It Lives...Here Starts the Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 10:07 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Hey I think I see the hole for the clutch Z bar ball pivot right above your oil filter too! There's definitely a hole where the pivot ball would screw in, so you just need to clean it and check for threads! That's a good sign, and means you most likely have a hole in the crank also for the pilot bushing!

Old 04-09-2010, 03:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks, I was hoping thats what the bolt hole above the oil filter was. By hole in the crank do you mean one about 3 inches deep, that steps down in size? 'Cus if that's the case, than I'm one lucky sonofa,,,,. It never occurred to me that I could have an issuew with the crank. I just jumped off the deep end, and bought a 4 spd.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:00 PM
1st Gear Member
Default antifreeze leak

I located the af leak. It's for sure a rusted thru freeze plug. I've been trying to load a pic of it (nasty looking thing) but am having one of those not-so-computer-friendly moments. also found some more numbers on the motor, I'll post them tomorrow. I keep seeing 71 all over the place (maybe the year it was made?)

http://s825.photobucket.com/albums/z...9.jpg&newest=1 this is the leak

Old 04-09-2010, 11:24 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by rosky69
Thanks, I was hoping thats what the bolt hole above the oil filter was. By hole in the crank do you mean one about 3 inches deep, that steps down in size? 'Cus if that's the case, than I'm one lucky sonofa,,,,. It never occurred to me that I could have an issuew with the crank. I just jumped off the deep end, and bought a 4 spd.
3" deep??? Was that an error? The hole in the center rear of the crank fr the pilot bushing is probably around 1"-1.25" deep, and about that same diameter. I don't think I've ever seen a machined hole 3" deep in the back of the crank!

Old 04-10-2010, 08:46 AM
1st Gear Member

I stand corrected. I just measured it. It's 1.5 in deep and concave at the end of the hole.
I got it pressure washed last night, and got some more info off the block,. On the back of the block on the left side there's a 12 encircled by 11 dots, below that it says E18 71. On the other side it has a T1 and CONV 1. I don't know if any of that info is important, but thought Id ask.
I was going to tear it down today, but they are racing a little ways from my house, and my daughter is dying to go. So, I guess I'll tear it down tomorrow and mic everything. It's on an engine stand outside, with all the holes covered with duct tape, I'm gonna cover it with a trash bag before we leave, it should be alright like that?

Old 04-10-2010, 09:18 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by rosky69
I stand corrected. I just measured it. It's 1.5 in deep and concave at the end of the hole.
I got it pressure washed last night, and got some more info off the block,. On the back of the block on the left side there's a 12 encircled by 11 dots, below that it says E18 71. On the other side it has a T1 and CONV 1. I don't know if any of that info is important, but thought Id ask.
I was going to tear it down today, but they are racing a little ways from my house, and my daughter is dying to go. So, I guess I'll tear it down tomorrow and mic everything. It's on an engine stand outside, with all the holes covered with duct tape, I'm gonna cover it with a trash bag before we leave, it should be alright like that?
Yes it should be fine for several days like that. I'm not on all the external marking myself, so can't really say what they mean. The code off the front engine pad near passenger side front of head is what will tell you what you need to know I think.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:17 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The casting month code goes from A-L (January-December)
So the casting E18 71 means May 18, 1971

Old 04-10-2010, 10:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
The casting month code goes from A-L (January-December)
So the casting E18 71 means May 18, 1971

Thanks, I didn't know if there was anything else of importance within the codes.
I guess I'll find out the important stuff tomorrow when I tear it down...that should be festive.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:20 PM
1st Gear Member

I didn't get much done this week, I started back to work...that's a whole other story. I did get my engine completely torn down, and am going to drop it off at the machine shop tomorrow.
My current question is, can I put new pistons with floating pins on my old rods. My buddy says I can because the pin attaches to the piston, not the rod, I'm not buying that completely. Any advice here would be greatly appreciated

Old 04-18-2010, 08:01 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Your buddy is correct. The pin doesn't need to change. The pistons change to accept clips and are slightly larger hole so the pin doesn't press into the piston.

Quick Reply: It Lives...Here Starts the Project