Hello

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 10:36 AM
July 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Are you sure about that Joe? I don't think they offered a V6 back then. Should be a straight six I think.
lol, no just an assumption. if L6 means straight 6 then thats what it is lol

Old 05-29-2010, 12:57 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Yes, the L head is a straight six.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:43 PM

Figures.....
I ordered a shop manual so I could see what's supposed to be and what not.
Thanks.
JR

Old 05-29-2010, 11:40 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I wouldn't worry about what it once was. I personally think too much is made of original cars and cars that have had a lot of blood and sweat poured into them aren't given the credit due.
You've got a unique car that someone spent a lot of time building, and I would enjoy it for what it is, not regret what it isn't.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:55 AM
July 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

+1

Once my 80 is done not much will be original but i'll still love her the way she is lol, i wouldnt sweat it either, your car is (from the little pic) awsome. if i could never find a 70-73 that can be braught to life i'll clone one if i have to i love those cars.

joe

Old 05-30-2010, 10:35 AM

I wouldn't worry about what it once was. I personally think too much is made of original cars and cars that have had a lot of blood and sweat poured into them aren't given the credit due.
You've got a unique car that someone spent a lot of time building, and I would enjoy it for what it is, not regret what it isn't.
Oh no.. I agree. It is pretty cool the way it is. I just wanted to know what it was. thanks to you guys I know.
I might add things like sub-frame connectors and renew the interior. Might mess whit the dash and gauges and things like that.
Like I said the body is amazing. no rust, no dents and good paint. The front bumper has some issues but can be fixed real easy.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:01 AM
July 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yeah, sub frame conectors for sure, depending on how much power your car has you might need them

Old 05-30-2010, 10:22 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

What kind of issues on the front bumper? Replacements are available if it's got dents or dings, and it can be refurbished and rechromed also.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:00 AM

What kind of issues on the front bumper? Replacements are available if it's got dents or dings, and it can be refurbished and rechromed also.
LOL....Thanks ..now we get to the wonders of living in what some call paradise.
No re chroming here...it all has to be shipped out to do the work. When it comes back in you can pay import duties (27%) on the work done.
Ouch!!..Let me get it back and I'll take pics. It appears not to fit too well.
It looks to be off centered with the nose of the car.
To be honest I was thinking to go with the split bumper.
What do you think?
JR

Old 05-31-2010, 10:54 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Hanapi
LOL....Thanks ..now we get to the wonders of living in what some call paradise.
No re chroming here...it all has to be shipped out to do the work. When it comes back in you can pay import duties (27%) on the work done.
Ouch!!..Let me get it back and I'll take pics. It appears not to fit too well.
It looks to be off centered with the nose of the car.
To be honest I was thinking to go with the split bumper.
What do you think?
JR
I'm no fan of converting to split bumpers unless you did the whole conversion which means header panel, lower valance, split grilles, round turn signals, and poly extension nose. With your's already having the custom lights I think it might look a litle strange.
As for off center bumpers, if you converted it would most likely still make one bumperette off center, as the brackets are what centers them. When I rebuilt my '71 the new brackets were off center also, and the bumper wrapped around almost touching one fender, while the other side was 1/2" away from the fender. It's an easy fix though. I got my die grinder out with rotary file attachment and opened up the bracket mounting holes accordingly. I set the bumper in place with a spacer on each side to center it, then scribed through the mounting holes and pulled the bumper off. Then it was just grinding out the hole to allow the bolts to go in.
You might loosen the mounting bolts first and see how much it shifts. Often it's got enough play to allow it to move without any grinding. If you do grind it, tape some paper all around the bracket to protect the paint from grinding sparks.