It Lives...Here Starts the Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 08:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks 1971BB427!
I dropped my engine off ath the machine shop today. I'm prolly gonna go with the original pin setup. They want $20 per rod to machine them to accept floating pistions.
I got lucky tho, my block has never been bored. I'm super stoked about the potential it has.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:45 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by rosky69
Thanks 1971BB427!
I dropped my engine off ath the machine shop today. I'm prolly gonna go with the original pin setup. They want $20 per rod to machine them to accept floating pistions.
I got lucky tho, my block has never been bored. I'm super stoked about the potential it has.
I've never run full floating pistons on an engine, and I've had some pretty radical engines that I ran hard. My 427 uses factory pressed pins with TRW forged pistons, and it's got 20,000 miles on it since the rebuild in early 2000. No complaints.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
I've never run full floating pistons on an engine, and I've had some pretty radical engines that I ran hard. My 427 uses factory pressed pins with TRW forged pistons, and it's got 20,000 miles on it since the rebuild in early 2000. No complaints.
That makes me feel better. I've been kind of beating myself up for not going with new rods, or getting mine machined, but the $$$ are adding up fast and I don't want to get over my head...too far.
I just want to get my engine/transmission/rear-end in so I can show some progression, and DRIVE IT!!!
I knew it was gonna get spendy...it always does. But I keep running into deals. I've got random parts all over the place (they all fit into my scheme It's just hard to explain to someone who doesn't think a car is any more than transportation), and my better half is getting a little annoyed that Id rather buy new car parts then a new pair of Italian shoes for her. The balancing act is pretty rough

Old 04-20-2010, 06:10 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Guess she needs to get her priorities straight! At least she notices what you're putting into the car! Heck, my wife barely notices it's changed color after all these years! She looks at cars as transportation, not as a hobby.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Cars are transportation? Since when. Somebody should have told me.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:07 PM
Overdrive Member

I feel your pain. On my trip to Indy to get my car, I brought the old lady just so we could spend some time together away from the kids. While I was loading the car up she asked the guy where the best mall was. So instead of driving back north we went farther south into the city. Then dropped some more money I didn't want to spend. she was happy and we had a blast on the road trip. All is good. Get her involved, she'll apperciate it more if she has time invested in it too.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:55 AM
In the Staging Lanes

My wife doesn't know I have a race car. And its her car. I'm not even on the title! True story. She owned it when I met her, then I stole it and made it bad. Actually, she knows I drag race her car, and she's too freaked out by it to drive it, which is unfortunate because its streetable if you don't fall asleep at the wheel. I drive it to work when I'm not changing enines.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Osmiumfoot
My wife doesn't know I have a race car. And its her car. I'm not even on the title! True story. She owned it when I met her, then I stole it and made it bad. Actually, she knows I drag race her car, and she's too freaked out by it to drive it, which is unfortunate because its streetable if you don't fall asleep at the wheel. I drive it to work when I'm not changing enines.
That's hilarious!
I can't get mine involved in anything auto related, she refuses to get a drivers license, and therefore does not get to enjoy driving something special. She thinks the camaro is a waste of money...too bad. She thinks my road king is pretty, but won't get on the back of it with me. I'm not bashing her, it's just frustrating. At least my daughter is interested. Everytime I'm working on the car, she's out there helping as much as she can. So, that's cool.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:01 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I had my car 2 years when I met my wife. She didn't drive when we met, but started after we married a few years later. She's never driven the Camaro. From day one she always said it scared her. Actually none of my kids have driven it either, and they're all in their mid to late 30's. My youngest daughter said she'd drive it once, but after I pulled it out of the garage she chickened out. My oldest son was ready to drive it, but was afraid he might put the first ding in it and took a rain check. I think he'll drive it soon, once the resto has some miles on it. He's not afraid of it, just afraid of hurting it.
Wife used to ride behind on the motorcycle a lot, but we rarely take it out anymore. Only twice all last year. Thought when the kids were gone we'd do more rides, but now it's grandkids, so still not enough time!

Old 04-21-2010, 07:20 PM
Overdrive Member

I have two in diapers,the oldest is two, I know the feeling of no time. I go to college three days a week too. Can't wait until these kids old enough to help. I do put them on my lap and let them push the button to fire my buddies drag car. They cried the first couple time now the oldest asks to do it.

Quick Reply: It Lives...Here Starts the Project