Installing a LS1 in my 1977 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 11:54 AM
Overdrive Member

It was good that I stopped as they did have a question for me. They wanted to know if I was OK with their changing the motor mount adapters. They want to sell a complete swap kit including the motor mount adapters so they are sure their headers will work. They showed me a typical mount in another car. I told them as long as the motor uses the factory mounts, I was OK with this. I also asked them to, if possible, move the tranny towards the rear about 1/2" which would place it in exactly the same location as when it was behind the SBC.
Here's his own words. I have followed Jerry's car from the day he got here. Nicest big bumper I have ever seen.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:32 AM
July 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 77nomad
Here's his own words. I have followed Jerry's car from the day he got here. Nicest big bumper I have ever seen.
Kooks did originally plan on using their own motor mount adapters but changed their minds when they began seeing patent issues. I don't know if they have done it, but, after they changed their minds on using their own design,they talked about contacting Dirty Dingo to work out a marketing deal.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:48 AM
Overdrive Member

There's egg on my face.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:49 PM
July 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

There's egg on my face.
This thread is only thirteen pages and I am nothing if not wordy. I'm not even sure if I mentioned that Kooks had changed their mind.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:58 PM
Overdrive Member

I knew I remembered you saying they wanted to swap theirs in. I don't remember you saying anything else. No big deal either way. So, how has it been treating you?

Old 09-03-2011, 07:21 AM
July 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I knew I remembered you saying they wanted to swap theirs in. I don't remember you saying anything else. No big deal either way. So, how has it been treating you?
It is running great. My tach and speedo are not working but I haven't had time to chase those issues down yet. I spent so much time on the car that other things around the house were put off and I am now playing catch up. Also, my rear seal on the transmission is now leaking and had never done so in the past. I may have nicked it when I put the drive shaft in. I have a new seal on the way.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:42 PM
July 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Been busy chasing down some small glitches. Turns out the reason my tach did not work was that I hooked it up to the wrong white wire. I was told it had a 4 cylinder signal so I changed the DIP switches accordingly. Once I had it hooked up, it read 2000RPM at idle. Since the engine wasn't idling that fast, I changed the DIP switches back to 8 cylinder mode and the tach now reads correctly. Not sure what the issue is here but glad it works.

As for my speedometer, I was trying to wire in the speedo sender to the computer with the Dakota Digital device. Since that wasn't working, I decided to hook it up the same way I had it hooked up before the swap. It works perfectly and the car runs fine. I am going to call Wait4Me to see if there are any complications with not hooking up a speedo signal to the computer.

For the vacuum line to the brake booster, I had used a piece of hose from my collection that fit. However, I had reservations about it as the hose wasn't very stiff. After looking up the OE vacuum hose and seeing a photo, I was pretty sure I could make it work. I had to cut off about a inch and a half at the booster end. Unsurprisingly, it looks very factory.

Name:  8-11-11vacuumline2sm.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  180.9 KB

Name:  9-17-11brakeboostervacuumlinesm.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  127.6 KB

Today I drove it about forty miles to the south side of Charlotte not too far from the SC border. PJ O'Reilly's, an Irish pub, was having their first cruise-in. My wife was busy painting so I decided to check it out. They had a little over 20 cars, which isn't too bad for their first event. When you arrived, you got a wrist band which entitled you to a 20% discount on food and drink. The pub is located in a very nice area and was packed with football fans watching the many screens.

The car ran great. No problems at all. It sure is nice to have the speedo and tach working. It pulls strong and the exhaust sounds great.

Name:  9-18-11PJoreilly1977CamaroBlacksm.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  173.2 KB

Name:  9-18-11PJoreilly2sm.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  136.9 KB

Old 09-18-2011, 10:03 PM
Overdrive Member

I got those covers down and finally opened the box and looked at them. One of the mounts is missing. Also they mount using a metal bracket that has some sort of 1/4 turn fastener. Kind of like a Dzus fastener but with a allen head. You still want them?

Old 09-19-2011, 07:06 AM
July 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I got those covers down and finally opened the box and looked at them. One of the mounts is missing. Also they mount using a metal bracket that has some sort of 1/4 turn fastener. Kind of like a Dzus fastener but with a allen head. You still want them?
Thanks for the offer but I doubt that I would use them. Maybe there is someone else here that might have a use.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:17 AM
Overdrive Member

Ok no harm no foul. I'll save them for my after build swap meet from hell.

Quick Reply: Installing a LS1 in my 1977 Camaro