What did you do to your camaro today

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 07:11 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Pablo63
Finished cleaning up the shifter last night. That thing was packed full of CRAP and grease. Drilled two holes in the mount and the rubber insulators for the handle today. Thing should bolt up nice and solid now. After looking at how thin the metal in the case was I decided to weld nuts on for shift stops like Vall had asked if I was going to do instead of just threading the holes. Just have to paint her up and grease it real good then put it in with the new bushings. It's going to make a huge difference in the way the car shifts.
The stops will really help prevent wear and tear on the shifter and the tranny too! Probably good for another 40 years! Speaking of 40 yrs., wionder why I didn't get a birthday card from Chevy on my Camaro's 40th birthday!???

Last edited by 1971BB427; 03-08-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:17 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Did some snooping around on the new toy hauler (Suburban) today to see why the dome light didn't work. No lamp in the light, but after installing one, still no light except with the dash sw. Pulled the door switches and two wer bad, while the one for the rear side door didn't even have a wire!
Got 3 new switches, and ran a wire to the 3rd door, and got them all working. Now I can wire in the alarm system to ensure it stays where I parked it!

Old 03-08-2011, 07:21 PM
Banned
Location: Raised in Tilton NH now residing in Kings Mountain KY

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
The stops will really help prevent wear and tear on the shifter and the tranny too! Probably good for another 40 years!

Well lets see. I'll be about 87 years old. That should look something like this. LOL

What did you do to your camaro today-old-man-driving.jpg

Old 03-08-2011, 07:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Now I can wire in the alarm system to ensure it stays where I parked it!
Probably a real good idea. That thing would be an easy target to get into. Slim Jim or coat hanger friendly for sure. Heck I used to get in through the wind wings with a butter knife. From there you can reach right down to the window crank.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:30 AM
2nd Gear member

Finished putting in the new leaf springs that i had originally bought for the other car,then took it out for a short drive.I gotta say it is soooo nice to actually be able to go out and drive a camaro instead of just sitting behind the wheel of a never ending project,and continually saying "i'm going to drive this one day" haha,after 2 years of doing that and not really seeing the project go anywhere,i now know i definitely made the right descision.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:21 AM
Banned

That's great BM. Congrats.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:06 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Yep, definitely nice to get right to the driving part, and now you can do upgrades as you enjoy the car!

Old 03-09-2011, 03:29 PM
2nd Gear member

Yeah,i wish i would have went this route from the start.It's definitely a motivator to get things done when you can drive it while you work on/upgrade it.Since i bought the 80 about a month ago,i have found a few things that need to be done to it,but it is things that can wait until i store it for next winter,and still be done in time the following spring.As for now it's all about the upgrades haha.I swapped out the seats from the 81,as the drivers seat in the 80 was ripped up,and just doing the seat swap made a big difference in the overall look of the car,then the grilles,springs,etc. are all helping to make it look just a bit better,next winter i will strip it and repaint it,so next year it should really be an eye catcher.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:33 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Pablo63
That's great BM. Congrats.
Thanks,i forgot to mention,apparently someone had the springs out before to replace the bushings.I was not looking forward to going through all the pain of a 30+ year old spring swap,but every bolt came out so easy,i wish they would all be like that haha.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:23 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Little things make a big difference, and it's more fun fixing little things too! I've been busy fixing little things on the Suburban toy hauler since I bought it. Try to do something each day, and I'm down to just a couple minor things now!
Put in the alarm system today, so I don't have to worry about people stopping by all the time to look at it! Gonna try to fix the gas gauge tomorrow. Stuck on full, which means a shorted wire on most GM cars. I'll see if I can see the pinched wire, and if not I'll just replace it from the gauge to the tank.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your camaro today