1979 Original Project Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 08:43 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Exclamation

We have made a deal @ $400. I dont think its to bad of a deal as up here its hard to get anything decent thats used, any anything new is around $1500 after taxes and shipping across the border from the states. I figure I will take this deal as it's really what I'm needing at a reasonable price. I'm awaiting his reply about any work that has been done to the guides. Bolting up the alternator may just be an issue...

When the time comes to put the heads on, if I have changed my mind I dont think it will be hard to re sell these. Not to base it of this, but the guy claims they have brought a lot of interest, it's just that the soonest he is available to sell them is right when I'm going to meet him. But who knows if this is true.

Last edited by Axle; 02-21-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:49 PM
July 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

maybe ask if you can bring one to a machine shop and have them look over them and measure them for your deck height (quench) for your engine. ya never know when buying things from complete strangers and with kijiji it's pretty much buyer beware. I've been BS'ed a few times from that site but i also made some good deals.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:25 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

The accessory holes aren't a problem. You just need to locate brackets for the early SBC that used the water pump mounting, or water pump/exhaust flange mount. Or just fab something if you have a welder and some scrap. I built my mount from scratch on my SBC because I wanted it in a specific location and nothing was available to do so.
Name:  aus141.jpg
Views: 812
Size:  108.9 KB

Old 02-22-2011, 04:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes

The guides have been done with the other work, they are bronze. He had the heads in a light layer of oil and gave me a spark plug to use for reference as the heads need a certain plug. Also he threw in all his mounting hardware and brackets. A good deal here @ $400 cash!

Old 02-22-2011, 09:12 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Axle
The guides have been done with the other work, they are bronze. He had the heads in a light layer of oil and gave me a spark plug to use for reference as the heads need a certain plug. Also he threw in all his mounting hardware and brackets. A good deal here @ $400 cash!
Very cool! All that hardware is spendy when you start adding it up! Plus running around looking for it drives me nuts! You'll love those old camel hump heads! They're good items!

Old 03-10-2011, 07:54 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Thumbs up Update

Well folks almost all the peices to the puzzle have been collected. Any input of what I should use for an ignition? What about fans; I need a new rad, should I run electric fans on the rad, or stay old school with a big one run off the motor? I will be honeing the engine soon and making sure my stock pistons will work, if not it might go out to be .10 over. not sure yet. Mabey I'll try to find a new 350 block. We'll see! Anybody know where I can find a new/used right rear tail light for a second gen? Thanks!
Axle

Old 03-10-2011, 07:58 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I'd never run an electric if you have room for a mechanical fan. Whatever you saved in HP by going electric would be eaten up charging the battery to run the electric, plus they're just not as good a mechanical. Sometimes there's no choice, but if you have one make it mechanical.
I run a Pertronix electronic conversion in a stock dist. on both my Camaro and my Austin. Love them!

Old 03-10-2011, 08:04 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Sounds good. Im sure it's a lot more inexpensive to run a mechanic fan too, than to upgrade into electric fans.

Im wondering if money wise I should just run a new stock distributor for now, unless you guys think I will notice a big difference running something better with the motor im building

Old 03-10-2011, 08:28 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Well if your stock distributor is a HEI, then I'd go with it. Should work just fine.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:16 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Hey guys! Anybody want to buy my Camaro??

Well I likely wouldnt sell it, but looks like it will be going into one of my big storage sheds. Not sure for how long, but although I have a fair sized shop, I could use it's space to make money wrenching on other jobs. I want to do the car right the first time, and with no significant amount of money able to be spent on the car, I can't finish it just yet. I need more tools for my trade and other priorities that I should be doing while I can benifit with then on my taxes are some reasons why I need to hold off on the car for now! I'll pack all the new engine parts away in the car and wrap it up on jackstands in my big shed for now. It sure it nice to have lots of indoor storage space! Thanks for the input so far!

Quick Reply: 1979 Original Project Thread