My 1970 Camaro w/ 572 Build

Old 06-13-2011, 10:39 PM
Overdrive Member

I ran a Proform on my old car. No dislikes. I was always worried it would leave me stranded but didn't. The awesome thing was when I was racing and the started to hot lap us, I could cool it down FAST with the aluiminum ran and electric fan and pump. Engine off and still circulating water.

I have read good things about the generic parts store rads with plastic tanks. I can hunt down the PN if you like. I'm sure the BeCool stuff is great but its not in my budget. I personally run a small Griffin. I wanna say 26-28" same as my drag had. Same one my buddy uses on his 540. Works and saves weight, cooled by a cheapo S-blade electric fan.

Maybe solid mounts. I'm sure your lowers will work from your small block. The clam shells from anything but a truck I would think will work. Again solid is a good option on a track car. Worry about the hood clearance later lol.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah I'm still working on my car. I have updates in my build thread.
https://camaroforums.com/forum/2nd-g...8-build-60900/
progress is happening slower than I would like. mostly my fault I keep undoing work and redo things it's for the better I think.

I think electric water pumps are great I plan on eventually using one. I would hook it up to the remote start/keyless entry module and run it like a turbo timer and let the water pump run for a bit after engines off to cool the engine after shut off. (like Damon said) But just like a normal water pump I'm sure eventually it will fail. I'm not sure on the service life of one of those.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:11 AM
2nd Gear member

Thanks for the input, i think i will wait to get the drive train in and then take some measurements from there for the radiator. As for engine mounts im gonna keep looking around. Time for some online shopping!

Old 06-14-2011, 08:51 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

For what you're running I would get the Moroso solid mounts, or the Energy systems solid mounts. Order them to fit a small block in a '70 Camaro, and they will bolt right to the big block, and be plenty strong enough that you'll never tear them apart.
Not sure where you got those rom and MPH figures, but they don't jibe with what my gasser does. I'm running 3.73's in my Austin gasser with 29.5x15" MT Sportsmans, and at 60mph it's turning around 2600 rpms. With a 28" tire you should be slightly higher rpm's than me.
As for the mph in each gear, it's a little unrealistic, as even in a drag racing situation I doubt you'll run the engine up to 6,000 rpm's in each gear. Holding an engine at that rpm range the entire length of the 1/4 with load is not something that will happen usually, and if you're a serious rac er who really does that plan on building a new engine each season. Making numerous passes at 6,000 all the way down for a day of racing, plus multiple trips to the track each season will take it's toll. Realistically if it's run down occasionally, and driven on the street too, your car wont be run out to redline often, so you'll soon tire of the engine screaming at you and constantly shifting to get it into a higher gear to cruise along.
When I raced my '71 for 16 years I tried every gear ratio from 4.56 to the present 3.42 gears. 4.56 and 4.11 were just too hard on the engine for the 1/4 mile. And driving to and from the track, plus daily driving was horrible with them. The 3.73's were the perfect combination for street/strip, and after retiring my car from drag racing, even the 3.73's were too low for daily driver cars with a BBC. My '71 has MT's also, and they're 27" tall, and I'm running around 2200 rpm's at 60mph with 3.42 gears.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:15 AM
Overdrive Member

Overdrive Vall.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:27 PM
2nd Gear member

1971BB427 - What transmission do you have in your car? In my Camaro now i have a TH350 with 3.73 and i dont mind driving it on the highway. That was my initial reason for going with the 4.11s. I have yet to hear someone say to stick with the 4.11s and i am going to listen to everyone and switch to the 3.73s.

Thanks for the help with the mounts, i will have a look at the web pages for them.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:41 PM
Banned
Location: Raised in Tilton NH now residing in Kings Mountain KY

Pics would be a great addition to this thread. Do you have any?

Old 06-14-2011, 09:20 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I am running a TH350, with B&M rachet shifter, and manual valve body/shift kit.
I've heard something about that overdrive thing Damon, but it's kinda new to me, so I probably wont change mine.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:05 AM
2nd Gear member

I work overseas and will take some pictures when i get home in a few weeks. 1971BB427 as mentioned i will have a .75 overdrive as stated and thats where my different MPH comes from.

New updates on the car

I have caved in and am ordering the rear differential 3.73 gears instead of the 4.11s. It will have a limited slip. The rear end is going to be built by Currie and they are installing a Wilwood disc brake conversion with the 12" Dynalite Pro Street rotors, 4 piston calipers. Im just working on the dimensions for the rear end to see if i should narrow it up at all. This should all be taken care of with in the week and i will be moving to buy.

As for the transmission, have finished specing out the transmission. It will be from transmissioncenter.net. They call it the Quadzilla, its a 4L80 trans with a full manual valve body. I already have the B&M shifter to run this. The trans is fully built to handle a lot more HP then i will ever throw at it. It is coming with a cross member and their special tail end for the mechanical speedo.

Im waiting on pricing from two sources at GM who both claim to get great pricing for the electric water pump, fuel pump, starter, and 120amp chrome alternator.

This is my next hurdle to jump. How do you spec out an alternator? I will have electric fans on my rad, electric water pump, headlights, tail lights, stereo ect.

Does anyone have a way to figure this all out without knowing what each component draws? Will 120amp be enough? That is the largest alternator that GMPP offers.

As always i appreciate any help or insight anyone can give.

Chatting about the camaro on this forum makes me excited to get going on it. Hopefully i can keep my enthusiasm for when i got to install items like another new headliner....

Thanks everyone

Old 06-19-2011, 10:51 AM
Overdrive Member

That is an EXCELLENT pick for the rear.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 1970 Camaro w/ 572 Build