Hello General questions for a new guy.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 01:19 PM

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! i can't do what i wanted to then... where i live requires emissions. i wanted each cylinder having there own pipe and just run straight pipes no muff or cat...

Old 03-30-2010, 12:10 AM
2nd Gear member

You may want to check with your local emissions test place though,some states only require it for vehicles that are built after a certain year,for example after the car is say 30 years old some places dont require they be tested anymore,but definitely check before you go wild with it haha.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:54 AM
July 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by B.M.
I do that to,only difference is i'm not talking very nice,alot of swearing going on haha especially when things arent going as planned,a bolt wont come loose or breaks off,etc.
Don't worry i have plenty of war wounds to prove the fights i've been in with it lol

ie: "Come on you SOB, AAAAAAWWWWWW, You C**k Sucker" .

LOL

Old 03-30-2010, 06:39 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Jflickinger_65
NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! i can't do what i wanted to then... where i live requires emissions. i wanted each cylinder having there own pipe and just run straight pipes no muff or cat...
Even if your state doesn't require your car to go through emissions testing, I still doubt you'd get away with 8 straight pipes out and no mufflers! That would be so LOUD that every policeman around would be pulling you over on a regular basis to write you a noise ticket!
Besides, most cars will run horrible with straight pipes and no backpressure. In my younger days I tried this on more than one occasion and never found straight pipes to develop more HP. They also make it impossible to carry on a conversation in the car, or hear the stereo when it's running.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:05 PM
July 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
They also make it impossible to carry on a conversation in the car, or hear the stereo when it's running.
WHAAAAT? lol

Old 03-30-2010, 08:13 PM
July 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i wanted each cylinder having there own pipe and just run straight pipes no muff or cat...
So what, you just want some headers to straight pipes? Do that and throw two cherry bombs in the mix, she'll sound like a dirt racer lol

Old 03-30-2010, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by 80ZJoe
So what, you just want some headers to straight pipes? Do that and throw two cherry bombs in the mix, she'll sound like a dirt racer lol
LOL ACCTUALLY that what is has at the moment.... lol ironic that you would suggest that.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:56 PM

Sorry i haven't posted pic yet i have plenty just they are on my friends camera and he can't find his cord to connect to comp. i was just wondering how hard it is to install a posi unit and how much they caost. i am running limited slip right now...

Old 04-06-2010, 02:44 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Sorry i haven't posted pic yet i have plenty just they are on my friends camera and he can't find his cord to connect to comp. i was just wondering how hard it is to install a posi unit and how much they caost. i am running limited slip right now...
Installing a posi in a Chevy 10 or 12 bolt is not something anyone should jump into unless they've got expert help, or done one before and have all the tools, dial indicators, etc. They're very complicated to get setup right if you've never done one. The posi goes in pretty easy, but it's setting the lash on the ring and pinion after that's tricky.
If you want to get rid of your one wheel wonder and change to a locker it's much easier and involves much less teardown. A Power Trax locker will do what the posi does, only better. It also costs less at just over $300, and can be installed by one mechanically inclined guy following instructions in about 3 hrs. I've had one in my Camaro for many years and it's been trouble free!

Old 04-06-2010, 03:06 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

i was just wondering how hard it is to install a posi unit and how much they caost. i am running limited slip right now...
Ehhhhh, that's the same thing. Posi (positraction) is GM's term for limited slip. Limited slip is the generic term. Did you mean you have an open differential (one-wheel peel)?

Quick Reply: Hello General questions for a new guy.