My 1970 Camaro w/ 572 Build

Old 06-19-2011, 08:13 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by 77nomad
That is an EXCELLENT pick for the rear.
I am really hoping so.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:10 PM
2nd Gear member

Alright here are some pictures. I apologize for the quality, im still overseas working and i got my dad to snap some photos.

Name:  ZZ572-2.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  117.9 KB
Name:  ZZ572-1.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  116.5 KB
Name:  ZZ572-3.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  145.8 KB
Name:  Passsidecar.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  89.8 KB
Name:  Drivesidecar.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  82.4 KB

Old 06-26-2011, 09:59 PM
Overdrive Member

Not that mechanicly inclined but you have a MAC tool box bigger than mine and a Miller welder? I hate to see what you would buy if you were a mechanic, seez. All said with a chit eating grin, just giving you a hard time.

Are you contracting for the Army?

Old 06-26-2011, 10:08 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

As much as I love my 427, I'd take it out in second if I had that 572 to replace it! There's a guy here locally that races a 39 Chevy sedan who had a well built 588, and he took it out to replace it with a 572 crate motor. First run down the strip it stood up on it's tail and came down so hard it broke the front suspension!
He was all smiles when he got out, and after fixing the car he returned with wheelie bars on the back, and said the 572 was way more power than the old 588!
I'd love to try one in my '71 and see if he's right!

Old 06-26-2011, 11:58 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by 77nomad
Not that mechanicly inclined but you have a MAC tool box bigger than mine and a Miller welder? I hate to see what you would buy if you were a mechanic, seez. All said with a chit eating grin, just giving you a hard time.

Are you contracting for the Army?

I never said not mechanically inclined I said im not a mechanic! I am a Journeyman Millwright. I work in Russia as a manufacturing manager getting oilfield equipment built as well as building some of it myself. I have always been into cars but never really did any of the work myself, i am lost when it comes to deciding stuff and actually getting to do stuff. I had no idea how much information there was on forums like this one. I love reading about everyones projects and it is going to be a very valuable tool to complete some of the things i need to do.

I am very concerned that this car isnt going to produce the power that i vision in my head. This may sound like a stupid statement but i read twice that it didnt produce the low end power that you would think. This really worries me. Im sure it will be alright for now but i do have an edelbrock nitrous kit sitting in the shop and i have thought about a procharger. (remember i am not saying that i am doing this, i have just thought about it as a possibility)

I cant wait to get home and start on this.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:40 AM
Overdrive Member

Wow, Russia. I bet that is a low paying job.

I don't know what the most powerful car you've been in is but with 620 HP and 650 lf lbs on tap. You will get loose. This is no toy your getting. Its serious power. The best part is GM never fudges their dyno numbers to sell more motors. They actually under rate them so they will always hit the number they stated. Some shops just toss a number out there because similar combos made that number. It will be a fun ride until the power gets old. It always does.

Funny you mention it but Horsepower TV aired an old episode this weekend about there 572 crate. They got one of the first ones when they came out. It was the big one with 720 hp, and went into a black Nova. Tubbed Nova (hint). Anyhow the car is long gone but they revisited the motor with the thought of procharging it. The only thing that they had to upgrade was the rod bolts because they were "only" rated at 800hp. They rebuilt the rods because it was a used motor and made 1000 hp.

Here are the links to the builds. HorsePower - Episodes | PowerBlock TV

HorsePower - Episodes | PowerBlock TV

Who ever said they don't have low end must be driving the space shuttle.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:22 AM
2nd Gear member

I have that entire season of hot rod TV on my apple tv. I have watched that episode a couple times. I really dont know why i feel the way i feel about this engine. The best thing for me to do is to drive it. I have never driven a car with this much power before. The two most powerful cars i have driven was my sisters WS6 trans am, i cant remember what year it was, it was the last year of them. That was years ago when i first got my license. Then most recently i rented a brand new 5.0L mustang convertable while on a business trip. the cars rated at 412HP and 390ft/lbs. It was an automatic as well. This car did not impress me at all for power, i did a couple runs on a very quiet highway in it up to 220km/h. It pulled decent on the bottom end but didnt feel like it was that quick on the top end. I do understand that my engine has 200 more hp and 260 more tq but who knows.

I am going to do everything i can to get this thing on the road sooner rather then later. I figure the best way to do this will be to get the big issues out of the way to make it driveable and then work on all the odds and ends after. Hopefully some parts will start showing up.

As for the job in Russia, its a great job. The biggest advantages of it are the 6 months off a year (other then the odd business trip and email every day) and the tax breaks.

I dont know to many rules and regs for roll cages but i have a buddy that builds them. (www.higherarcing.org) He does amazing work. I am wondering a few things about the roll cages and depending on the answers i might go down that route. Im sure this might help me keep the car from crumpling up if this engine does put out the power that everyone seems to be expecting. And god knows i hope it does.

One of the big motivators in this project for me is other guys around town. When i first drove the car in high school it was still a pretty bad car. Every day it seemed like somebody was "Doing this, or doing that" and they were gonna blow my doors off. If it wasnt that it was my buddy has this or is doing this to his car. I havent drove the car on the street for 10 years and i still hear it all the time. I want a car so bad *** that everyone just stops running their mouth. Basically i want a car so bad i never have to race is the best way to put it. I think i have the right foundation for that.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:47 AM
Overdrive Member

I feel you. Project ego crusher isn't a name I picked out of the blue.

You need a cage, for a few reasons. Safety is first but chassis rigidity is almost as important. Our cars flex. Take that out of the equation and it will go faster and be safer. I'm not saying you need a pro stock cage just a 6-8 point. Something that ties the front to the back on top of the subframe connectors.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:49 AM
2nd Gear member

Someone on here might be able to answer these questions about a cage.

1. Does a cage weld to the inside of the roof? Im not to sure about this but i know im not ready to get a new paint job yet.

2. Can a cage still be certified to sub 12 second 1/4 mile times with a removable door bar?

3. Is there any way that you can retain a back seat with a cage? I dont care if its somewhat a pain in the *** to get into the car or not but i wont put a cage if i lose my back seats. This is car will be driven on the street and i have more people to drive around then me and my GF, and taking turns doesnt always work.

If the answers to these questions are 1) no it doesnt have to be welded to the roof. 2) yes the cage will still be certified for mid 11 second passes with a removable door bar and 3) yes you can keep the rear seats, i will get one built.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:55 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Yes, the cage doesn't attach to any of your sheetmetal at the roof or anywhere else. They can have swing out or removeable door bars and be certified down to under 10 sec. with the right pieces. They can also be built to leave a backseat, or the backseat cushions can be modified to use and still have a cage.
Only problem with installing a cage is the welding that needs to be done around the headliner. Usually you can't remove the headliner to do the welding, as it's nearly impossible to get it back in once it's done. I've seen guys build cages that drop in after they're welded, so only the final welding gets done in the car, but they're usually a compromise.
You also need to ensure your materials and welds meet tech inspection, so it's sometimes a problem with some techs if it's painted as they can't see the material used after it's got paint. Make sure you keep receipts for material to show them what it is.
As for the 572 not having low end power; don't worry! Yes, they do build peak power at a higher RPM than a more stock BBC, but with all the HP and torque they make you'll have plenty of low end power! Whether anyone will challenge you on the street depends on either how stupid they are, or the look of your car. Heck, I get Civics wanting to race me occasionally, but rarely get any serious cars wanting to. I could have a straight 6 under the hood, and people wouldn't know it if the engine wasn't running.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 1970 Camaro w/ 572 Build