The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 12:11 PM
3rd Gear Member

It's warming up a bit this weekend so before I go to town to pickup the heater, thought I'd get back at that firewall with the grinder today. I'd love to get that part finished this weekend and start tearing apart the suspension. If I can warm up the garage I can start getting some parts painted. That brings me to a question: Has anyone used Eastwoods Extreme Chassis Black for their frame and/or floor bottoms? I've got the rust encapsulator for a primer and just got some POR 15 but I want to topcoat it with something good. I don't have the funds nor the capability to spray the 2K stuff but want to do what I can to make sure this paint holds up for awhile. Just curious if anyone has used the Extreme Chassis Black and what their thoughts were about it?

Old 12-01-2012, 10:50 PM
3rd Gear Member

Another question - I just finished the porting of my intake and it's pretty much ready to go, except for the spacer. I'm really starting to think the PO didn't do much of anything right on the build of this 327. Makes me increasingly more happy that I didn't just bolt it in the way it was. Maybe I'm wrong (known to happen from time to time) but is this spacer designed for QJ carbs? It had an Edelbrock 600 cfm carb on top of it. Looks to me like it had a spread bore spacer for a square bore carb/intake? I've got a couple other spacers, both of which are open hole, but was thinking about a 4hole spacer for a bit better low/mid torque but don't have an informed opinion.

Attached Thumbnails The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-dscn2376.jpg  

Last edited by 78 on my plate; 12-01-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:16 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by 78 on my plate
is this spacer designed for QJ carbs? It had an Edelbrock 600 cfm carb on top of it. Looks to me like it had a spread bore spacer for a square bore carb/intake? I've got a couple other spacers, both of which are open hole, but was thinking about a 4hole spacer for a bit better low/mid torque but don't have an informed opinion.
Yes. The way it's on there is for a Quadrajet carb. Or flip it around to put a square bore carb on a Q-jet/spread bore intake.
And yes again, the 4-hole spacer is for better low-mid rpm response, and an open spacer for higher rpm.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:18 AM
Overdrive Member

Hey I found the Z28 rear bar in the attic today. It is sitting right on top of a base model one. The difference is pretty big. I dont know if you cut a deal with the other guy or not. Just letting you know I found it. I honestly thought it was gone with the other car. If you want it I will toss in the matching front for dirt cheap.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:19 AM
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the confirmation on the carb spacer '69, another part gets added to the list!

With respect to topcoating POR 15, I thought you were supposed to due to the lack of UV protection? Just curious why you would not want to? I'm only going off what I read on Eastwoods page but the words used to describe the Ext. Chassis Black over POR are: "the toughest, most permanent protection against rust ever developed." I would assume that's been contradicted with the 2k/ceramic stuff but still pretty good? What worries me is hearing about the folks that have rust coming though the POR that clearly states on the label that it can be applied directly over rust but "if the surface isn't prepared EXACTLY as instructed" you'll run into problems. HUH?

Dirt cheap on the swaybars? I sure wouldn't mind having the bigger dia. bars. Exlimey's offer is pretty tough to beat though lol! I even soaked my front bar in molasses already. At your convenience, let me know what you want for the set. Appreciate it very much!

Old 12-02-2012, 04:08 PM
Overdrive Member

Well I need the rear bumper to 1/4 panel trim pieces. Rear bump stops. A set of door handle bezels. I would trade for stuff like that or other items. I prefer not to ask you for money. Its Christmas time. Engine parts are some times excepted too.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:18 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

What UV? I doubt your chassis or parts coated with POR15 will see much daylight.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:00 PM
3rd Gear Member

I've heard others comment about sun bouncing off the road and causing fading and if the hood is open for any amount of time that'll do it too, especially with all the BLING on the engine! LOL I am in no way looking to argue or debate why POR should not be topcoated but I am curious why you wouldn't want to? Honestly, this is the first time I've heard that.

Damon, there's a guy in Tustin that has a bunch of Camaro parts cars. I got fenders from him (and the trans) and a couple of interior pieces. I can try to get ahold of him and possibly coordinate a stop there on my way that direction. He's actually closer to you than me. If there's other specific things you're looking for let me know and I'll see what he's got (or I might have) if I can get ahold of him again.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:22 AM
3rd Gear Member

I spoke to someone at Eastwood today (not that I didn't trust you guys) regarding the topcoating of POR and big surprise, he was quite enthusiastic about Extreme Chassis Black. After he accepted the fact that I would NOT be spending hundreds more on the 2K Ceramic paint he said it would help ensure protection from the various fluids, scratch/chips and UV fading. The ECB is a lot stronger than the original Chassis Black and works good for cars that actually get driven a bit. I went for it, got some ordered today, less than $45 and I'll be set for the frame and underneath. I really need to take a timeout from ordering stuff for the Camaro until the holidays are over with. Couldn't just get paint today, finally got some ratcheting wrenches! Got a good deal on coil spring compressors and found an even better deal on a new valve spring compressor tool! I was trying to use one of HF's spring compressors and couldn't imagine using that for reinstallation. Like I mentioned before, I'll just wrap them up and let the kids give them to me for Christmas. This way I know that what I'm getting is good and not some B.S. assortment of hot chocolate packets or candles or a calendar. The ex-wife is a big spender you see... It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!!

Old 12-06-2012, 03:24 AM
Overdrive Member

I'll get socks and under wear. Funny thing is I asked for them. LOL Really!

Quick Reply: The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build