Lower Control Arm + Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 04:22 PM
Default Lower Control Arm + Bushings

hi, i own a '95 camaro 3.4L. I had a mechanic inform me my lower control arms and bushings need replacing. He wanted ~$1,100 to replace them, but i don't know enough about cars to believe this is a fair amount of money for the job. I was getting ready to sell it before taking it into the shop. i'm pretty sure it is the cause of the metal scraping sound i've been hearing.

i refuse to pay this much money, so i want to do the job myself. I just had these replaced a year and a half ago so i can't understand why the same work needs to be done again. Can i just replace the bushings? or do i need a whole new control arm? two mechanics told me i can't just replace the bushings, which is the only part that's broken.

my problem is, that even though i can spare any amount of time fixing it (this is why i have multiple cars) and i don't mind doing the work, i can look at it flat and straight and probably not see anything wrong. i am not a mechanic. but if i know which parts to buy, i'll follow my hanes manual and get the job done.

can anyone help me suggest what it is that i need to buy? i have a camera that can focus an inch away if you need photos. it is not exactly an easy to reach area though.

my estimate spoke to me verbatim:
R & R Lower Cntrl Arm Bushings (1 side) 2.5 hrs | $79.47/hr $198.68
R & R Lower Cntrl Arm Bushings (1 side) 2.5 hrs | $79.47/hr $198.68

left control arm (oem) qty1 | $353.82
right control arm (oem) qty 1 | #353.82

thanks,

Old 10-07-2007, 10:59 AM
Tech Droid
Default RE: Lower Control Arm + Bushings

You can get apair of upgraded LCAs with bushings from Summit for $98 to $265, depending on brand. Pretty simple job to replace as long as things aren't rusted in. One bolt in front & one in back of arm.
Book hours from Alldata 2.8 hours for 2 rear LCAs
List price for stock LCAs, $117 each. Get the upgraded ones from Summit (Hotchkis), stronger, & better looking.

Old 10-07-2007, 06:52 PM

thanks for the response! i'll check this out.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:41 PM
2nd Gear member

Yea, he was gonna bend you over and milk you like no other. Suspension on the 4th gens are a piece of cake. Grease the bushings tho.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:30 PM

that's exactly what i wanted to hear! thanks

and i just realized i lost my hanes manual. back to the shop to get another

Old 10-31-2007, 01:38 AM

Sorry to bring up a dead thread. But I am just really curious what happened with this? Where are you located? I'm sure some local Camaro owner will come help you out. It's literally a half an hour job. With 2 people, it'd take 15 minutes tops.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:44 AM

This job is dead in the water. Before getting started, to give you an idea of how much i know, i jacked the car up and placed it on jack stands, before realizing i had to loosen the lug nuts first in order to take the wheel off.

Once i had the wheel off, i said "f' this" and put it back on. well not exactly. i've been studying how to get this done for a few weeks and even called up my mechanic friend from back home, who pretty much scared the crap out of me. 15 minutes per side seems a little fast. the entire suspension has to come out from what i've learned. the ball joint needs to be pressed in with a tool that i don't have, nor know how to use. i wish i knew a camaro owner here, but the truth is, i moved here for a job where i have no family and didn't know anybody. no one at work is a mechanic. so i'm pretty much on my own as far as live on-site help goes.

thanks for asking. i think i may just sell it and buy a new summer car next spring. i was thinking about doing this anyways before i knew there was a problem.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:45 AM

sorry, i am located in Southborough, Massachusetts.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:21 AM
Tech Droid

The rear suspension does not have to be removed. Just take one LCA out at the time and replace it with the new one, and they come with bushings already installed.

Old 10-31-2007, 02:23 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: z28pete

The rear suspension does not have to be removed. Just take one LCA out at the time and replace it with the new one, and they come with bushings already installed.
I think he is refering to the front Lower control arms and NOT the the rear LCA's.

Quick Reply: Lower Control Arm + Bushings