The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 09:32 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Sometimes the projects we build and post here seem to get almost no followers, but I think there are many who follow and don't reply at the post.
I've not messed with rebuilding an automatic for the very same reason you found; buying tools that I might not use ever again. The rebuild kits are cheap, and doing it yourself saves a lot of money, but when you factor in all the tools it's not as big a savings on the first trans. If you ever do a 2nd it will be a huge savings having the tools already.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:16 AM
3rd Gear Member

I'm sure you're right Vall, I was just being sarchastic. I did find a spring compressor for $30 which is a heck of a lot better than $150 at other places. I'm not too torn up over having to buy the compressor, I really don't NEED it, just wanted to be safe. I have another trans in the garage that I'll rebuild at some point so I'll use the compressor at least once more. There's always ebay too. As soon as a couple feet of snow melts here I'll start taking an inventory of the pile of parts I've accumulated and don't need, and get to selling. That's always been part of the plan to begin with. I'll be able to recoup some money, just won't be right away and I can deal with that. It's March now, there's hope!!

Old 03-01-2013, 12:41 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I've been following this thread, if that makes you feel any better.
What is the recommended weekly allowance of "attaboy's" to add to the same thread anyway?
I was going to suggest that maybe you start a separate thread on the tranny build,
if you were planning on doing a show & tell.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:52 PM
3rd Gear Member

I thought about doing a separate thread on the TH350 build but I truly don't feel that I have the caliber of knowledge or credentials for that. It's not that I don't have the confidence that this thing will work great, I'm still a first time trans builder. I will say again though that the process is much easier than I would've ever guessed it to be. Lord knows I've taken enough pics to put together a thread. Learning to rebuild this trans was just something that I wanted to do for the personal satisfaction. I'm afraid I must have really messed up if what you got out of my prior post was that I was seeking recognition. The only type of response that I have ever hoped to receive is insight, advice, guidance and clarity to the questions that I have an abundance of. It's my fault for not posting my last few questions in the drivetrain section. The last thing I would want to happen is to give the impression that I don't appreciate all the help that I've received, I was just being sarchastic.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:14 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

lol, between what you and 71 said, you were giving the impression of concern that nobody was watching. Fyi, I watch everything....I just don't always leave droppings!!!
As far as the trans rebuild, assuming it's a success and works fine (with no important leftover parts), you can post up pics and your procedure, and simply leave out the parts where you said "oops", or whatever colorful words you care to insert. Nobody has to be any the wiser!

Old 03-02-2013, 01:02 AM
Overdrive Member

I have two experiences in trannies. 1st was a rebuild with a buddy on a th350. I used it in the Nova for a week, it took a full second to change gear under full power. The second was the Coan powerglide I bought to replace it. I broke the output shaft on it once and replaced it with one from B+M. That was a success but also a minor operation compared to rebuilding one.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:11 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
lol, between what you and 71 said, you were giving the impression of concern that nobody was watching.
Hey, all I said was the same thing...that people look but don't reply always.

[QUOTE=1971BB427;662496]Sometimes the projects we build and post here seem to get almost no followers, but I think there are many who follow and don't reply at the post.
QUOTE]

Old 03-02-2013, 07:16 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 78 on my plate
The last thing I would want to happen is to give the impression that I don't appreciate all the help that I've received, I was just being sarchastic.
I knew you weren't looking for attaboys, just wanting to know if anyone was interested or not. The view numbers tell me a lot of people are looking. (nearly 4600 views)

Old 03-02-2013, 09:08 PM
3rd Gear Member

I'm just letting this one go Vall, in all actuality I wasn't at all concerned about who was watching, only that I had asked a series of questions and didn't get any answers. Like I mentioned, I should've posted trans questions in the drivetrain section, my fault. Didn't mean to let a smart-alick comment turn me into a crybaby lol! I'm sarchastic, what can I say? Moving on now...

It's looking like a superb week to get some more grinding done. I've really let this kinda drag out as even if I was completely done with all the wire wheeling, I wouldn't have been able to get any paint laid down with the temps. Still think it's going to be a while yet but at least now I can really get down to making sure I'm ready when it warms up. Also, should be getting word soon on my heads and seeing some more videos of the progress. I'll try to post up a couple as I get them.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:23 PM
Overdrive Member

He is taking a bit long huh? I am kind of glad I backed out.

Quick Reply: The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build