'80 z28 restore

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 06:59 PM
Default '80 z28 restore

I just got my 1980 z28 with a 396 big block a few days ago and I'm starting to restore it. I'm a newbie when it comes to restoring cars so it's kind of a learn as you go type experience and I'm sure I'll have a lottt of questions so any help would be much appreciated. Luckily it doesn't really have any major problems, mostly cosmetic stuff. So far I have a page long list of things I'd like to get done, the problem now is figuring out where to start!
I just ordered some new window felts and weather stripping since the ones in there were cracked and had gaps. Now I just have to figure out how to remove the door panels without damaging anything. I've read a few posts about how to do it, but most of the ones I saw were later generations, is it basically the same thing with a 1980?

Another thing at the top of my list is that my locks don't work, so I'm trying to get that done pretty soon too. Any ideas as to why it won't lock? The driver side power lock doesn't make a sound when I try to lock it but the passenger side sounds like it's trying to lock but doesn't actually do anything. Even when I've tried pushing the lock stems down, nothing happens.

Any input would be great!

Old 06-18-2013, 08:43 PM

I was just putting in my window felts and it seems like they don't fit.. the outside one is pushing the window too far in so the door doesn't close.. Maybe they sent me the wrong part, or am I just doing it wrong?

Old 06-19-2013, 09:54 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Hard to say without seeing pics. There are two type of felts, and you didn't mention which you got? The ones with a metal edge that goes over the door edge are for cars without chrome trim on the door top, and the ones without a metal edge are for cars with the chrome door trim.
When screwing either on you need to be sure they are as far down as possible, to make them tight against the door. You may also have worn out rollers on your door glass, and if that's the case the glass will be forced in by new felts will cause them to be pushed in. Be sure your rollers are solid, and also make sure you replace the inner felts that attach to the door panel too. Just doing outer will allow the worn inners to not hold the glass.
Restoration work isn't easy, as often repairing one thing means repairing several others affected by that one part.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:09 PM

Yeah I realized they sent me the felts with the attached molding, and I needed the ones without molding.. Shouldn't have tried to put them on without really making sure it was the right piece, but hey I was excited. I think I do have to replace the rollers as well as the felt covers on the 4 or 5 brackets inside the door. This is going to be a tough project I know, but it's something I've always wanted to do!

Old 06-19-2013, 06:03 PM
Overdrive Member

First tool you should ever buy when fixing up a car? Camera!

Your DS lock may be the solenoid or as small as a fuse. Your not really restoring a '80 Z28 with a 396. They didnt come with BB's in 80 let alone a 396 that died many years before the car was made.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:01 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

If you have the wrong felts, then you'll never get them to fit right. You need the right felts first.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:43 PM

Well I got the right felts today and they're pushing the window in as well. I think you were right, I probably need to replace the rollers. It seems like they are being pushed in by the new felts. Name:  camarowindow_zps1321542f.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  70.8 KBName:  camarowindow2_zpsc20a0e4a.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  73.6 KBName:  camarowindow1_zpse3cdb33c.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  89.1 KB

Old 06-25-2013, 09:37 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Without the inner panel on, and good felt wipes on the inner panel, you can't tell for sure. Your window has no inside support with the door panel off. Are those felts up as high as the slot allows them to be mounted? May still need rollers and new inner wipes too.
Those two supports that are just inside the top of the door just support the glass as it begins up, but wont do it all as the glass gets higher. Be sure they also have good material on them also, or they'll begin to leave marks on the glass. I recovered mine with thin carpet and contact cement.

Last edited by 1971BB427; 06-25-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:36 AM
Overdrive Member

First time I have seen the wide strip ones. Mine were narrow and scratched the crap out of my ,78 after new paint.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:08 PM

I had to move the supports back just so the window would fit around the new outer felts, but I did move them back. The supports need new material on them, that's a good idea with the carpet and cement I'll have to try that out. I'm going to put the door panel back on and see if that supports the window better. Thanks

Quick Reply: '80 z28 restore