Where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 06:32 AM
Default Where to start?

I have a 1972 camaro. I want to start restoring it but i have no clue were to start. Im good with cars but have never done anything this indepth. The car is in fair shape and all there. Any tips or suggestions on where to start or how to go about the restoration would help me out alot.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:30 PM
Default RE: Where to start?

That depends on what you mean by "restore". to me, restore means taking the car off the road taking the car completely apart and fixing and refurbishing everything that is worn out. That can take a few years and big $$ probably $20K-$40k. If you are planning on just driving the car and want to make it look good. Start by removing the interior (so you can check the floors), fix anything that is mechanically/structurally wrong (engine, axles, exhaust etc), paint the car and then put the interior back in after replacing or refurbishing any needed interior components...probably looking at $10k parts and labor . don't buy the cheap chineese/korean made parts of Ebay...they are total carp.

Drive the car for a few years, when the prices for 2nd gens go up, then, perhaps, it would be worth a full subframe off restoration.

Old 11-16-2007, 05:20 PM

hey im in the same position as you, i have a 72 and finally got a daily driver. what have you done to yours??

Old 11-17-2007, 05:51 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Go to amazon.com and find a good book on restoring automobiles, one specific to the Camaro would be even better. Read it and then determine how "deep" you wanna get. Keep in mind, if you plan on doing acomplete tear-down type of restoration, it's going to take you four times as long as you thought it would, and will wind up costing at least twice as much as estimated!

Old 11-17-2007, 11:51 PM

I'm doing a frame off restoration on my 80, so far it's stripped down to pretty much sheetmetal and wiring.

I labeled everywire very precisely, so I know exactly where it goes, I first started with taking the interior out, then putting the whole car up on jackstand whilst removing some front sheetmetal to get into the engine bay and rad. support. Then I started working under the car to see what needed to be replaced and what could be kept. Within the next couple weeks I'll be getting floorpans and a small trunk pan section. IMO you should start with making the car rust free. then paint it while everything is out of it, then put everything back in it.