My 1970 Camaro w/ 572 Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 05:10 AM
2nd Gear member

Hey everyone, hope all is well and everyone has had a great xmas and new years.

I have taken a couple months off of working on the car which was well needed. Im freshly back to work for a month and am starting to get some ambition again to work on it.

I found out today that i was nominated for ROTM december, unfortunately as im sure you were aware my car is no where near being done but i did manage to get a couple votes which was surpising since that white first gen was on there. Thanks for that!

Anyways looking back its been since the start of november since i have posted.

Not much has gotten done since then except for a couple things. I got the hotchkis steering linkage hooked up and at that time realized i didnt order the hotchkis tie rod adjusting sleeves. I have since ordered those.

Another thing that happened was i installed the close ratio vega style steering box. I just realized today while in russia what was wrong with it, short story below...

After i got the steering box mounted and the steering shaft modified with the flaming river components i went to install the pitman arm. It seemed the pitman arm was around and an inch too long. For some reason months ago this is what took the wind out of my sails. Just today i got to looking online for a shorter pitman arm, and it turns out, somehow we messed up an bought a manual steering box. It really is the sh*ts because the kit was over $600. I wish it was as simple as just converting to manual steering. The reason i wont do that is the money spent on the march bracket/pulley kit and the billet power steering pump. So to remedy this its another $600 for the correct power steering box. I will be putting up the flaming river 12:1 manual power steering box for sale but that is for another thread.

Anyways after speaking with my girlfriend yesterday she agrees with me that next time i am home i should spend some serious time in the shop working towards getting the car done.

I will try to stay current on the build again once i get started. I am going to be lurking around peoples pages seeing their project progress until that time.

Thanks everyone

Old 04-08-2013, 06:26 PM
Default Valve Lash Adjustment

Hello everybody,
If you are about to perform a valve lash adjustment, you should check out this new tool on the website below. It is simply a magnetic vinyl strip with graphics that wraps around the harmonic dampener that shows you exactly which valve to adjust with respect of the crankshaft.

I have one for my Camaro and one for my Corvette, works great! Just thought I'd let you know that something like this exists.

Last edited by 1971BB427; 04-08-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:31 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Z28Cam383
Hello everybody,
If you are about to perform a valve lash adjustment, you should check out this new tool on the website below. It is simply a magnetic vinyl strip with graphics that wraps around the harmonic dampener that shows you exactly which valve to adjust with respect of the crankshaft.

I have one for my Camaro and one for my Corvette, works great! Just thought I'd let you know that something like this exists.
Not bad, but a $4 timing tape will do the same thing and be permanently fixed to the harmonic balancer. I've always put one on every SBC, BBC, I ever built, and by rotating the engine 90 degrees each time you get all the valves adjusted easily. Lot cheaper/better than a $20 magnetic piece that needs to be put on and taken off.
But three posts, all with the same link smells of spam to me.

Last edited by 1971BB427; 04-08-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:50 AM
Overdrive Member

I thought the same with in the first sentence I read.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:35 AM
2nd Gear member

Well its been almost a year since i have posted on here. Nothing new has been one on the car in like 15 months. Since it has become clear to be that i am not going to do the work myself i am taking my car into my buddies mechanics shop tomorrow. I will be paying him to work on it. As of now the goal is to have it running by the start of February when i get home. I will post pics as much as i can.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:52 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

With your line of work, and so little time at home, I think it's a wise choice. I'm sure you'd rather do it yourself, but gotta make a living too! Hope you get pictures for updates as he gets things going.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:49 PM
Overdrive Member

It has been a while. Glad to hear it hasnt been abandoned.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:18 AM
2nd Gear member

Well the day that i was supposed to get it towed, it snowed 6" and all of the tow trucks were too busy doing recoverys. With any luck tomorrow i will have it moved. Will update then,

Old 01-06-2014, 04:34 PM
Overdrive Member

We are in the middle of snomogeddon so I feel ya.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:43 PM
2nd Gear member

I never saw and touched snow in my life. I am flying this winter to do so

Quick Reply: My 1970 Camaro w/ 572 Build