What did you do to your camaro today

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 01:25 PM

Worked on my charger install over the weekend.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:39 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Am still working on replacing the 194 bulbs in the dash with LED lights which plug in their place but have to be put in kind of carefully to make a good connection. I wanted to pull the whole instrument/warning light cluster out to do this so I good be sure to get them in good. I got stuck trying to get speedometer cable loose. Anyone have any words of wisdom on how to do this? FSM just says to push the tang and then pull in out. I thought I pulled the tang toward the front of car but could not pull cable out. Pretty frustrating that the FSM does not show the connection and not much explanation. Cannot tell if it is just stuck after 35 years or ??? HELP!!

Old 11-20-2013, 04:51 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Yes, push the tang in (towards the speedo), then pull the cable housing off while still holding the tang down. You pulled the tang away from the speedo, which is the wrong direction.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:22 AM

Question; What is the best way to clean / detail my aluminum intake manifold on my 69 big block Camaro?

Old 12-28-2013, 05:46 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by jd4usc
Question; What is the best way to clean / detail my aluminum intake manifold on my 69 big block Camaro?
Need some info. Is it an as cast intake, or polished? If it's as cast, then the best way is to pull it off and glass bead it. That has always worked best for me to get it looking like new.
If polished, then I use Mother's wheel polish paste, and lots of elbow grease. If it's pretty dirty some brake clean and rags will get it degreased before blasting or polishing.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:25 PM
Default Cleaning Intake Manifold

Thanks; I have a cast aluminum intake. I've tried several solutions with no luck. I was trying to avoid removal of the intake as that is a lot of labor just to clean. Perhaps I should try an etching type solution. However, that is a rather strong acidic path to follow and I don't want to create a bigger problem than I already have.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:12 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Tough to get looking really good on the engine. I've used brake cleaner and a bronze bristle brush to loosen things, and then wipe with clean cloth. Repeat until it's about as clean as possible. If it's not totally trashed, I've had good luck getting them pretty clean this way.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:44 PM
Default WTB 1975 Camaro Radio + Dash Gauge Bezel + Clock

Originally Posted by Dj Aztek
hey guys What did you do to your camaro today . i gave mines a real long overdue wash.
My 1st car was a '75 Camaro (in 1975) and this past year I acquired a very similar one. Looking to recreate as much of the original look as possible (have old 35mm slides for reference) and in looking for an OEM radio I'm discovering that most of the Delco radios from that era have a 5-3/4 (or so) **** spacing (center-to-center) while my '75 is 6-1/4". Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. I had a U69 AM/FM and would love to find one just like it (working or not). ALSO, I'm looking for a working dash clock and the woodgrain-look instrument gauge bezel for same '75 Camaro (they changed to birdseye maple look for '75). If you (or anyone) has ANY of these items I'd be very interested and appreciative ! I've attached a pic of the cockpit of my original '75 that provides a visual of what I'm looking for. ANY INFO about the difference in **** spacing would also be appreciated. THANKS!

ALWAYS HAPPY TO FIND OTHER '75 OWNERS on this site and elsewhere!

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your camaro today-75camaroradiodash1.jpg   What did you do to your camaro today-1975-camaro-pic-taken-june-1975.jpg  
Old 01-01-2014, 11:40 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Had some time and relatively warm weather so took the opportunity to work on the '79. I put a new radiator in along with new hoses, belts and a battery tray. Filled up with anti-freeze and ready to cruise. Now I am looking at finally adding gauges to it after 30+ years so I will know what is going on under the hood.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Had her out New Years day for a little fun. Glad I did. Weather has been in steady decline since. I May due a few little things to her this Winter thou. Need to clean up the trunk and refinish. Also loke to add a front spoiler and front plate bracket.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your camaro today