The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 09:26 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

My only concern with Traps out the side (or any good sized exhaust) would be ground clearance. Especially going in or out a driveway or speed bumps. Since 2nd gens sit low enough, and many people lower them a little more; they might hit on driveways and speed bumps. The area between the front-rear wheels is the biggest issue when it comes to ground clearance.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:27 AM
Overdrive Member

I have only had a a three wheeler with one. No worries about the carbon there!

Old 09-13-2014, 07:58 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I had one on my Honda 450 four stroke dirt bike, and loved it. No issues with carbon on anything, as there's nothing close to the baffles. I liked the way they can tune the backpressure to make the engine have more or less low end or top end.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:09 PM
3rd Gear Member

One thing I will say that I don't like about the Trapp's is the price tag! I could buy my cowl hood for less than a pair of the stainless ones and the hood will come before another set of mufflers for sure. Getting way far ahead of myself talking about replacement exhaust as it is. I went and got some stainless mounting hardware today for the hangers and have one side just about done. I'm using some 1/8" aluminum stock and just making my own hangers. Really wish I wouldn't have been so lazy today and gotten more done in the garage, thanks a lot Hot Rod Drag Week! Actually, watching all that drag racing is quite motivational, makes me want to sign up next year. The Cadi would've beat more than 60 of the daily driver class participants that I saw this year. Ironic that I was thinking the Cadillac over the Camaro since it probably won't be running by then either lol! Anyway, once I get all these crumb-snatchers outta here tomorrow (kids had friends over to stay) I plan on finishing the affixing of the exhaust and listening to the Camaro start and run. Hope the new and improved heater hose couplers are leak resistant since I haven't turned the key since getting that stuff fixed. Finally supposed to warm back up to around 60 tomorrow and if so, couldn't ask for better weather to get things going with the Camaro. I hope to share a video of a good running and sounding 327 tomorrow evening.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:23 PM
3rd Gear Member

I got the homemade hangers installed this evening. I believe they will work out really well as long as the clamp holding the hanger doesn't get up against the floor when I lower the car back down. Maybe others have done this same thing before, but I thought my idea was pretty crafty with the rubber hanger piece(s) that I had leftover from another vehicle. They fit great in the seat belt support area so I thought I'd add them to help with any vibration. They didn't want to fit over the bottom part where the bolt come through so I cut 'em in half. Pics were taken before I tightened everything down and decided to move the rubber hanger piece so the middle slid over the bolt. Just cut some aluminum pieces and drilled holes in them. Slid the piece over the seat belt bolt and used these leftover stainless C clamps I had to fasten the hanger to. I'm extremely happy that I was able to install the entire exhaust system without using any parts that will rust, and/or welds. Waiting on the last 2 band clamps to get here tomorrow and I can get those on the collector-X pipe pieces. Still trying to decide on turn outs or using these 18" Magnaflow tips and bringing them straight off the muffler with a small piece of pipe. I slid one onto the muffler and they will line up on either side of the differential housing. They would sit just above the bottom of the housing so I don't think they'd be too low. It's either that or a simple turnout tip, but I'd have to order those and spend more money so I'll get that figured out sometime soon here. That won't stop me from getting back toward the ignition key and getting this Camaro running good. I did start it up quickly this evening and it sounds pretty good. I'm not a fan of how anything sounds with just mufflers off the end of pipes so I really don't have a completely informed opinion of how it'll sound exactly yet. Didn't try to run it very long tonight, really sore from being on the ground and it was getting late and chilly.

Can't get this clip to upload to photobucket for some reason? It's a short one anyway but maybe I can get it posted later on. I plan on spending a couple hours out there tomorrow to try and get it to run under 2500 rpms before I head downstate for the week. Sure would be nice to get this timing situation figured out since it's gone on for far too long. If this car is going to roll down the road this year it's gotta be soon. Temps already dropping into the 30's at night here. Maybe I can find some kick-*** snow tires for it?

Attached Thumbnails The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-wp_20140914_20_27_28_pro.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-wp_20140914_20_27_13_pro.jpg  

Last edited by 78 on my plate; 09-14-2014 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:00 AM
Overdrive Member

I like that! Good work Tim. Its been getting damn cold here too.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:00 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

You guys sure got short changed on summer this year! We were 90 degrees yesterday, and los in the mid 50's. But rain is coming this week, and may mess up our Wed. night cruise!

Old 09-15-2014, 11:38 AM
3rd Gear Member

Appreciate that Damon, it turned out really well. I'm so glad the hangers ended up being an easy and extremely cost effective solution to getting this exhaust done. Seeing as Summit/Jegs want $30 a pop for stainless hangers, those would've ended up costing almost as much as the X pipe! Ended up with a $14 hit to my debit card for the aluminum and 2 stainless C -clamps. The clamps were a huge score actually, found 'em in the automotive aisle at Meijer, right next to the bangin' LED light strips and skull valve stem caps! HA!! $7.98 for both and I had money left over from a $10 bill for my kids to ride Sandy the horse 202 times!

We did indeed get short changed on summer this year Vall! Actually, we never really move from spring into summer here. Didn't get to the beach, not one time. Literally had one week that was in the 80's and I wasn't even home that week. After the 219+ inches of snow last winter, it was a real let down for sure. Hoping at this point, we can sustain the 50/60s well into November and not have 2' of snow before Thanksgiving, or Halloween for that matter. I've already decided to start packing a box per year for my move outta here after my kids graduate from school. That way, when they do graduate, I'll be ready to load the U-Haul right after commencement! This wagon is headed south, just not for another 10/11 years...

Old 09-16-2014, 02:27 AM
Overdrive Member

We never hit 90* this year. It was an oddity but after that last winter I knew we were in for a cold summer. At least the lakes filled back up! I remember a few years back when the governor of Arizona was telling congress they should pipe our water down south. That one bothered me. There was a representative from down here that summed it up for them. He said "you can try but I suspect the militia will me you at the state line." I liked that! Anyhow, it has been raining and in the mid 50's for two weeks here. Matter of fact I need to take the AC unit out of the window because the rain keeps waking me up!

Old 09-17-2014, 10:24 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 78 on my plate

We did indeed get short changed on summer this year Vall! Actually, we never really move from spring into summer here. Didn't get to the beach, not one time. Literally had one week that was in the 80's and I wasn't even home that week. After the 219+ inches of snow last winter, it was a real let down for sure. Hoping at this point, we can sustain the 50/60s well into November and not have 2' of snow before Thanksgiving, or Halloween for that matter. I've already decided to start packing a box per year for my move outta here after my kids graduate from school. That way, when they do graduate, I'll be ready to load the U-Haul right after commencement! This wagon is headed south, just not for another 10/11 years...
Went fishing all day yesterday, and got a good sunburn on my lower legs. Even after spending all summer in shorts, and figuring my tan would protect me!
If you box up everything for a move, and you don't need what's in the boxes for the next 10 years, then might as well take the boxes to the Goodwill before you move!

Quick Reply: The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build