Tunnel Ram Setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 05:36 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Wish I had known you were cutting the hood, as I've done a few and got a method figured out. I cover the entire area with blue painter's tape, then lay it out with a felt pen. After that I drill the corners with a hole saw in a size that has the contour I want for the corners. Usually like them tight, so I use a 7/8" holesaw. Then just make cuts between the holes, but stop ea. cut 1/8" before the hole to hold the metal. Once I cut all four sides I go back and do the finish cuts at each corner. Then just touch it up with a sanding disc, or a file to finish it, and touch up paint on the raw edge.
As for the glass cowl, it's not too bad. Done a few. I always lay out the scoop and then drill holes every couple inches, then drop a nail in each hole as I go to keep it in place. I drill holes sized for pop rivets, so I can pop rivet it later.
Once I have all the holes drilled I mark around the perimeter with a felt pen and then remove it. After that I take the scoop off and grind the paint off under the mating areas, plus a few inches outside the perimeter.
At this point I mix up 2 part marine epoxy and put it on the bottom of the scoop edges. Then locate it on the hood and start pop rivetting it down. Remove most of the excess, but leave the edge to blend into the scoop.
Next step is to get fiberglass and fiberglass cloth and start building up overlapping layers on the adjoining surfaces. First strip halfway across the joint, then next one overlapping that one on each side, then a middle again, and another two overlapping that. Usually takes about 6 strips to get it strong and blended. I rough sand between layers to get high spots off.
Once it's cured you can blend it over with fiberglass bondo and sand it. I use glazing filler for a top coat for final sanding. Should be as strong or stronger than the metal or scoop when done.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:21 AM
Overdrive Member

I would have drilled the corner too. A roll of tape works nice for a template for a radius. A quarter works for a tighter one. Summit sells a deal that bolts into the big hole on the throttle linkage. Its basiclly a bushing with a step in it.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:16 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Well got to take the car out for a drive yesterday... First the carb/carbs seemed to be loading up and I could not clear them out and it was running really bad. Took the needle and seat's out and found that one of them had a small piece of metal from one of the braided lines I had made stuck in it. Got that straightend out went ahead double checked and re-adjusted the float levels. Ran the car down the road and it is still spitting and sputtering and I remembered what 1971BB427 had said about his buddies ignition system when they tried to use a resistor. So I wired around that resistor and took it for another spin. The poping and all that was gone and the car runs pretty good. Nailed the gas from about ten miles and hour and it was nice and crisp no hesitation and it proceeded to spin the tires through 1st and 2nd gear. I was worried about the resistor not being wired in, So I called Mallory and spoke to thier tech assist guy. He said if the coil you are using on your breakerless distributor is at least 1.0 to 1.4 ohmns or greater then you don't need to run resistor. So that made me feel better. I didn't want to burn it up. It seemed alittle tempermental on the way home from the shop but I think it may have something to do with the colder temps, We had a high of about 51 and was probably in the 40's by the time I made it home.....

Last edited by Bad_Z28; 03-12-2011 at 05:18 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:12 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

That's great! You may have to adjust timing to get it dialed in better. Tunnel rams like a lot of advance, so I'd keep bumping the timing until it starts to ping, then back it off a couple degrees. If you're running an electric fuel pump be sure it's got a regulator after it to keep the fuel pressure down under 6 lbs. as the Holleys will load up badly if the pressure is over that. Even if you've got a mechanical I'd check pressure to be sure it's staying under 6 lbs.
I had a lot of trouble that way until I got a pressure gauge and saw that my pump was putting out around 9 lbs. and flooding at idle or low rpm's. Put in a regulator and all was fine.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:43 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Will try and check fuel pressure soon. I am using a mechanical pump. I am going to work on the hood today. Just waiting for a buddy to come over and help me get it off the car again. The people that have seen the car with the hood on it says it don't look bad. But then again I think it is hard to pay to much attention to the hood when there is two carbs and a big air cleaner sticking out of it....

Drove it about 15 miles yesterday and had one person that wanted to know if it was for sale. (it's not) Two cops passed me going the other direction and didn't turn around to pull me over and one passed me and gave me a thumb's up...lol...Deffenantly an attention getter now...

Will post pic's of hood later tonight....

Old 03-12-2011, 07:19 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

That's cool! Getting some miles on it, and getting thumbs up is always great! You've worked hard on it, so it's nice to have people appreciate that work!