My 1970 Camaro w/ 572 Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 02:34 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Sounds really good, but why is everybody looking so serious? I'd be grinning ear to ear!
Is there something amiss with timing, or the timing light? I was watching the light as it idled and revved, and either it's losing spark, or the light is cutting in and out?
This is just the magic of a video camera and a light, its no different then trying to videotape certain tvs where the refresh rate of the tv gets messed up with the framerate of camera. All was good and it was solid.

We had to change some things at the initial startup so at the start we were getting it set up correctly again. The reason that i may not look too excited is because i still know how much work is ahead of me. I just want to drive the thing but i am still along time from driving it. I just want this to be done. Starting to think that i am not going to weld a roll cage in it.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:19 AM
Overdrive Member

I heard that. I want to drive mine regardless of what engine and trans I have in it. But time and other things have me worrying that it won't be this year either.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:03 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Sudstoy
This is just the magic of a video camera and a light, its no different then trying to videotape certain tvs where the refresh rate of the tv gets messed up with the framerate of camera. All was good and it was solid.

We had to change some things at the initial startup so at the start we were getting it set up correctly again. The reason that i may not look too excited is because i still know how much work is ahead of me. I just want to drive the thing but i am still along time from driving it. I just want this to be done. Starting to think that i am not going to weld a roll cage in it.
Are these GMPP 572 not being dyno run and tested before shipping?

Old 04-30-2014, 04:27 PM
2nd Gear member

Yes they are but something got messed up and i had to tear about the distributor, turns out the dist they are using is an MSD digital HEI and the MSD coil that was inside got fried somehow. We ended up putting the plug wires on 1 position out for the initial startup, we just barely were able to get the timing right so we had to move the dist and the plug wires to get it setup correctly again.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:33 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Sudstoy
Yes they are but something got messed up and i had to tear about the distributor, turns out the dist they are using is an MSD digital HEI and the MSD coil that was inside got fried somehow. We ended up putting the plug wires on 1 position out for the initial startup, we just barely were able to get the timing right so we had to move the dist and the plug wires to get it setup correctly again.
The engine I will buy have the same distributor system. But you should inform them with this mishap. They must refund you or send you another distributor.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:41 PM
2nd Gear member

Hey sudstoy, how are you doing? Any progress with the engine today? Man, I could not stop seeing your last video.......Is it that loud? Or it is still without an exhaust?

What manifolds are you going to use? Is it the same as a normal big block or different?

Old 05-02-2014, 12:46 AM
2nd Gear member

Hey haven't been able to work on the car for the last few days. Its at a buddies shop and he can only work on it when hes not busy with the day to day things. I am not complaining about it because he gives me killer deals on the labour, for example the day we got the car running we worked on it for like 10 hours straight and all it cost me was a $300 rad and fan setup for his 83 LS1 camaro that he is building. It looks as though we may get to it a bit on satarday, he has a body guy coming to block out his car and he might get some time to work on mine so i will help.

I did get a driveline ordered for my car yesterday or the day before. I got the Denny's 3 inch Nitrous Ready 1350 Series Racing Driveshaft, i have to order a new pinion yoke for my ford 9" rear because the one i have would not accept a 1350 U-Joint so that added another $140 to the bill.

The exhaust will be much more quiet as it is running open headers. My headers are Lemons headers. In my research they were the only ones making an off the shelf header that fit a second gen camaro with a tall deck big block. They think very highly of these but they fit awesome.

On a side note i think i have decided against a roll cage. The shop next door to where my car is has a 70 camaro with a full roll cage and it is not very friendly for the passengers. By doing this I can get a whole bunch closer to completing my car this year.

If i can get some of the wiring cleaned up on the weekend i will post some updated pictures of the engine bay.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:12 PM
2nd Gear member

Do I have to tell lemon that it is for a tall deck big block? Do you have any pictures of how they fit? I saw a picture and the 2 front pipes pass near the engine while the aft 2 pipes pass about the chassis. Not like the normal headers that pass from the inside. There is a note on their website If you will be using your inner fender wells they will have to be trimmed to clear the tubes around the frame.

Did you had to cut the fender wells? Is this really necessary?

Old 05-04-2014, 08:19 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by clacia

Did you had to cut the fender wells? Is this really necessary?
It is, unless you can figure a magical way to penetrate the inner fender with header tubes and not cut it.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:56 PM
2nd Gear member

And how are the fenders being cut? Does any one did this before?

Quick Reply: My 1970 Camaro w/ 572 Build