383 build/need advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 09:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Don't break in the engine, run it in. Look up the principles behind what it is that forces the rings against the cylinder walls, then you'll understand why.
Roller lifters need to be "broken in" to the cam, as much as the casters on your office chair need to be broken in to your floor, if you get my meaning.
Yeah I am starting to see your meaningfull info and it makes me agree. I don't think he should break in on a roller its really overkill you are changing my mind, maybe driving is the best for a roller cammed engine. I drove mine and romped it some but not alot after a break in and stripped back off many parts. But that engine was studded also. (easy to take heads on and off alot as well). But many of those things because I really am a beginner doing all sorts of overkill in the beginning..but learning to back off some of those things. The so called wear pattern on my roller really wasn't a wear pattern at all, just my mind going ocd and perfectionistic on it. Sometimes I just take stuff apart and together again and measure all kinds of things with calipers and such. Its just a compulsion. I never made machinist,just an apprentice for five years and didn't go to college, numbers drove me insane if I wasn't interested on what I was working on. So I built a few laser engravers and made miniature jet engines...so what. One thing I am learning there is a gray area and in that area is not to break in roller cams anymore because its wasting time. But I will always use cam lube etc. on all parts and change oil filter and fluids. I would use that as the 'break-in period'. The lube filter and fluids. I don't wan't anyone to waste their time. My observations are merely that and like I said you couldn't really call it a 'wear pattern'. I was thinking about the hbeam rods and I suppose if you were building 650hp nitrous or something and aftermarket block then maybe, but I prefer forged I beam stuff for the 460hp range. Well I'm out hope I made some entertaining reading for someone. I am sorry what I said was a little misleading and bold to begin with, but I just wanted to share my experience. My first roller got ate because I used 1.5 rockers with 1.6 stagger, but it was on .550" lift. The lifters dropped and spun. And ask about a cam with a compatable distributor gear so you don't have to use bronze gears. I am diagnosed with OCD. It can be an ally & very crippling and disabling at times sorry.

Last edited by ZL1CAMARO; 05-21-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:05 AM
In the Staging Lanes

so basicly what everyone is saying is that they don't really know so i should call lunati and see what they have to say.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:45 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by 81blue350
so basicly what everyone is saying is that they don't really know so i should call lunati and see what they have to say.
I guess not then. Maybe we should all just go and stand in the corner!
Tell you what, call Lunati for your own peace of mind. Crane already says no break-in, let's see if we can have a majority rule here and put it to rest.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:26 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ok gentlemen, i know im using the afr 195 heads but what chunk of aluminum is gonna feed this monster i have been looking at the edelbrock performer RPM, and torker II
the holley stealth series
or a maybe a dart havnt really looked into them yet

Old 06-03-2013, 05:38 AM
Overdrive Member

RPM Air Gap. I ran my 383 with a regular RPM too and it was snappy as well.