My 1970 Camaro w/ 572 Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 08:58 AM
Overdrive Member

WooooooooOOO!

Old 07-04-2014, 02:07 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Sudstoy
The exhaust came with 3.5" collectors, this was was was recommended by my exhaust guy. But that being said, today i installed 3" collectors and installed flow pro twisters on it just so it would run.

I took it for a drive today, the maiden voyage was awesome. The exhaust is way too loud but its what i am going to run for this summer. Need to buy a new fuel pump and regulator tomorrow and then try to get it tuned up. I am only home for a week this trip so it may be hard to get it tuned this time home.

Soooo nice to have this stupid car drivable again.
Hi Sudstoy, I am so happy for you to hear that.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:40 PM
2nd Gear member

Hey guys I have a few more minutes now to write a bit about the car. Was short on time when i posted about driving it because i had to head down to Idaho for a wedding this weekend.

Anyways...

When i got back from Russia this time by buddy had cleaned up the wiring enough to drive it. We filled up the transmission again and added gear oil in the diff and we were pretty much good to go. After a few forward stop, reverse stop, forward stop in the parking lot to make sure the brakes were going to work I was able to pull it out of the lot. I half throttled a sideways burnout and proceeded on my first drive. Everything felt tight and i pulled it back into the shop to do one last check over, adjust the the front ride height and off to the gas station.

Fill up with fuel $67 worth to be exact and tried to fire the car. No start in the lot, changed the timing a bit to make it go and we were gone.

Impressions, this engine was definately tuned at sea level as it is over fueling bad. It burps and farts if i gas it but it pulls like nothing i have ever felt. Literally if i blip the throttle too fast off the line, and i mean like an immediate 10% pedel it will spin the 315 E/T streets on the back. I was able to take a couple 3/4 throttle first second third passes out in the country but didnt like the way it sounded. Once we got back to the shop we reset initial timing and took it for one more lap around the block. This was the first time that i actually let first gear rev out. It grabs RPM so fast in first that i dont know if i am going to be able to shift my auto fast enough without letting off the gas pedal. I am talking like one second from the time i punch it to the time i am redlined. It will turn the tires into a smoky mess no problem. After i did this i had my first scare of the engine. When i hit what i assume was around 6000rpm the car died, and when i mean died, it went from huge rpm to silence in the blink of an eye. I rolled to a stop thinking i blew the brand new motor. After sitting there pissed off i tried to start it. I had zero fuel, so i believe i sucked it dry. There is no blow by and i have great oil pressure so i am 100% sure nothing was wrecked. I will be buying a new fuel pump and regulator as well as a new pressure fuel line to get away from my stock line i have now. We played with the regulator and could not get more then 4psi out of it so i will be buying a whisper quiet one.

I did take it for one more burn the next day, i slowly rolled through 1st gear and shifted into second, i do not have a tach hooked up right now so i assume i was at about 2000rpm. In second gear doing like 20km/h maybe a bit faster i put the pedal down and again made a smokey mess of my tires. This is only a 2200rpm stall with 3.73 gears and the tires still are a waste of time. I have to try lowering the pressure down in efforts to grab some traction.

The car is booked in tuesday to get an alignment so i will feel better about driving it then. I have completely replaced every front end component so it will need this bad. I will also bolt in the seatbelts tomorrow so WHEN i get pulled over from my exhaust being too loud i dont get a seat belt ticket.

I am heading back to work on Thursday until the end of July. I get home July 31st, head down to the states until August 10th and have the car booked into the dyno shop for August 12th. Last time he worked on my car it was night and day so i am very, very excited for that. I got an O2 bung welded in and he said that will help him get a nice tune on it.

I still have a ton of work to do, the full interior still needs to go in, there is lots of wiring to clean up, still need to do real exhaust, need subframe connectors put it. I bet i wont even get it done this year but at least it is driveable.

Oh yeah, for exhaust i bought some 3" collectors, 3" piping and 3" Flo Pro Twister mufflers. This is still waaaaay to loud to drive it but i will hopefully only get a couple tickets this year before i can get real exhaust.

Anyways if anyone has any questions let me know. I need to do some shopping at jegs to try and get it ready for the dyno shop.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:20 AM
Overdrive Member

Those are the first drives I like to hear. It may hit the tires harder with SFC's. Your car is absorbing some of the shock. Black marks on the road brown marks in your shorts, it must be running good!

Old 07-07-2014, 08:53 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Sounds like a typical first run for an extreme performance engine! It will be very hard to ever get enough traction to use even a portion of the HP and TQ of the 572, so you'll have to learn the throttle application for sure! It's fun having so much power you can instantly fry the tires, but eventually you'll be wanting to apply that power to the ground, and that may become frustrating!
Can't wait to read the results of the dyno tune when you get it done! Congratulations!

Old 07-07-2014, 01:18 PM
2nd Gear member

Well done. Nice to hear that you like that engine. Can't imagine that power here where I live. But lots of fun for sure.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:13 PM
2nd Gear member

Well not so good news today. I went there hoping to bolt my seatbelts in and take it for a ride and my buddy mentioned that something isnt right. Apparently he attempted to mess with the timing and messed something up. I can barely get the car to idle now, it burps and farts and backfires real bad. Was able to get the initial timing set but it didnt clear it up. I have to cancel my alignment that is booked for tomorrow now because i wouldnt even be able to limp the car over there for them to put it on the rack.

I really dont know what to do at this point. I dont feel like spending $500 on a new HEI and i have to go back to work in three days... Really really pisses me off.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:13 PM
Overdrive Member

Maybe a crossed wire or burned wire? My buddy and I both burned new wires on our last builds.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:34 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Sorry it wont run well for the alignment, but I bet you guys will figure it out. I went through some sleepless nights recently after getting the new 355 into my old Austin gasser. I got to a point where I got it running worse, and really got so frustrated I thought I'd messed things up bad. I finally just turned the key off and walked awy for almost a month. When I got back to it, I started from basics, and began checking things. Mine was caused by a bad valve adjustment, and once I figured it out, everything else fell in line.
I'm sure once you get back from your next trip over for work, you'll get have another look at it, and probably figure it out too!

Old 07-07-2014, 05:48 PM
Overdrive Member

I totally agree! I am still pulling my hair out on the Dodge. My buddy has health issues leaving me to do a lot of the work. Neither of us have turbo tuning experience. Fortunately I havent had a weird bug slow me down in some time. K.I.S.S. I learned a few tricks on engine assembly from my buddy that have yet to let me down. They bust right off without issue. Both of us having maintenance backgrounds helps a lot too! So if the mechanical checks out there is always a meter near us to use.

Your guy will have you ready when you get back! Sucks to wait but at least you got that mean b!tch rolling. That is a great feeling and awesome motivation. I have only been to the driveway and back with my 383. I hate it. I used to be all drive and forget what it looks like. I remember why some days when I'm pulling the motor for the fifth time. Anyone want to stop by and align my fenders??? I cant get it! Day three!

Quick Reply: My 1970 Camaro w/ 572 Build