My 68 Camaro SS Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 03:01 PM
Default My 68 Camaro SS Project

Hey ya'll well I just picked up a 68 Camaro SS to start putting together on my freetime. Car was driven for 5 years before having the engine pulled to be used in a different car and car stored in his shop and pretty much forgetten. So basically it sat in a shop for 30ish years.... the tires still have all the nipples on them but will not be useable as the sidewalls are all cracked. the interior is pretty much original. dash is perfect as is the headliner, seats and door panels. Only thing broken inside is the pass side window crank **** obviously all the weather stripping and bushings are dry rotted. Emblems are missing as is the original hood now. Needs paint. No rust at all. I am putting a 400 sbc i had built a couple years back for my Monza which I planned on racing but never got around to. Mild engine work nothing wild or crazy. Not exactly sure how to go about "restoring" this. So far i've been referred to Classic Industries and SS396. Are those good places to deal with? I noticed they both carry pretty much everything i'll need. Im looking into a disc break conversion and am wondering if there is a definite necessity for 4 wheel discs or if front wheels will suffice. Another question I have is that I have a th350 auto tranny. I've heard I can get a conversion mounting plate/center console for auto trannys. Which is best and where to get it? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

**Edit** I should add that I was not given the mirrors, or any emblems, center console or hood as this car was his "drag car" that he decided to shelf after 5 years. I do have the front bumper and minor trim pieces. Has anyone here ever dealt with Snake Oyl? Thanks

Old 10-23-2006, 07:36 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: My 68 Camaro SS Project

Well, You have a '67 grille, other than that it looks pretty straight up. Does the car have a 12 bolt rear or not? It has the SS gas cap but I can't see any Interior badging. If You're going to do a Real restoration, try to do it as genuine looking as possible. It'll be more valuable and actually get more looks than a custom. If You're going to do a small block 400, keep the outside of the engine looking stock as possible, it'll fool alot of people and run like a scalded ape. I've had 2 '67's, 3 '68's and 5 '69 Camaros. if You need any expertise that's long winded, just e-mail me. The only Gen 1 that I have now is a Daytona Yellow '69 427 4 speed car. It's a great start for Your project.