It Lives...Here Starts the Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 12:00 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by rosky69
...Kind of an afterthought...How do I get (Marti, the camaro) and the Road King out at the same time...I will not trailer stuff...if I cant ride or drive it, it don't need to go...
Just a thought
Good question! Ever since I got the Camaro finished(neaarly!) I've found much less time for my street bike, or my quad. Used to get them out a lot, but I find myself always wanting to drive the Camaro on nice days. At least I can ride the quad when it's nasty and enjoy the mud, but the street bike is no fun in the rain, and cuts into Camaro time in the sun.
I've actually been contemplating selling the street bke as it sits so much, but hate to let it go after having it for alomost 20 yrs!

Old 04-05-2010, 07:50 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Antifreeze Leak

I located my leak...kind of...It looks like it originates just above the lowest motor mount bolt on the block. I know there's a freeze plug located above the bolt.
It leaks under pressure, and when there's no pressure (engine cooled off for 2 hours) and still dripping.

There was lot's of smoke today when I fired it up after dyeing the antifreeze and filling up the radiator but it didn't smell like burning antifreeze.

What are the chances that it is just a freeze plug that just rusted through? I'm praying that's all it is.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:10 PM
In the Staging Lanes

400s like to crack around the head bolt holes. Sometimes they let water drip out from under the head and down the side of the block. Another reason for a tear down and a peek before you put cash into it.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:04 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Unfortunately I agree. It's in the nature of the 400 siamesed block to have issues between the center two cylinders with overheating and possibly cracking. Hope it's just a freeze plug, but you'll have to pull the engine to be sure one way or the other.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:27 PM
1st Gear Member

The water is not coming from the head. I'm sure of that. It's originating around the lowest motor mount hole. I won't know for sure until I rip it out...hopefully in the next day or two. My parter in mechanical crime's tranny just took a dump on him...up in Ohio, so his will get priority, once it get's down here, it's his dd.

On another note, (just in case my block's FUBAR'D), how much trouble would it be for me to bolt an M 20 up to a '90chevy block? I found a complete/unmolested 5.7 from a truck for $100. I'll have to rebuild it of course, but it sounds like a good start if my block is screwed.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey guys!
I can put a rear end from a 78 Trans Am under my 77 right? No major issues?
I got one with 3.73 eaton posi...complete for $300.
Does that sound liike a good deal?\

Thanks,
r

Old 04-08-2010, 05:45 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by rosky69
The water is not coming from the head. I'm sure of that. It's originating around the lowest motor mount hole. I won't know for sure until I rip it out...hopefully in the next day or two. My parter in mechanical crime's tranny just took a dump on him...up in Ohio, so his will get priority, once it get's down here, it's his dd.

On another note, (just in case my block's FUBAR'D), how much trouble would it be for me to bolt an M 20 up to a '90chevy block? I found a complete/unmolested 5.7 from a truck for $100. I'll have to rebuild it of course, but it sounds like a good start if my block is screwed.
A 90 should be the Vortec engine, so the block should accept the same bellhousing as your present engine, but you need to check the rear of the crank to be sure it's machined for a pilot bushing. Make sure it also has the hole for your Z bar near the oil filter too!

On the rearend it should be a drop in. I changed to a 79 T/A rear axle in my 71 and the only thing I had to change was the cables for the emergency brake. I think in your case you wont change anything from a '77 to a '78. That's a great deal on a posi with that gear ratio!

Old 04-08-2010, 07:35 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Progress!!!

Finally got to spend some quality time with Marti today.

1030amName:  10-20-2009148.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  195.6 KB

5:00pm (roughly)

Name:  10-20-2009150.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  181.5 KB

Then it started raining on me, so I had to stop.
More to follow tomorrow...Before and afters of the engine bay and what i find in the motor.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:45 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I see some discoloration between #5 and #7 cylinders running down the side of the block? Either from around the dipstick tube, or from the head? Anything to do with the water leak?
Or was it the sending unit up there between #1 and #3?

Old 04-08-2010, 09:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
I see some discoloration between #5 and #7 cylinders running down the side of the block? Either from around the dipstick tube, or from the head? Anything to do with the water leak?
Or was it the sending unit up there between #1 and #3?
There's a sending unit between 1&3 that looked like it was leaking, the antifreeze issue is on the other side between 2&4
You're an observant fellow! I had to look at the pic twice, then go pull the plastic off the motor, to see what you were talking about. lol! GOOD EYE

As I take the motor apart tomorrow, I'll post pics...lots of pics...I want opinions...everybody's.

Then we'll figure out how to build her!

On another note...you 1971BB427 and Camaro69 should write a book (or an interactive webpage )on camaro's. You guys rock!

Quick Reply: It Lives...Here Starts the Project