Removal of climate control level tabs

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 08:31 AM
2nd Gear member

The end that goes to the ash tray,is a very small fiber optic light,that way there is no bulb that sticks down in the way.Yeah if i can get it done in silver,i think it should look good,i just realized though that the words on the original are white,but on your white panel they are black.How did you do the words,i thought they were on the plastic lens,are they on the paper part instead?

Old 04-01-2012, 08:54 AM
3rd Gear Member

Very interesting! I would've never guessed that it was fiber optic. Those GM engineers were "light years" ahead of themselves weren't they? Sorry for the cheese... I know you said that you weren't sure but do you know which light port to use on the back of the panel for that light? And yes, you're right, the words on the original plastic lense are etched into the plastic in white. However, there are black words on the replacement cover that I put on there. What I did was went and bought a piece of plexiglass/plastic and cut it to size and then used my dremel to cut the couple of notches into it where they were in the original. Worked beautiful.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:25 AM
2nd Gear member

Thats a good idea,i never thought about cutting plexiglass.That would work good anyway as my lens is scratched up from 30+ years of use anyway.I just sent a person on ebay a messege that sells those refacing kits for the gauges,heater controls,etc. to see if they can di it in silver.I'm guessing they can,they have listings where you buy the white gauge faces,then pay an additional fee and they will do them in silver with black numbers,so i am assuming they can do the heater control as well,hopefully haha.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:37 AM
3rd Gear Member

Take a look at whitegauges.net I got mine for $20 with the heater controls included. They have light grey, dark grey, brushed silver, silver, etc. The other colors are $50 I believe but still well worth it. Good luck and sincerest thanks and appreciation for all the info.

Last edited by 78 on my plate; 04-01-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:56 PM
2nd Gear member

Cool thanks.They are the ones selling them on ebay too,i seen the color change option for the gauge faces,but it didnt say anything about the climate control part so i emailed them,and it will be a total of like $43 or so just for the silver climate control part,you have to buy the white face one which i think is $13,then they charge $30 more for the color change.Still think i am going to get it though as it will look alot better,plus then it will match my gauges.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:34 PM
3rd Gear Member

I really like my gauges with the white faces on them now. I guess it would be a little pricey just for the climate control cover but was an excellent deal for me so I didn't have to buy all new gauges as I didn't want to. I bet you'll be glad you did it after the silver cover is on there. Their website shows all the colors so you can see what they will look like. I thought you could order just the climate control covers from the website? I haven't seen their listings on ebay before so not sure what they show. I got my new oil pressure gauge today (decided to use mechanical instead of electronic) and I'm going to get the cluster all put back together and back in the car this week. Can't wait to get this done so I can finish putting the 327 back together and start getting ready for the engine swap!