Removing fender vents?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 10:24 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Removing fender vents?

I started the tear down on my 78 Z28 today but I'm not sure how to remove the "gill" style fender vents. The Camaro is going to get painted bright yellow with black stripes and the fender vents will be black to match the stinger hood scoop, grill, and the headlight valences. Anyone know how to properly remove the vents?

Old 06-07-2009, 01:39 AM
Default Removing fender vents

You remove both the fined and the scoop styles the same way. The easiest of which is to remove the fenders themselves to get at the retainers and remove them. Another way which might damage the vents but will work is to get a scraper and slowly apply force all the way around the vents to slowly dislodge the retainers.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wingzero061
You remove both the fined and the scoop styles the same way. The easiest of which is to remove the fenders themselves to get at the retainers and remove them. Another way which might damage the vents but will work is to get a scraper and slowly apply force all the way around the vents to slowly dislodge the retainers.
i agree!...that's right!...

Old 07-23-2009, 08:59 PM

Hey wingzero, dont think that's such a good idea. i have 80 Z/28 over here & i had to replace the nylon gaskets under those vents. i had to seperate the inner fender from the fender to get to the NUTS, thats right they're bolted in. if he prys the vents, he's gonna snap those studs right off & possibly bend the S%$#T outta the fender. would'nt wanna see that happen would ya? just my 2 pennies, hope it aint too late! BBZ--------

Old 07-23-2009, 10:02 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i agree with meanbluz, i have a 79 z and have already taken the vents out, you do have to take the fenders off in order to get to the nuts which hold the vents in place, there is no other way so if i were you i would take a little more time and do it the right way, hope that helps and good luck with the car!