The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 09:57 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I had fun getting all my poly bushings in their various pieces! I used bushing grease to get them to go in, and my 12 ton press to force some of them in without damaging them. I even put a couple on my belt sander and beveled the leading edge so they'd start without tearing the bushing up.
The subframe should be in and bolted solid before installing the connectors, so it wont put things in a bind when it's bolted in. I slid mine in at the front, and then bolted them to the rear spring perches loosely. Then I tightened up the front, and rear to get it all solid. Once I got it all snugged down, I went in with my Mig welder and tacked it in several places front and rear.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:25 AM
3rd Gear Member

I wasn't having many problems with these bushings going into the leafs and frame rails but the sleeves were a bear to install afterward. The small bushings that go into the links for the rear sway bar were the worst. I used my vice and a couple of washers so I didn't damage the bushing (or paint) and finally got them. That bushing lube is more like glue than grease! Horrible.
I'm trying to get the subframe bolted in first so I can get the sfc's in and then bolt up the leafs. Had to get the rear end jacked up (2 floor jacks) and on stands so I could then use a jack to lift the front of the shell up and get the stands out of the way so the subframe can roll into it's spot. PITA doing it alone LOL! I'll have to raise the rear end up higher afterward so I can get the springs/perches lifted up and secured then drop the diff down onto the springs basically. Looking forward to getting this next part done, soon!

Old 10-21-2013, 09:35 PM
3rd Gear Member

She's a roller again! Even without the entire front clip it's amazing how much it actually looks like a car now, LOL! Didn't get the rear end installed yet, of course the sfc's don't want to fit right into the subframe opening so I need to do some whittlin' on the end of them. I'll get it tomorrow though. I have run into a little issue though that I'm wondering if there is some good quality advice available on. Maybe I should've lined up the steering shaft with the rag joint when I rolled the subframe into place? Can't get the shaft down over the pins/bolts on the rag joint now. Would I be better off removing the subframe bolts and re-doing it or should I just loosen up the gear box or the knuckle on the shaft? Would rather not start chewing up fresh paint on the shaft unless that's the best choice. Any help and/or guidance would be very much appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn3701.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn3702.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn3703.jpg  
Old 10-21-2013, 10:54 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Wow! Major step to get her back on all 4's again!
Yeah, that grease for the bushings looks like Vaseline, but sticks like glue! Hard to use it, and not end up sticking to everything! Not easy to clean up either, but it sure works and stays in place!

Old 10-22-2013, 05:36 PM

I like the set up but why 2 tachs

Old 10-22-2013, 07:19 PM
3rd Gear Member

I'm ambidextrous citaliono68. Actually, it's one for each personality. Nah, just playin' of course. Not sure what you mean by 2 tachs? There's only 1 tach, the factory tach in the dash will no longer be used if that's what you're referring to? I have the new tach (mounted on dash in pics) and that'll be it. Appreciate the comments sir.

I did get the steering shaft mounted onto the rag joint today, dropped the subframe back down, rolled it out a bit and then rolled it back into place. I realized in my haste I had forgotten to topcoat the 2 spots where the jack stands were holding the shell up at the #2 mounting points anyway so it needed to be dropped down again. Steering works superb too! Not much other progress today, celebrated turning 40 with a heat pack on my elbow, must've done something out in the garage and messed it up. How fitting considering the age right? LOL

Old 10-23-2013, 09:53 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

40! That's funny! I can just barely remember 40! Happy birthday!

Old 10-23-2013, 10:58 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Yeah, happy birthday kiddo!

Old 10-23-2013, 11:26 AM
3rd Gear Member

Appreciate it gentlemen. I said something similar when my buddy told me "welcome to the 40's!" I replied with "am I 40 this year, I can't remember? Must've got a little dementia for a present!" Ironically, my elbow issue (feels like I threw my arm out) progressed/digressed into a terrible kink in the left side of my neck. Must've been when I was trying to get the body mount bolts in? Here it comes again - I can't remember. Wasn't quite ready for a break but I'll be taking one anyway. Never been one to get all wrapped up in actual age "numbers" and have always said you're only as old as you feel. I better stop saying that at this point otherwise i'd be 40 twice over! Thanks again for the wishes guys.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:09 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Man, I'm glad I'm not 40 any more! lol

Quick Reply: The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build