electric or mechanical fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 08:32 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default electric or mechanical fuel pump

when i got my car it had an electric fuel pump mounted on the body of the car underneath behind the back seat so when its running its very loud. I have a buddy that races cars and said even if i remount it they are always pretty loud so he said he always uses mechanical pumps. Whats everyones concenus on this? They also mounted the battery in the trunk which I like except for the big cables running along the floorboard, hopefully that wont be a problem when i install carpet.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:59 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Texas70z28
when i got my car it had an electric fuel pump mounted on the body of the car underneath behind the back seat so when its running its very loud. I have a buddy that races cars and said even if i remount it they are always pretty loud so he said he always uses mechanical pumps. Whats everyones concenus on this? They also mounted the battery in the trunk which I like except for the big cables running along the floorboard, hopefully that wont be a problem when i install carpet.
Electric pumps are loud, but they can be quieter if you use rubber isolation pads to keep the noise from transferring. Also mounting them to the frame and not the body pan will help. I have an electric on my Austin gasser and it had a rubber isoltor built inbetween the pump body and bracket. Still too loud, so I cut some old inner tube and built up layers of rubber under the mounts. Used a double nut to keep the bolts tight, rather than clamping it down too tight. Really quieted the transferred sound to the cab.
Not sure who was stupid enough to run the battery cables inside the pass. compartment, but I'd get them out of there, and routed under the car with 1 hole insulated straps to hold them. Inside is just not a good idea.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:08 PM
In the Staging Lanes

thanks I wasnt sure if that was a common thing or not, they mounted 2 toggle switches on the dash one is like an ignition kill switch and the other kills the fuel pump. Theres a ford solenoid in the trunk that controls all this and my buddy told me thats something alot of people do when they race cars they have a kill switch.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:21 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

That's very common. I run toggle sw. for fuel, cooling fan, and a mechanical battery disconnect sw. mounted in my floor to completely cutoff power to the car in an emergency. Just my personal preference over the solenoid, but nothing wrong with the solenoid with toggle.
The little black dot in front of the pass. side seat is my battery dis. sw. with the key removed. It also functions as a security means to keep the car from being hotwired when I take the key with me.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:44 PM
In the Staging Lanes

thanks good pic, I plan on putting down that heat/noise material before I put my carpet in so that helps me too :0)

Old 01-19-2011, 10:05 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

There's nothing wrong with running the battery cable inside the car, provided you're as careful installing it that way as you would if under the car. And if you search online, you'll find the recommendations are split 50/50 between inside or under the car. When I moved the battery to the trunk, I ran the positive cable inside up and over the wheel well, down alongside the rear seat area, under the metal shield below the door threshold, and out the front floor about mid way up, through a grommet. All the while making sure the cable wasn't against any sharp metal edges to try and cut through the thick tough casing. The cable then connects to a remote starter solenoid on the inner fender, that I can also use as a distribution block. The ground cable goes from the battery to the back frame. Then another cable (not a flimsy strap) up front from the subframe to the engine & body. I have welded subframe connectors, so continuity wise, front and back frames are tied together. When running a trunk battery, I highly recommend using an Optima battery since they don't vent explosive gases into the air like conventional batteries do. I've had a bad experience with a conventional battery blowing up on me before, so I do not trust them in an enclosed area. If you really want to talk about what's stupid to do, it would be about the type of battery you use more so than where to run the cable, but that's my experience based opinion. And even though I do have my battery in a sealed Moroso box, I still wouldn't use anything but an Optima in the trunk. See what a big mess (both mechanical and personal) a battery can make when it goes, and I'm sure you too would become overly cautious.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:13 AM
Overdrive Member

The new Holley HPs are whisper quiet. Edelbrock electric pumps are relatively quiet too. The other alternative not mentioned is a submersible pump. Weldon makes some great intank pumps. I am personally trying to kill two birds with one stone. I can't find a good spot to mount mine (Holley Blue). Then the noise. If I get my way and I do when it comes to my car I'll have an Aeromotive A1000 mounted inside the tank. The upside is the fuel its self should help insulate the sound.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:18 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Mechanical, less work, less noise.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:36 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Sometimes a mechanical isn't an option for clearance, but that's rare in a 2nd gen. Camaro. Usually lots of room on them, not so much with my Austin's 21" wide frame.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:42 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I have a Holley mechanical fuel pump that supplies the two carbs just fine. I have no need and no desire to have an electric pump. And I really haven't experienced any difference in reliability between one or the other, a mechanical or electric pump can fail at any given time, and for no apparent reason. To me, using an electric pump would be more out of necessity (clearance issues, higher pressure supply needs, etc.)