The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 09:04 AM
3rd Gear Member

Can't go wrong with those! Better to get that stuff for gifts than having to buy them yourself. I have to buy socks in bulk due to my left foot being so messed up from severed nerves during back surgery. My foot is basically dead, doesn't perspire anymore which is good to cut down on the stank. However, the skin on my heel is probably the equivalent of a dual cut carbide burr. I can wear a new pair of socks 2-3 times before there's a giant hole in the heel.

Really not sure why I just rambled on about undergarments...

My daughter is obsessed with getting me a creeper for Christmas so I might have to get myself one more gift. I could never use one but I don't think that is the ultimate plan anyway! It'll be more of a gift for me/her. I'm completely fine with that though if it keeps her out in the garage with me. Wonder if they make a Craftmatic Adjustable or "creep number" creeper? Now THAT would be a gift!

Old 12-06-2012, 10:31 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 78 on my plate

My daughter is obsessed with getting me a creeper for Christmas so I might have to get myself one more gift. I could never use one but I don't think that is the ultimate plan anyway! It'll be more of a gift for me/her. I'm completely fine with that though if it keeps her out in the garage with me. Wonder if they make a Craftmatic Adjustable or "creep number" creeper? Now THAT would be a gift!
Those nice contoured, oversized creepers are on sale at HF now for $19.99 at HF. Just got the online coupon this morning! I'm still using a 50 yr. old wood one I bought as a teenager!

Old 12-06-2012, 03:41 PM
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the heads up Vall! I checked HF and didn't see the one you're referring to. Call me cheap, but the only one I saw in that price range was for $25 and it's pretty basic. I'll probably still get it for my daughter to use but I'd really love to find a heavily padded one that has the adjustable head rest like one that HF has for $40ish. Me and laying flat don't mix. I've had to sleep in a reclining chair for the past 4+ years because I can't lay in my own bed, even with pillows all stacked around. It would actually be nice to find a creeper that would work for me but I'm not holding my breath.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:33 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

This is the one on sale for $20. (69262) That's half price, as they're usually $39.99:

It's not an Lazy Boy recliner, but it's contoured better than the old flat ones like mine, and cutouts for your arms to keep from digging into your arm while working.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:11 AM
3rd Gear Member

Just read the reviews on these.... Think you better stick with your old creeper. I might as well just get the POS from Walmart and not pay for shipping. As much as I'd love to have a nice one and be able to utilize it, I'm really doing this for the novelty of it. It's cheap, and will put a smile on my girl's face come Christmas morning when I open it and be completely "surprised" by her generous gift. Now that I think about it, while I'm at that store I'm going to get another cheapo floor jack so I can have make-shift dolleys to move the shell around the garage while it's apart. This'll work out great! I'm glad we discussed this now. Got the gifts from the kids all figured out and I'll actually get some use out of them (well most anyway.)

Old 12-07-2012, 03:33 AM
Overdrive Member

I did see a creeper that did recline slightly. I forget where. I dont use one YET. I tried using my dads when I was young and had long hair. Rolled that chit through there one good time and have been laying on cardboard ever since. Most of the time I'm on the floor but in the cold I have a memory foam thing that was for our bed that neithe rof us liked. So instead of the trash I lay under the car on it. No better insulation. It can be 30* on the concrete. That mat is 3" thick and is comfy as heck too. You may want to look into one for your back. I'm not saying its perfect but its nearly like working on a car lying in bed. The hard part is you cant drip oil on it and trannies dont slide across them. Sometimes its hard to find the tools i set down too.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:12 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Watch out for those metal framed creepers with the tubing that drops the platform down! I got one of those as a gift years ago, and it had the adjustable headrest. Thought it was really nice until the first time I used it and it pinched the crap out of my arm! The dropped platform lets you lay in an area that when the wheels swivel they can trap your arm skin between the tubing and the wheel and give one heck of a blood blister!
I gave mine away, and warned them to rivet some metal over the wheels to make sure they didn't get pinched using it! So if you get one make a guard between the rails and the platform at the center wheel area before even using it!

Old 12-07-2012, 11:19 AM
3rd Gear Member

I really doubt I'll ever find something creeper-wise that'll work for me. I like the idea of some sort of foam layer either on the ground or on a creeper. Being on the ground is tough, standing back up afterward is even tougher! Can't change that so whatever it takes I guess. I appreciate the warning about the frames/casters too!

Got my coil spring compressor today so after I get this belt changed on the truck (it finally got here too) I might get to a little bit of the subframe teardown this weekend. It's been a weird week and I'm ready to make some progress that's for sure.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:34 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I use my creeper occasionally, but I've got a old carpet runner from the house that I use mostly. It's about 2' wide, and 8' long, so I just roll it up when I'm not using it, and roll it out to lay on. As Damon mentioned, it really insulates from the cold concrete, and keeps me from sliding around when I'm pulling hard to break a bolt loose. The creeper is a hindrance when pulling or pushing, as it moves easily.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:23 PM
3rd Gear Member

I yanked the big fancy trunk mat out of the Cadillac that's carpeted on one side and rubber on the other. That's what I usually use when I have to get underneath one of the vehicles. I just can't do it very well, which sucks. The creeper might get tried out once when I'm getting at the floors with the wire wheel but other than that, I doubt anyone but my kids will use it. Was thinking abou rolling a couple towels up for under my lower back and neck and that might help a bit.

Had some luck today and was able to change out the serp belt on the truck in about 10 minutes. There's a first. Something actually going as planned on that dang Ford. I can finally drive that thing down the road with the ticking of an exhaust manifold leak OR a crazy chirping/squealing belt sound. Funny story today - I had my kids believing that it was a mouse that was making the noise that the belt was making. Not sure where it was exactly, but when I was changing the belt, half of a mouse (head and part of the body) fell out from around the pulleys. I showed them the carcass and said "see, the mouse was saying owe owe owe owe everytime the belt went around and that's the noise you heard!" Morbid, yes I know, but another one of those times where the facial expressions were worth every bit of morbidity.

Question - When I get ready to reinstall the harmonic balancer, is there a way to safely do it without having an installer tool? Not looking to strip out the thread in the crank OR beat it on there but wondered if I can have success tightening it on there with the balancer bolt. Think I know the answer but hope I'm wrong.

Quick Reply: The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build