79 Camaro Project

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 01:26 PM
Overdrive Member

I have a deep fryer like that. Its a 1940's, can't remember the model. There was a guy that lived across from my inlaws. My MIL used to take care of him as got closer to passing. His wife was gone, she is another story. She was a traveling trick shooter in her day. Imagine when they got to fighting lol. I would go over there and clean his carpets for him and let him tell me WW II stories, I eat that stuff up. When he passed I was told to get as many of his things as I wanted. He had the real deal tools, knives, fishing equpment. Everything. His sister was so greatfull that we took care of him that they let us have just about everything. Including his car and $10,000 for my MIL. I still keep his Army issue boot knife in my show case. It will never make it to Pawn Stars or American Pickers.

Anyhow the fryer was new in the box from the 40's and the chrome looked awesome. we were starting out so that's what we used when I would catch a mess of blue gills. The only rule I had was it could never be left plugged in. I didn't truck the cloth cord. I looked on Ebay and sure enough they were selling ones just like it for 20 bucks.

Last edited by 77nomad; 07-26-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:02 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

Been at it for about 3 days on the doors. Also got some patches over the main holes in the firewall around the heater assembly. I took the doors totally apart, except for the latches, they are in there to stay, cleaned everything up and painted everything that was rusty, the galvanized stuff I just cleaned up, there was a lot of stuff in the channels and tracks, it would have made everything difficult I know, I'll put some moly lube in there and it should work great.

Name:  101_8433.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  62.4 KB

Name:  101_8435.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  93.8 KB

Name:  101_8436.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  48.8 KB

The patches on the firewall are put in with panel adhesive from the inside. I actually have some that are cut to fit in the openings and I am going to glue them in place too and smooth it over so that the lip isn't indented.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:37 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

If you really want those latches out you could put a 3/16 drill in the middle of each screw and drill them. The stub should come out of the latch once the heads are drilled and you can clamp the stud with a pair of vise grips and really get them wet with penetrant.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:18 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

Maybe, but not now. If I do it later I think I'll replace them with new ones. For now I'm content tho.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:31 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

Tonight I panel bonded a couple of patches out flush with the end of the lips where the heater holes are, and filled all the holes in. I'll get pictures when it is dry and cleaned up. It is going to look good though.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:29 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

I got some pics of the outer panels glued in. Once the bodywork phase starts I'm going to do some fine tuning on the firewall with some bondo, there are some areas that I don't like much.

I am also going to get my engine back this week, I don't have anything to do, and if the engine is going to sit in a heap someplace, I'd rather it be at my house where I can figure out how to assemble it correctly and keep busy on something. I can't have this dragging on for months on end. I really don't understand how hard it is to put a motor together... what in the world could possibly take so long???? Everything is there, nothing is needed, nothing is on backorder, the lifter bores need honed, and the block needs decked. This is months now, what happens when it finally makes it to the machinist? Months again, then back to the builder, more months??? Give me a break.

Name:  101_8440.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  81.1 KB

Name:  101_8441.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  80.1 KB

Name:  101_8442.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  94.7 KB

Name:  101_8443.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  59.2 KB

Name:  101_8444.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  73.6 KB

Last edited by ATM; 07-28-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:32 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Somebody is definitely taking advantage of you if they've had your motor that long! Is this the place you did web site work for in exchange for engine work? If so, that probably explains it.
When my motor was in the shop it was one week to do all the machine work, and two days for me to fit all the rings and assemble it.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:46 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Somebody is definitely taking advantage of you if they've had your motor that long! Is this the place you did web site work for in exchange for engine work? If so, that probably explains it.
When my motor was in the shop it was one week to do all the machine work, and two days for me to fit all the rings and assemble it.
Right. That is probably what the problem is, this is technically non profitable. I'm tempted to pull the site down until it is done, but I'll just get it back and send a nice $700 bill instead.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:56 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by ATM
Right. That is probably what the problem is, this is technically non profitable. I'm tempted to pull the site down until it is done, but I'll just get it back and send a nice $700 bill instead.
I've been in your shoes already. I had a friend who said he'd paint the Camaro if I wired a new service in his house and shop. I spent a couple days putting a new service in the house, and sub panel in his shop. He was tickled to death with it, but about 9 months later when I wanted to start the paint work he developed all sorts of excuses why he couldn't do it right then. Month after month passed, and always another reason it couldn't be done then.
I felt like going over and pulling the electrical out, but I decided to just cut my losses, and forget about it. I decided if he was willing to lose a friend that easily, that it must have meant more to me than it did to him.
Life's too short to lose any sleep over it.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:52 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

You know I know he will do a right job if I'm patient. But, I'm not patient, never have been. I feel like working on the car and I want something to do. The engine is next, I can get the car running and exhaust and everything on. Then start bodywork once the mechanical is all ironed out.

Quick Reply: 79 Camaro Project