The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 09:33 PM
3rd Gear Member

I cut just in from each side on the top, not around the side and then across the top edge so I can fold just the top of it up/back. From what I can tell, it should give me full access to everything. Vall, I really think only the driver side is glowing, not sooner than the other. I don't think the passenger side glows at all. Don't know how that's possible, but then again nothing really makes much sense to me with this engine anymore. I should take pics of both sides of the tubes so you could see what I mean. I'm going to verify for certain tomorrow along with checking the valves. With a single plane could it still make one side glow if there was something going on with that respective side of the carb? I installed new needles/seats with the carb rebuild and ironically, that's the side where the needle didn't fall back out of the seat as easily as the other side. I'm just curious, it's not flooding but I do wonder if it could even be a possibility to have one side of the carb causing headers on one side to glow like that?

Old 10-06-2014, 09:58 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

As I mentioned, if it's a valve adjustment, then that can easily be a single cylinder, a couple cylinders, or any combination of one side, or both. Really depends on which are too tight.
Regardless of whether it's just one side glowing, once yo get one side adjusted while running, I'd move the valve cover over and check the other side. After you're done you'll know if all was good or what was possibly out of adjustment.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:43 PM
3rd Gear Member

I realize that it can be any of those combinations, but that still doesn't address my one side of the carb question. Not trying to say that valve lash isn't a possibility, would just like to know in addition to that possibility. In all honesty, the way I set the lash, I'd have to assume that if one is too tight then they all are. They were all set the exact same way with the lifters in the same spot on the cam lobes. Compression stroke #1, exhaust open then close, intake open and as soon as it closed I set both on that cylinder. From there following the firing order it was only a quarter turn to bring the intake lifter to closed position and I could set both on that one. As you're aware, you can set all the rockers that way by only turning the engine over one full revolution. They were all set the exact same way, it would be extremely strange to only have one or two too tight, let alone all 4 on one side only. I'm going to redo them all while it's running, but I'd still very much like to know if one side of the carb not functioning properly could make that side of the headers glow with a single plane intake. If nothing else, I'd like to know simply for the sake of knowing. Not making assumptions about that causing the issues. Still trying to eliminate possibilities. I'm on a hot streak now though, 3 days in a row and the timing has been in the same place it was the day before! Once again, it's the little things. LOL!

Old 10-07-2014, 09:42 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Not sure how to say this without being repetitive, but the way you're doing it allows for error, as you're still guessing at where the lobe is, unless you set the valves with a degree wheel on the balancer. Yes, you set them all the same way, but since that way allows for minor discrepancies in lobe location, then there can also be minor discrepancies in the settings of each valve. Doing them all the same doesn't mean they're all correct, or all wrong. It just means they all have the same chance of being slightly off, or OK.
It's such a quick and simple thing to set the lash while it's running with the cover you made, and a gasket glued to the cover to keep the oil contained. And once you've got them all set it will put the valve lash question to bed, and you'll know if that solves your problem. Two covers would make things even easier, as you can do them all without stopping to put one cover back on, before moving on to the other side.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:31 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 78 on my plate
I realize that it can be any of those combinations, but that still doesn't address my one side of the carb question. Not trying to say that valve lash isn't a possibility, would just like to know in addition to that possibility. I'm going to redo them all while it's running, but I'd still very much like to know if one side of the carb not functioning properly could make that side of the headers glow with a single plane intake. If nothing else, I'd like to know simply for the sake of knowing. Not making assumptions about that causing the issues. Still trying to eliminate possibilities.

I'm sorry you felt that it needed to be explained again about how I set the valve lash leaving the possibility of being too tight. Definitely wasn't trying to defend the way I set them. I only typed out what I did again and made the comment about how I feel if one is too tight then they all probably are. I even said in the last few posts that I'm going to reset the rockers while it's running, and that's also why I took your advice and cut the top of an old valve cover sir. The only question I had in my last post (I tried to ask clearly) was about if it's possible to have one side of the carb not functioning properly and making headers glow on that respective side.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:26 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I've never experienced a carb issue that would make the headers glow. One side, or both sides. Just haven't found that a carb issue would create a situation where headers would glow. The usual issue would be if the carb was too rich on either side, the plugs would foul. If the carb is too lean the engine will exhibit fuel starvation, and not rev well. A too lean situation can rarely create any idling issues, as a lean situation will not usually show at idle, with throttle blades nearly closed. The only things I've ever seen that made headers glow were either timing, or valve adjustment.
I suppose their might be a case where a obstruction would be so great that the engine would be lean enough not to idle, but that would not cause the headers to glow, as there wouldn't be enough fuel for that to happen.
Apologize if my post came off wrong. I just think that adjusting the valves while running may either cure the problem, or at least eliminate any questions about the possibility of lifter pump up. I sure thought mine were adjusted properly, and avoided readjusting them, as the way I did them with the engine off has worked for almost 50 years for me.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:18 PM
3rd Gear Member

No worries Vall, I just wasn't sure if you were thinking that I was trying to explain why I didn't need to adjust the rockers. I just wanted to find out about the carb question on top of the rocker resetting discussion. Appreciate the insight, I was just hoping to find out if there could even be a possibility of the carb being an issue on one side or not. I did read last night however a lean situation (generates more heat) would/could definitely cause a glowing header. Also read an article from Hot Rod Magazine where a guy was having problems with glowing headers (327 ironically too) and they said that if the timing issues were resolved then it's either being caused by a fuel distribution problem or a vacuum leak. Now, I'm not saying that to debate anything of course, I still have yet to verify timing issues are in check whether it be ignition or valve timing. I only mention that as that's what I just read. This guy was running a dual plane intake though and that's another reason why I was asking if it was possible in my situation with a single plane. I had every intention of getting out and resetting the rockers today but was unsuccessful. First thing I'm going to do is get it running and find out for certain if it's only one side or both that's glowing. Then I'll swap out valve covers and get at the rocker adjustment, both sides regardless of one or both sides glowing. Would it be a good idea to loosen all the rockers slightly first before starting the engine to reset them? I'm not talking about having them flopping around but just a little bit? I guess I could just loosen the poly locks and start it up since the nuts are so easy to turn once the poly locks are loosened, just wondering.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:58 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

No, I wouldn't loosen any rockers, or you'll have so much noise you wont hear the one you're adjusting. Loosen one at a time until it clicks, and then tighten just enough to quiet it. Take a look at how much oil is coming out each pushrod too! If they are too tight, the oil will barely be coming out, and as you loosen and adjust each rocker, you'll see the oiling get better.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:08 PM
3rd Gear Member

I tried two different times today to get the rockers all checked and readjusted. Couldn't get the engine to stay running today. It will start right up like always just wouldn't stay running for more than 10-15 seconds, kept stalling. I tried adjusting the idle screw and it still wouldn't stay running. Not sure if it's the colder temps or what? I'm hoping tomorrow it'll decide to run so I can get these darn things adjusted. I want to keep the idle where it's been at least, not higher. Higher rpms will mean higher pressure and probably a bigger mess. Not looking forward to doing this as it is, why not stretch it out for a week right? Really hoping it doesn't make too big of a mess, especially with headers that'll be glowing hot!

Old 10-09-2014, 07:27 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Yeah, I have had real mess issues. But the open top valve cover, and a gasket glued to the cover really eliminates any mess. No big hurry, so maybe it will cooperate in a week. Another odd thing to not want to run in the cold? Usually they take a bit longer to warm up, but once warmed up they run the same.

Quick Reply: The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build