhh moment, remembered they have one already!

Last edited by 77nomad; 12-07-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:03 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Yes, with the backflow device in the lines it's somewhat like a PCV valve in that it doesn't suck at higher rpm's. But still not sure I'd run them on a mostly street driven car. I do see this setup on some cars at shows, so people are doing it, but I'd guess more to get the serious race theme look.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:03 PM
3rd Gear Member

Am I correct in assuming that kit is for both sides Damon? I still seriously doubt I would do all that extra work to run something like that unless I could see 30+ HP gains to make it worth while. From what you're all saying it is not worth while on my car anyway (street driven.) Damon, the car in the pic is owned by someone down in the Detroit area so you're comment most likely has some validity. Nice looking car though. He's running NOS and I saw slicks in one of his pics so I'm sure he races that car also.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:32 PM
3rd Gear Member

The Camaro's still in there somewhere....At least I think it is.

Attached Thumbnails The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-wp_20140126_11_48_06_pro.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-wp_20140126_11_48_52_pro.jpg  
Old 03-02-2014, 06:26 PM
3rd Gear Member

Hey guys, just thought I'd post an update since it's been a while. Still completely buried in snow and will be probably until May at the rate we're going here in Northern Michigan. Been doing some serious part accumulation though so I should be in pretty good shape when the temps get above freezing, or at least above zero for that matter. I just got my new custom stall converter delivered the other day, that was pretty exciting seeing as I've been waiting to get one for about 6 months now. I changed my mind about what kind of cooling fan I was going to use and bought an electric fan after all. I was just curious about using the stock shroud and thought I'd ask about that. The fan I got has a bit of a shroud, but not like the aluminum deals I've seen. Will the stock shroud help at all as far as concentrating the airflow/pull on the radiator? I'm assuming a shroud would be better than nothing but again, wanted to ask.

Also, since I have everything I need for the trans installation now (aside from the temp gauge sending unit manifold that I'm ordering tomorrow) I was wondering if anyone has an accurate bit of info regarding how much fluid this TH350 should take with the initial filling? I'm not looking for an EXACT amount as I realize that'll be determined when it's warm and I check it. But, I've seen anywhere from less than 5 quarts, to 8, to 10 and everything in between when reading online. I did get a deep pan so I understand that would require more fluid but wanted to get an idea of what I should be expecting when I fill this thing up the first time. It's something that's been on my mind and been wondering about that so I wanted to ask from someone that has maybe done it. Thanks. p.s. the pic is from down the street from my house, it's not me in the pic but shows what it looks like here BEFORE our latest storm this weekend. Can't hardly get the snow over the bank when I shovel my sidewalk! They say we're up to 162" so far this winter.

Attached Thumbnails The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-1606870_10152806157817715_1934685489_n.jpg  
Old 03-03-2014, 09:58 AM
Overdrive Member

Look at me crying about the six feet at the end of the drive. We have a good three to four feet on the ground but holy chit that's a snow bank. I'll have to send you a pic of the snow man my step dad and his friends built in 78. 32' tall with a bushel basket on a broom handle for his pipe.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:05 PM
3rd Gear Member

I've got some crazy pics of my walkway at home on the computer I'll show you when I get back home from Downstate Damon. It's absolutely nuts. I need to get a pic of the front of my mailbox protruding from a '14 snowbank. The one good thing about that is I don't have to worry about the plow trucks destroying it anymore, it's pretty well protected. I should probably mention that I fully understand and acknowledge that plenty of other places have a ton of snow as well. I only mention the snow/cold as it has completely halted any actual progress that I was making on the Camaro project for the last 3 months and most likely, at least the next month.

Forgot to mention that I got my new seats also. Pretty exciting getting them out of the packaging and looking them over until I found the tear in the back of one of them. Damaged in shipping, which should've never happened if the seller would've put some type of packing material around them in the boxes. So, the battle ensues between the seller, me and UPS. I shouldn't have been surprised to see the tear though, it would've been a first if everything went to plans/hopes for a smooth, problem-free event to transpire during this build right?

Attached Thumbnails The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-wp_20140303_15_18_11_pro.jpg  
Old 03-04-2014, 10:12 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

The tear sucks! But worse is the battle with UPS and the seller! UPS will always blame the packaging, and the seller of course blames UPS for damaging the package. In the end the consumer ends up losing, or costing him more money one way or the other!

Old 03-05-2014, 04:20 PM
Overdrive Member

The ups driver for my company comes twice a day so we see each other a lot. Anyhow he said if your ever gonna buy anything don't have it shopped ups. Then he boots a large plasma TV. They abuse crap on purpose and we the consumer pay. Sorry to hear your deal Tim. All I could think a I was reading was. This is par for the course. Hope things work out with out a headache. Worst comes to worst put it toward the inside. At least your can get the repair stuff to match black easily. Not saying you should have to though.

Quick Reply: The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build