Tunnel Ram Setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Overdrive Member

I also have a pro billet. I might get a vac advance one too. I might get another MSD adjustable timing control instead, I can't make up my mind. I had good luck with the timing controller. It allows for 8* to be added or removed without touching the dizzy. Very sweet when I was running Nitrous on my old Nova, I could pull timing out for a nitrous pass then set it back. It was a great tool for getting the timing dead on too. Just adjust it until the MPH fell of in the 1/4 and it was good. For the street I could add timing as needed but it may be more of a pain than its worth, constanly adjusting the timing while driving.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:13 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Bad Z28, make a note that a stock HEI size distributor isn't going to clear the back of your tunnel ram.
You need to use a small diameter distributor.
That's why I took the HEI off my 327 and went with the stock with Pertronix. Also because they just plain look too bulky.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:55 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Yes, I know my distributor that I have will not fit. Here is this Pro Comp kit that I am thinking about getting.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/V8-Ch...Q5fAccessories

Old 02-06-2011, 09:00 AM
Overdrive Member

I don't know anyone that runs that, so I can't give any feed back.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:59 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Bad_Z28
Yes, I know my distributor that I have will not fit. Here is this Pro Comp kit that I am thinking about getting.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/V8-Ch...Q5fAccessories
Well, you get what you pay for. Procomp is a direct MSD knockoff, made in China. Not only do they use the same part number as the MSD unit (gee, that's a coincidence), but the previous models even had the ridges on top and it looked almost identical to the MSD. MSD sued them for that, claiming a desigh infringement, and now you can see it has a smooth top. All that kinda makes you wonder about the integrity of a company, doesn't it. Oh, and here's some good reading material: http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/sh...hp?tid/168575/

Old 02-06-2011, 02:23 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I'd either go with MSD, or stock dizzy with Pertronix lit.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:16 AM
In the Staging Lanes

You are right when you say "you get what ya pay for" so I am going to try and get and MSD ready to run distributor and an MSD coil.

I started tearing things apart the last couple of days. The hole reason for the switch to the tunnel ram was due to a noise that started in the valve train. There are two cam lobes thatare just alittle rounded. The cam only has a 2k miles on it even tho it has been installed for about 8 or so years.

Found out my alternator braket won't work so I ordered this one..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SBC-C...Q5fAccessories

Also found out that the lower left hand side of my radiator is leaking never noticed anything on the floor till I went to move car to the middle of the garage for this project..

Think I found a 2 1/2 inch cowl hood for 300 bucks with light weight springs,but wont know for sure till this Saturday..

So now my list of things I need to get...
Ignition...
Plug wires...
Radiator...
Figure out Throttle linkage...
Header Gaskets... Anyone had any luck with any brands??

Going to put valve springs on tonight I think...

Cly

Old 02-08-2011, 07:57 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Bad_Z28
The hole reason for the switch to the tunnel ram was due to a noise that started in the valve train. There are two cam lobes that are just a little rounded. The cam only has a 2k miles on it even tho it has been installed for about 8 or so years.
Header Gaskets... Anyone had any luck with any brands??
Cly
Your cam is shot. "Just a little rounded" is going to turn to well-rounded soon. Did you do the initial cam install? And how was it broken in? Are you running some heavy valve springs, or dual springs?
I like that alternator bracket, not a bad price either.
For header gaskets, I've had good results with Percy's Seal-4-Good. They're made of a soft laminated aluminum, and conform to irregularities pretty well.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:18 AM
December 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

here is the crossram i used on my last 69 with 450`s and 50cc pumps!!
i used the pertronix small cap hei drop and go unit!!
Name:  thepoop.jpg
Views: 1291
Size:  97.6 KB

Old 02-08-2011, 10:14 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Hope that alt. bracket works for you! I bought the same one for my '71 and the cool adjuster wasn't long enough to reach a point that it would allow the alternator to clear the valve cover and head. I used the bracket, but had to go with a chrome arm to get it to swing out farther and clear everything.
It put my batt. lead right against the head and would have shorted if it didn't swing out.

Quick Reply: Tunnel Ram Setup