The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 07:54 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Anything short of the install tool is risking ripping the threads out, or jamming it halfway on! If you have an Autozone closeby use their free rental program! You buy the tool, use it, then bring it back for a full refund if it's less than 45 days.
I do so much engine work for myself and others that I own one, but otherwise I'd get it from Autozone as they're only 5 blocks from me.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:39 PM
3rd Gear Member

I probably won't be doing engine work very often, but will eventually do others. I guess when it comes down to it, I should probably invest in my own tool. I've had to buy plenty of other tools (some very recently) that'll probably only be used once also. I'll most likely get more use out of an installer tool than I will a coil spring compressor! Not sure how much they are but can't be too outrageous. What irritates me is that I've spent enough money of recent on tools that could have bought me almost all of the parts needed to rebuild the front end. Guess that's how it goes.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:10 AM
Overdrive Member

The one from pro Form is about $35 and well worth it. I made a adapter to use one to install the timing gear on the crank too. I always borrow my buddies. Now that I broke it I need my own. Less learned? Dont thread the insert into the crank until it bottoms out. That tightens the insert and broke it. His is warrantied but still I was bummed I broke a friends tool.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:29 AM
3rd Gear Member

I'll look around and see what I can find, got a couple weeks before needing one. Ironically, I have a Boxwrench engine building DVD where the guy uses a Proform tool and his broke also. It snapped off inside the crank and he had to drill it out, needless to say it wasn't very confidence instilling. It certainly wouldn't be the only tool I bought that doesn't have the "made in U.S.A." stamp on it though.

Speaking of overseas tools, I should be getting my new valve spring compressor either today or Monday and can hopefully have the heads finished up and re-assembled next week sometime. Stupid question to ask at this point but should I be relapping the valves when I put them back in? Brand new heads, valves will go back in the same spot they came out of, is lapping needed again?

Old 12-08-2012, 12:30 PM
Overdrive Member

Depends on the mileage. It couldnt hurt but if they were done and then disassembled again then no.

Like I said, dont bottom it out. I broke the one from Autozone too. It turned out my keyway was cocked a little. If you go back to the very beginning of my thread, thats one of the first topics I ever posted about.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:43 PM
3rd Gear Member

They are brand new heads, never been run yet. Guess I'm getting a little ahead of myself anyway. I just want to make sure everything is done right.

It looks like the installer tools vary in price quite a bit. The Power Built one I saw in one of your posts at the beginning (page 17) of your thread runs around $70 from what I saw today on ebay. I'll get it figured out and get one ordered soon. I want to get some serious progress done this week but I still won't be ready to install the balancer. Can't buy any more tools until after the holidays! Still need to plan a trip to GR to do some tool shopping too!

Are your front springs the Eibach Sportlines Damon? I'm thinking about getting a set of those as they lower the front end over 2" and I need that drop to get the right stance. I've got 18" wheels and the front end is way too high after installing them. I'm a little worried about the inner fenders with that drop as it was a little tight the way it was. Just curious, saw the red springs and was just wondering.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:46 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

The one from Autozone is $45 with all the adapters for every common crank size threaded hole. I think HF sells a similar one for $39. An "adapter" for timing gear I use is a 2" piece of ridgid schedule 40 pipe, with a thick washer on top. The tool just pushes on the washer and works great to install gears. Make sure the pipe is cut straight though, or just buy a nipple long enough to seat the gear and not bottom out.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:40 AM
Overdrive Member

Mine is the same as Vals. The springs I have are from Protouringfbody.com. Competition series. Probably quite a bit stiffer than the Eibach's. I know they are way stiffer than the Hotchkis TVS springs.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:54 PM
3rd Gear Member

I found a couple in that price range so I'll be ready when the holidays are over. The Powerbuilt tools seem to be a little beefier than most of the overseas tools that I've seen or had. Might try to get one of those.

I was just curious on the springs, I realized you had said everything you got was from PTFB before. Just wasn't sure if the springs were part of the package you got. New springs are a couple parts down on the list but all part of the stuff I need next. Gotta get some sanding done here pretty quick! With the snow that's coming down right now and tomorrow I had no choice but to get some materials to make a "shield" for my mailbox from the stinkin' plow trucks. These guys seriously think it's a game up here. I measured how close the blade got to my mailbox last year and it was less than 4". Probably why it was laying on the ground broke to pieces. Sorry for the rant, I really don't like having to waste time, money and energy doing something so ignorant.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:21 PM
3rd Gear Member

Just thought I'd post a quick update on here to let everyone know that I chickened out of finishing the porting on my heads. I didn't mess anything up and still think I was doing a pretty good job. It's been a total stroke of luck that I contacted a guy down in TN that does some serious business on heads at just the right time. There's going to be a publicized "Heads Up" competition between 3 different brands of heads. ProComps (mine), Patriots and Brodix Track I's, all of which he'll be doing at the same time (not literally.) Big differences in price tags for the different heads but this guy is out to prove that it can be done with the heads everyone seems to love to hate. The details are being worked out with the publishers now on the progress and results and will be a lot more to follow. Man did I get lucky with my timing on reaching out to this guy. Hoping I'm allowed to post a link to this contest on here as it's shaping up to be quite an ordeal already with the trash talkin'. Going to be video updates, commentary and final results. Anyone think they have an idea of who will win on numbers?? We shall see...

Feels good to be excited about something with this Camaro project and maybe this will get my butt busy on other things that need to get done! I was stressing big-time over messing up these heads and with the work that's going to be done on them, at the prices this guy charges (if I can afford it ANYONE can) I can keep moving forward.

Quick Reply: The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build