The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 08:58 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You know what can be frustrating? When you step on the brake pedal and hear a hissing of air. Then you replace the power brake booster because that's gotta be what's leaking. Only to find out that the new power booster didn't fix the leak at all because it was the bad vacuum switch doing the hissing all the while. This while working in the cramped environment of a C3 Vette. Naaaaah, didn't happen to me....I wish!!!! lol Am I ever going to forget how the cruise control defeat switch works? Nope!

Old 11-15-2013, 10:46 PM
3rd Gear Member

That had to be a rough lesson to learn right there. You mean to tell me that you threw parts at a problem in hopes of fixing it? I hate to feel better at someone else's expense but.... It only took me about a week, but I can optimistically say that if this Camaro had an engine in it and it rolled, it would most likely stop too! Exciting times around here I tell ya! Progress is being made so I'm content. Slow and steady. While we're on the topic of vacuum (the word was used anyway) and as much as I hate to say it, I could quite possibly have an issue with a lack of vacuum for these power brakes. My cam is a hydraulic flat tappet fatty. 295/295 and .534 lift. The ever so helpful Tech Support professional at Lunati that I spoke with today explained ever-so-thoroughly that "NO, it won't run power brakes." The last thing that I wanted to install was a vacuum canister. Don't have a specifically legitimate reason behind saying that other than I simply didn't want a coffee can lookin' part anywhere near this Camaro. With that said, I don't know how/where to install one if in fact I do need one. Making assumptions at this point but I might as well hope for the best but prepare for the worst. Any further wisdom that I could extract from someone?

Gas tank is going in first thing tomorrow. Remembering the prior discussion held with a few regarding the vent hose that I didn't want ran all the way up front, I'm going to leave it about 2-3 feet off the tank in the back end. I remember Vall saying he just used a fuel filter on the end so no "critters" or debris could get in there, so I got a snazzy chrome filter for the line. I also remember leaving off that conversation still a bit confused about vented caps. I'm using the hose and having the tank vented that way, that's enough right? Planning on just using a couple leftover line clamps and mounting it up where the line was ran up front originally. Hope that's good enough?

Old 11-17-2013, 10:06 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Almost hate to mention this, as it means you're going to have to redo some work. I've gone through a couple instances with low vacuum and big cams, and not enough brakes with power booster. I've tried those vacuum canister reservoirs, and never seen any gain in braking with them. If the vacuum is too low, the fact you have more volume wont improve it. If it's close to good enough, it may help, but if it's down around 10" of vacuum it wont matter if you have several reservoirs, it still wont stop.
In both of my previous encounters I ended up removing the power booster and converting back to manual brake setups to get the brakes working. That's a pretty big cam, but it depends more on LSA if it builds enough vacuum to work a booster. The closer the LSA, the less chance you'll have enough vacuum. Probably need 112 LSA or more to have good vacuum.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:46 PM
3rd Gear Member

Guess I'll have to stick with the "hope for the best" comment I made earlier. LSA is 108 with this cam. Not going to assume anything of course, will have to wait until it's running and measure. One thing that makes me hopeful is the fact that the Nova this 327 was in didn't have a problem stopping. I know he had power brakes but not sure about a reservoir. I've made a ton of changes to this engine, but the cam is still the same. Not going to be able to find out for 6 or 7 months whether or not I've got issues stopping. I want the Camaro running long before then but it's not going to move very far in the garage. I'll just have to wait and see I suppose.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:23 PM
Overdrive Member

Worst comes to worse you can convert to hydro boost and wonder why you didnt do it in the first place. They run off power steering instead of vacuum.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:43 PM
3rd Gear Member

No wondering really. It's because I didn't have an extra $850 to buy the system. I was badgered by a Bosch rep for quite some time on FB trying to peddle his hydroboost system and although there's other routes/setups, he really turned me off to the entire thought of Hydro boost brakes. Petty, yes, but I had already said I wanted to stick with the stock brakes for now on this Camaro. Too many other things to replace/repair/buy at this point. Wonder how much a reverse thruster kit would run me??

Old 11-20-2013, 10:02 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

A hydro boost system from a donor Chevy/GMC truck would be cheap, and work as well as an expensive aftermarket. Painted up nicely, it would look like it came with the car. Chrome wont make it faster, or work better!

Old 11-20-2013, 10:23 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You can also get a fairly inexpensive (by comparison) electric brake vacuum pump that isn't an extra accessory that needs to hang on the engine.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:33 PM
Overdrive Member

Every Astro van came with hydro boost. I got the firewall bracket for $135. The rest is all plumbing. The kit comes with the pieces to connect the rod and everything.

'82 Plymouth Volarie's came with reverse thrusters and I believe TransDapt makes an adapter plate. It's just finding the correct pressurized vapor knuckle that's the hard part. You may need a separate flugle binder attachment and an elevendy millimeter socket too.

Last edited by 77nomad; 11-20-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:32 PM
3rd Gear Member

I'll definitely switch to a hydroboost setup when/if I ever convert to 4-wheel discs. I had actually looked at the electric booster pumps the other night Chuck, must've been channeling our thoughts sir! Couple hundred dollar fix if I end up with problems. Got a plan "B" on lock now.

Still wouldn't mind a thruster kit. We were playing "slug-volaire" on the way home from school today ironically! Found a pressure knuckle on Ebay today, it's the quadra-della-fonna-wanna type though. Bummer. Had already found the socket I need too!

Quick Reply: The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build