383 build/need advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 03:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes

so i called lunati,comp and crane. comp was the least helpfull crane was great bu lunati impressed me and we came up with this hyd roller Voodoo Retro Fit Hyd Roller Cam - Chevrolet Small Block 282/290 - Lunati Power wich is part of the voodoo line
282/290 duration
535/.550 lift
110 seperation

Old 02-22-2013, 03:57 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Make sure you budget the cost of lifters, because roller lifters cost considerably more than flat tappet ones. What block are you using? If it's a non-roller block, you need roller lifters that either have a link bar that ties two together so they don't spin, or conventional rollers with a retro-fit spider plate in the lifter valley. Also, a thrust button on the front of the cam using a rigid timing chain cover, or a chain cover with an adjustable thrust control. However, if you're starting out with a roller block, you'll have it a little easier.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:01 PM
1st Gear Member

I would never think of doing a retro fit roller set up. Start with a roller block from the factory and go from their. You have all the stuff and not spend the $400 for the lifters. The only one I would do is a 400 block. I have done 3 of the 383 roller blocks and it just simpler to do. Order the one pieces seal kit and bolt it together.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:59 AM
In the Staging Lanes

well sorry camaro guys i found a nice 66 malibu that im almost certain im goinng to use for this project i still cant figure out how to post pics but its pretty clean in all the right places post quarters just needs little surface rust removal here and there eh.
couplne new front fenders saome paint and shes golden

Old 05-12-2013, 09:13 PM
In the Staging Lanes

cam is in, double roller timeing chain, oil pump crank scrapper and pan its all in. i think I think i can finally work towards some heads now!!!

Old 05-16-2013, 10:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 81blue350
cam is in, double roller timeing chain, oil pump crank scrapper and pan its all in. i think I think i can finally work towards some heads now!!!
Special attention on that crank scraper, you don't want it to take out your oiling system if the crank interferes with it; and be sure to tack weld your oil pickup tube in place when in position. And use a melling solid oil pump shaft and oil pump. Use extra attention on break in of that cam (proper break in and multiple oil changes). I would rotate the cam with engine OFF. And degree wheel everything! PS Get the AFR REV KIT you won't regret it -stabilizes valvetrain for rpm and potential power support. And I still encourage you as others and fans of AFR heads to get some of those 195s. Even the 180 competition porting, & 200s would still work but yeah I would reccomend the AFR 195s still, 200 would work but the 195s in my opinion are the effecient option as far as AFR heads go but I would be FAR greater concerned about CC when talking about ANY other head. Even Dart platinums or pro ported heads. AFR heads are street happy until the big heads unless you have a 434-454 cid small dart block. Oh yeah your tires will surely fry off. I bet you'll have more than 450 bhp after fine tuning for sure and a solid 450hp baseline. You might need a ported intake. I would make an extra long runner single carb or EFI and dual or quad plane out of sheetmetal and carbon fiber and pop it straight up out of the hood for mad crazyness.

Last edited by ZL1CAMARO; 05-16-2013 at 10:16 AM. Reason: wrong smiley was on.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:40 PM
1st Gear Member

If he is getting the hyd roller like he said he was then their is not much of a cam break in. Its a roller not a flat tappet.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:37 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Not much of a cam break in, as in none.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Not much of a cam break in, as in none.
I strongly disagree. The fact that it is a roller camshaft only means it is more compatable with today's de-engineered degenerated motor oils lacking the necessary additives for a any flat tappet cam to survive the break-in period and Then last after that as well. The roller lifter camshaft still needs its break-in to live a healthy power making life. This is fact, my opinion cannot change it. The roller cam may survive without break-in just as many other flat tappets have survived b4 with the good oil, being slapped in without degreeing in and a proper break in. I had numerous friends and people I hardly knew all claim 500hp 350s when almost everyone of them had stock heads and 280 plus degree cams and single plane intakes and 9:1 and never degreed their cams or broke them in properly and some had failures and blamed the companies in a strong southern french speak. I can tell you its always made me laugh inside at their stupidity then cry because I live in this world with them I tried to tell them they said "aaagghhh ya don neeed dat shaaat" run it like it is WOT. Never realizing they never had any power whatsoever up to their 5500 rpm limit they never even could spin. They spit rods, wiped cams, wasted fuel, time and money and had fun doing it on penny pinching random crap and wrecked or 'got rid ov' it' . Sad, just be careful yall. Peace.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:53 PM
Overdrive Member

To the OP I run the same cam and it sounds lovely.

Quick Reply: 383 build/need advice