lower control arm removal trouble

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 01:06 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default lower control arm removal trouble

I am having trouble removing the two bolts that attach the Front lower control arm to the chassis. One is horizontal and the other is vertical. they go through the bushings. Do these have to be pressed out or something? I removed the nuts off of both of them but cant get the boltsto budge. not even a little. do the bolts screw in also? I am gettin seriously pi$$ed off about this. Ive been beating on them for hours with no results. can someone tell me if theres a trick to removal?. Thanks

Old 10-09-2007, 11:15 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: lower control arm removal trouble

If no luck here, try the reference section at your library. They have chiltons manuals... Sounds like you need to drive those bolts through the other side. Soak them with penetrating oil and wack the end wuth a hammer. The bolts are probably seized in the rubber bushings.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:27 PM
Ninja Administrator
Default RE: lower control arm removal trouble

OH FRONTS!.... nm... ill re edit this again when i remember how i did my fronts

ok, the front suspension is set up with a lower and upper control arm (or A arm) and a spindle arm connecting the 2 (just a curvey rectangularrod about 2in across i think, thicker at the bottom maybe?). the spindle arm is a sonofa*****. I beat the living hell out of the vertical bolt with no luck. then we ended up using a crow bar and putting it between the top of the spindle and the upper A arm and prying it. took alot of force, and eventually (with the sound akin to a shotgun blast) it will snap out. getting it back in sucks too. the front suspensions on these cars is a *****. This was with my qa1 install, and this is how their instructions said to do it.

try this
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=6

that spindle is all that keeps it up though, so when it pops it can tear the brake line unless someone catches it as it falls. tricky... [&:]