getting on the road

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 07:12 AM
Overdrive Member

I always start at the left of the 12V plug and the just work your way around clockwise. James I sent a pm for you. Thanks now I need a console and I'm golden.

Last edited by 77nomad; 09-25-2010 at 07:19 AM.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:06 PM
2nd Gear member

by 12 volt plug you mean that box that sticks out on the side of the hei disributor? yeah thats how i tried to do it, but you see before i had #1 to the right of that box thats how the car came when i got it, then i moved #1 to the left of it like i saw in my manual but i was dumb and didn't think about that throwing it off how do i remedy? by taking the distributor cap off and seeing where the rotor lies then moving it to the correct #1 postistion?

Old 09-25-2010, 01:09 PM
2nd Gear member

goodluck on the consol search if you find 2 let me know!

Old 09-25-2010, 11:59 PM
Overdrive Member

You could. The reason I put mine like that is I have had a problem timing the motor because the wires wouldn't let me rotate far enough. With the wires moved you may be a tooth off. Do you know how to stab in a dizzy and time a motor? The MSD website has an awesome video with the editor of hot rod doing the work. It covers installing and timing a distributer. Worth looking at.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:44 AM
2nd Gear member

well i went out earlier to try and solve the problem and so originally my #1 was on the right of that box comming out of the side of the hei then i moved it to the left after i put the spark plug wires back on after installing the headers and today i finnally got it to work i was looking in my chiltons manual and in their picks #1 was the second spot to the left of the box so i went out moved it one spot to the left and it fired right up so that problems solved now hopefully it will all work after changing out the intake next weekend when i have to remove and reinstall the hei and thanks for the help/advice idk about stabbing a dizzy and i haven't timmed one before but ill check out that video

Old 09-27-2010, 09:43 PM
2nd Gear member

alright so the gaskets still aren't in but now i know i need new springs i've been thinking that for awhile but the exhaust has been hitting the ground which gets annoying and my youth pastor and i were out talking about the car he used to have a 66 fairlane and he agrees on the springs being needed and i was thinking that could be the wheel hop problem as well but what should i do get mine resprung and add another leaf maybe or get new ones which do you guys think would be better? or air shocks im leaning toward the spring seems like less hasle but idk i've never had air shocks do they require alot of maitenence? and could i get ball parks for new springs to air shocks? i have no idea what either go for

Old 09-28-2010, 05:09 AM
Overdrive Member

Hey, when you get your gaskets they will come with cork gaskets for the ends (front and back) throw them right in the garbage. Run a 3/8" thick bead or RTV instead. It even says this in the instuctions but they still put the cork in the box for some reason. You could have your springs rearched. I don't know the prices out there though, maybe 150 bucks or so. I think I gave 300 or so for mine brand new. Air shocks would be the cheapest way to raise it up and Camaros will have wheel hop issues its just in there nature. Thats why you always see a set or traction bars hanging underneath them. Good luck.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:22 PM
2nd Gear member

alright thanks for the help man yup i read about the cork, lol cork seems very oldschool

Old 09-28-2010, 10:47 PM
2nd Gear member

okay so new summit springs are $86 for cheap summit ones, and air shocks are $70. On the springs the summits are cheapest, the other 2 are like $180, and $190. The air shocks idk what kind you guys roll on but they are the tube kind, the others are like 900 and up so Im not gonna be getting those ones. lol what you guys think? get cheap summit ones plus the air shocks, or get a better brand for basically the same thing and no air shocks? i dont really think theres gonna be any big difference with the different springs other then about 90 dollars, the only thing i could think of is metal desity but i doubt it so im leaning towards the cheap ones. Any opinions? i'll post the links
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MON-MA708MM/ air shocks
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-7081GM/ summit springs
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/STQ-68700/ Suspension Techniques springs
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BEL-5975/ Belltech Sport Trucks springs

Old 09-29-2010, 05:09 AM
Overdrive Member

I have no idea about the other springs. I do knoe that for some reason when people are buying eaton springs there is a mix up in the stock and people are getting Nova springs instead. The will bolt right in but have about 6" more arch. Remeber to that new springs equal new bushings. So thats an added cost too. Here is what my car is sitting on.

Quick Reply: getting on the road