79 Camaro Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 07:44 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 77nomad
The dude is pretty cool about makin deals. vHe said that the cowl brace probably wouldn't work with my MSD distributer because the cap is too tall. I wanted one anyhow. I firgure I can make it work somehow. But he threw it in with my order for free. He also ate all the shipping costs. As far as the bushings go, everyone on the other site swears up and down you have to run a solid bushing with connectors. Dave at PTFB also says this. But its really your call.
Yeah I have talked to Dave before on the phone, he is about a 2 hour drive for me, I could just go and pick my stuff up so I could get rid of shipping all together. I also don't need the bushings because my car came with solid body bushings, so that is why I was thinking the cowl brace. What distributor does it work with? I don't have one yet, so I could just work around it and look for the one that will work.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:10 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I just don't understand the theory behind not being able to install subframe connectors with anything but solid bushings? Every car made with a complete frame has rubber body bushings. Is there some reason that when you bolt or weld in connectors and it becomes a complete frame that it is different than any car with a complete frame?
Wish someone would explain this to me.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:22 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I'm feeling prehistoric. I've never heard the subframe connector/solid bushing story. I have connectors with the original body bushings, and know of at least one other 2nd gen that is set up that way. We both have mid 11 second cars and have never noticed a problem with that combination. Maybe I'm too spaced out to notice?

Old 04-23-2010, 07:40 AM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

I am pretty sure it would not be required if the rear frame were not welded to the body. If that frame is solid, and it is welded to the front one which isn't solid, it will flex there, either compromising the welds, or the frame, and causing the subframe connectors to be a waste of time.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:59 AM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

I am honored that my progress thread was targeted for spam. thank you so much.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:02 AM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

My first iTrader rating.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:27 PM
Overdrive Member

I just don't understand the theory behind not being able to install subframe connectors with anything but solid bushings? Every car made with a complete frame has rubber body bushings. Is there some reason that when you bolt or weld in connectors and it becomes a complete frame that it is different than any car with a complete frame?
Wish someone would explain this to me.
This is the reason I offered it up as someone elses opinion. I don't have any idea if what they say is true. But if the guy selling me a kit to make my camaro corner better than a z06 vette says to run them and the're part of the deal. I an just doing as told. I am looking for a race care with licence plates and am not worried about ride quality.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:39 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

I am done sandblasting, I spent about an hour blasting my last fender and inner fender and I've had it. There is nothing left. My father in law is going to borrow it, so if I find any bits and pieces I'll just take them over there and do them. Time to clean up the garage, the longer I was blasting, the worse the enclosure became, it is in a shambles now, and the garage is trashed. I am going to spend tomorrow evening pulling plastic down and sweeping and putting tools away and starting fresh again.

I also started cleaning my transmission up. I can pretty much see the entire thing now, how do they get so dirty? I started out with oven cleaner and a scraper, then went to WD40 and a rag, finally let it have it with the PB Blaster for a day or so. It will be nice having a car I can work under without crap falling in my eyes.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:49 AM
Overdrive Member

I f you really need to blast more stuff. Come on over my pile is still pretty big.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:34 AM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

I've honestly had enough. I have to get my garage back in order. I need to clean up all the sand, POR15 all the latest stuff I have blasted, the insides of the fenders, and the inner fenders, get all the rust fixed, put the fuel tank in. Get my front sheet metal back on. POR15 the interior of the car, put some sound proofing like dynamat in there, only the poor mans version, run wires for sound, find a windshield and get it tinted. Get the rest of the windows tinted, and start on the motor.

I am currently working on cleaning up the transmission. It was a solid ball of yucky goop. I can pretty much see all the metal now, got a ways to go though. I may take a carbide burr and remove all the casting marks and smooth it out a bit.

Quick Reply: 79 Camaro Project