The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 12:41 PM
3rd Gear Member

I decided to just go ahead and get a new rag joint ordered today. Not sure why I was so compelled to do this now as it's nowhere close to something needed at this point. Guess it was on my mind and now it's one less thing I need to worry about. $46, not worth it still in my opinion but better than some of the prices i've seen out there for the exact same part#. Gotta get that grinder spinnin' here pretty quick as there's a ton of stuff I could be getting finished up at this point. Hope it's a productive week, pics to follow!

Old 01-06-2013, 04:08 PM
Overdrive Member

I want to say I gave a good $100 when I got mine. I got the steering rebuild from the same place I got my suspension from. The only thing I can chalk it up to is he guaranteed every part he sold me was made in the USA. I didnt think much about it at the time because I bought a $600 steering box, the $100 rag joint seemed cheap I guess.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:06 PM
3rd Gear Member

Now that's a job in itself right there, can't believe how difficult it is to build American Muscle with parts made in the USA! I had the best of intentions when I started this endeavor but quickly learned that it's next to impossible.

I did get a good price on the rag joint considering the average price on ebay was between $60-$84 for the same part. I've said this before (and I know I'm not the only one) but there's some parts I don't mind spending the $ on as much. There are some however that I just can't justify no matter how much they're needed. Not like I have much of a choice but it drives me nuts. Maybe I should just get those parts bought first and outta the way?? Save myself some extended grief.

Last edited by 78 on my plate; 01-07-2013 at 01:04 AM.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:03 PM
3rd Gear Member

So the crazy weird/bad luck continues... Took advantage of the warm weather today and decided to get the front suspension all removed from the subframe and ran into a little hang up trying to remove the springs. Apparantly there's different sized spring compressors out there, which I never knew since they usually don't state the size of the threaded rod that's included in the kit. The rod is just slightly bigger than the hole for the top shock mount. Frustrated doesn't quite cover it. Now, would it be catastrophic if I drilled out the hole a smidge? The rod almost threads into the hole but won't slide through it. Since I've got the subframe all spread out in pieces where I normally park my Truck in the garage (and snow's coming tonight) I'm really not wanting to look for another compressor and probably have the same problem.

Attached Thumbnails The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn2493.jpg  
Old 01-12-2013, 11:20 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I don't use a spring compressor to take the front suspension apart. In fact I usually want it to be in there to get the lower ball joint out of the spindle! I back the lower nut off until it's flush with the end, and then use the spring tension to pull on it as I either tap on the spindle outter surface to work it loose, or use a pickle fork to pop it loose. Without the spring tension there, it's nearly impossible to get the lower ball joint loose from the spindle.
Once it pops loose I put a floor jack under the A arm and keep pressure on it until I get the nut off. Then I simply lower the floor jack until the spring is relaxed.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:35 AM
3rd Gear Member

I've already got the bottom nut flush with the end but really didn't think that would work with just a floor jack under the lower control arm and no weight at all on the subframe? I'll need a spring compressor to put the new springs in too, just can't believe it won't fit through the hole where the shock mounts. Will it hurt anything if I open the hole up a very little bit? Wish I could've got this finished tonight, I was so close!

Old 01-13-2013, 01:14 AM
Overdrive Member

Put the spring compressor rod through the shock hole and only use the bottom hooks. The easiest way I know of with subframe out of the car.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:50 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 78 on my plate
just can't believe it won't fit through the hole where the shock mounts.
Does that mean it's ok to drill the hole out a little bit????

Old 01-14-2013, 12:58 AM
Overdrive Member

LOL a bit wont hurt. 9/16" probably

Old 01-14-2013, 08:04 AM
3rd Gear Member

Good deal, thanks for the reassurance Damon. I decided to go ahead and drill the hole out a little bit yesterday and got one of the springs out already. I figured if anything I'd put a thin grommet in the hole and it should be fine. Didn't have to open it up much. Never heard of a spring compressor not fitting like that, especially the one I bought that states right on the cover of the kit "For U.S. vehicles." I'm going to try and get the last one out today so it'll be all done and get to sanding. Those last few warm days were nice, but what an harsh reminder of how much easier things would be if it was spring!! Not good to go from 52 degrees to 20 in a day. End of the week is supposed to be a high of 11 degrees! This new heater is gonna get a workout!

Quick Reply: The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build