The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 09:20 AM
3rd Gear Member

Couple update pics, steering shaft mounted and done. Got the driver side leaf and sfc installed too. Had to cut the outside lip of the sub frame to get the connector to slide in where it needed to be but not a big problem. I'm really not liking the way these sfc's sit in there, riding right on the floor in 2 spots. Just doesn't seem real sturdy/tough where it mounts to the sub frame. That top U-shaped bracket hanging off the actual connector does not seem to me to add a whole lot of strength. Of course I have to get everything else mounted, engine/trans installed and down on the ground before I have an informed opinion here but they hang down farther than I was really hoping they would. Kinda rules out having the exhaust exit in front of the rear tires. Still progress nonetheless.

Attached Thumbnails The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn3709.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn3711.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-fota01c.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-wp_20131023_001.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-wp_20131023_011.jpg  

Old 10-24-2013, 10:25 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I would think that sitting snug against the floor pan or bracing would be a good thing, as any lower would be bad for ground clearance, and not as strong as against the floor braces. Could even tack them to the floor braces if it develops a squeak from metal to metal. Or maybe put a piece of inner tube rubber between floor and SFC before it's all bolted solid?
The exhaust can still be routed under it, and the closer to the rear tire, the better for ground clearance. Just need to go under and offset up again so it wont be hanging too low as it exits the underside. Had to do the same thing on my Falcon when I went the other direction from my fenderwell headers under the subframe to get inside and run back to the tail pipes. Fortunately the high ground clearance I have didn't create any issues like a 2nd gen has.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:05 AM
3rd Gear Member

I'll just have to see where things end up after the rest of the weight is applied and I get everything torqued down. It's hitting the actual pan in one spot, not just the brace. My first thought also was to use a piece of something between the sfc and floor to avoid noises so I'll probably do that. Still completely undecided what I'll end up doing for the exhaust after the x-pipe/mufflers. Still have a couple things to do before the exhaust is ran. I hope to get the rest of the pass side installed today, actually took the day off yesterday like previously stated to try and reduce some pain.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:07 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

You could always take the exhaust out the back like the factory, but in true duals. Kits for a full dual are really inexpensive now. I see Jegs seems to have the best prices at around $160 from collector to bumper, including handgers and clamps.

Old 10-25-2013, 04:52 PM
3rd Gear Member

I've actually got enough stainless pipe here to do 2 true dual setups. Even have the pieces already bent for over the axle with the giant Magnaflow 18" tips. I personally don't like the look of the pipes being fully exposed after the axle like Camaro's have. I might do something out of the ordinary and bring them out the back but closer together. Just don't know yet, still might do Supertrapp's too. I love the sound of these Spintech's as well which is why I'm completely undecided at this point. Would certainly be a good problem to have if I was anywhere near that stage of the game where it even mattered!

Old 10-28-2013, 08:47 PM
3rd Gear Member

Just a little update on the progress. Usually it's easier the second time around when you're working on various things such as, oh say, shackle installations! I had to wait almost 3 weeks to get the new, backordered shackle bolts. Driver side went in just fine, leaf spring and sfc went in fine also after a little grinding on the frame. Passenger side is now done, but what a complete nightmare that was. I got the shackle bolts from Summit, they're AMD brand. Bolt itself was fine, you could tell where it was made, the nut however was either defective or the threads were made from plastic. I hadn't even tightened it up when I noticed the nut was just spinning and not ever getting any tighter. I tried to remove it and again it just spun. Didn't leave me much choice so I got the grinder out to try and carefully get it cut off. Didn't work out so well for me. Finally got it cut off but hit the threads in 2 spots enough to where I didn't feel comfortable using it again. I run inside and try to reorder one and they're backordered again!! I spent the entire afternoon driving around town looking for a place that might have them with no luck. I get home and look at the old bolts and then realize that only one of them was actually bad! So anyway, long rambling story short (not really) I decide to use the old bolt and it goes in like butter. Leaf and sfc are installed now on both sides. Actually I won't rant anymore but getting the front of the leaf and sfc mounted with the perch bolts was ridiculous as well. I got it though. Propane ran out and it got really cold out there so I called it quits until tomorrow. Should be able to drop the rear end down onto the springs now and get the sway bar installed. I've got more pics but don't have them on the computer yet. Hopefully I can post full completed suspension pics tomorrow.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:02 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Getting good parts/tools these days is getting harder all the time! I was installing my line lock recently when my vacuum pump gave up. It pumped, but wouldn't hold vacuum. (bad check valve) So I figured HF had them on sale, and I drove out and bought a replacement for $23. Got home and pulled it from the box. Tried to pump it and the first squeeze it broke internally! Drive 15 miles back to HF and decided to spring for the name brand Mityvac pump for another $16. I complained at the checkout about the wasted gas and two trips, and the guy gave me the "club" price, so only another $7. Hope the Mityvac is a lot better unit than the Chinese junk! It looks rebuildable, and is a much nicer looking unit.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:54 AM
3rd Gear Member

I agree 100%. Never would've thought that I'd have a problem with a 1/2 axle bolt, well, actually it wasn't the bolt but the cheap, made in a place east of here nut that AMD decided to put on the end of it. I don't want to jinx myself here but I've been lucky so far with the things bought from HF. I keep waiting to get something that is DOA or breaks the first time you use it. Man I shouldn't be talking about this, just got one of their 90 amp flux core welders sitting out there waiting to be used!!

Old 10-29-2013, 07:04 PM
3rd Gear Member

Couple update pics as promised. Got the rear end in (technically) and got most of the sway bar installed. As with any/everything else on this project, I have to do everything twice. I learned that there is a way to install the rear sway bar backward and had to take it back off and reinstall it the proper way. I'm assuming the rear end will have to be lifted up a little bit in order to get the bushings high enough up as to fit in the link brackets. That's gonna be fun.

OK, let's play a little "How well do you know Camaro's" trivia - What's wrong with the last pic I posted? The incomplete sway bar doesn't count. However a hint, it pretty much is in line with what I said above.

Attached Thumbnails The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn3713.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn3714.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn3726.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn3729.jpg  
Old 10-29-2013, 08:03 PM
Overdrive Member

Is the leaf plate on the wrong way? Shock mounts are on the outside correct?

Last edited by 77nomad; 10-29-2013 at 08:11 PM.

Quick Reply: The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build