Hello General questions for a new guy.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 09:34 PM
1st Gear Member

You may have gotten hosed on the initial price...However, you now own this project.
I have learned, very recently, that the good stuff comes in little/unforseen packages. I won't go into details, only to say, that I was really bummed about the condition of a camaro I bought recently (when I first brought it home, I thought "oh my god...what did you do"). Yes it appeared that bad. However, the more stuff I take off the car and the more research I do, I continue to find good/positive things about my car I would have never guessed.
Being a dirt track car, your's is going to have some issues...know that going in. But it's not anything that can't be overcome. This is a fun thing to do (i've been doing it off and on for almost 20 yrs). You have to remember, we're not all made of money, like a lot of folks that own the sweet rides we all lust after. Take your time, ask a lot of questions (the folks here are super), and begin enjoying your camaro. Good luck!

Old 03-26-2010, 10:55 PM

Thanks for the support everyone!!! here are the pics just prior to purchase. i will be working on the car tomorrow and will have pics of me working on it and in parts as i progress through the work. it is linked to my facebook account because i didn't know where else to put the pics at...if anyone has any other places i can put them free let me know, i don't have full access to this site yet. http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...00000043429258

Old 03-26-2010, 11:35 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Open up a photobucket account. It's free and easy to post pics that can be put right into your posts so they come up here.
You've got the right attitude to get your car done! That's half the battle. It takes some money, but you can do it for less if you're creative and able to invest a bit of time searching options. Good info here, and lots of help as you proceed down the road towards finishing your project.
PS-I can't open up your facebook link, as it wants a name and password.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:36 AM

Update!!! Here this is through photobucket!!!
http://s1033.photobucket.com/albums/...ger_65/Camaro/

Old 03-27-2010, 01:15 AM
2nd Gear member

From what i can tell in the pics it looks like the body is in pretty good shape,so that is a good starting point.One thing you definitely want to check is the condition of the rear frame rails,especially where they curve to go over the rear axle.They can be repaired/replaced if they are bad but unless you are a good welder it would be pretty expensive to have someone do that type of work.As the others have said though,if you are like most of us you will probably end up putting twice as much money into it than the car is worth,but the big payoff to that is in the end you will have a very nice car that you dont see alot of around anymore,and the fact that you can say "yeah i did that" is priceless.It takes time,but these cars are definitely worth the money and effort.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:18 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by 80ZJoe
i love my car so much i talk to it when i work on it lol, and i still have a ways to go.
I do that to,only difference is i'm not talking very nice,alot of swearing going on haha especially when things arent going as planned,a bolt wont come loose or breaks off,etc.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:59 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by B.M.
I do that to,only difference is i'm not talking very nice,alot of swearing going on haha especially when things arent going as planned,a bolt wont come loose or breaks off,etc.
Seems we have something in common! That's probably the only time I talk to my car, or any car!

Old 03-27-2010, 09:03 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Jflickinger_65
Update!!! Here this is through photobucket!!!
http://s1033.photobucket.com/albums/...ger_65/Camaro/
Sure doesn't look like it ever saw dirt track racing? I imagined something much worse. It actually looks very straight, which I rarely see on any track car. Looking forward to seeing some more pictures as you start getting underthe hood and inside the floors.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:04 AM

81 camaros. did they have cats on them??? i hope not...

Old 03-29-2010, 12:25 AM
2nd Gear member

They did come with them,but if you buy an exhaust kit and put it on yourself i would not worry about putting them on there unless the area where you live requires the emissions inspection then you would have to have them otherwise i wouldnt bother with them.

Quick Reply: Hello General questions for a new guy.