dual carb set ups

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 01:41 AM
Default dual carb set ups

I was at a local flee market and came across a guy that is selling dual carb set ups for a pretty good prices so since i have a very limited knowledge about them i was wondering what info you guys had about the daul carb systems. Any pros/ cons, and how hard would it be to tune one and keep it running good.

Old 04-22-2006, 02:09 AM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: dual carb set ups

its really more for show then anything. it will bring down your gas mileage considerably. MIGHT hurt throttle response. performance benefits are only noticed in higher rpm's, but mostly for show. if it is with edelbrock carbs, tuning will be easy. What type of manifold is it? if it is a tunnel ram, then dont do it. tunnel ram would be good for a high compression car that rarely is driven on the roads. if its a dual plane intake then it will be nice for a good looking street setup. throttle linkage is also more complex.

Old 04-22-2006, 03:52 PM
Tech Droid

As Timmy mentioned, multiple carbs are really a pain to live with. They were popular in the muscle car days because really large 4BBL carbs were not available. Synchronization of the throttle valves, idle adjustment, and jetting became very critical. especilly with dual 4BBL set ups. The best multiple carb set up was the tripower, which was used on the many makes & models. This set up used three 2BBL carbs, with only the center carb having idle circuits, and the two end carbs just had the power jetting and accelerator pumps. The car usually ran on the center carb, untill the engine was running well into the power band, and then the two end carbs opened up.

Old 04-23-2006, 12:29 PM
3rd Gear Member

just wonder what you are running for an engine? a lot of people run dual quads and complain how bad they are. I ran duals on my 396 for years and I only stopped because I was getting the car painted and couldn't see cutting a hole in my new $600 hood. (man do I miss them). I used to make my own linkages so they looked cooler than anything you could buy and they never bound up like some of those you would buy from Summit or Jegs

I have to say that you will ALMOST never get the performance you would out of a single carb set-up, but if it is a well built streetcar I'm sure you would have ample HP anyway and now you would also have the cool factor going

if you go with Holleys, they are very easy to tune, I think more so than others because the parts kits are so varied. I've known a few who tried going with Edelbrock but just couldn't get the fine tune they needed. if you are looking for a mild set-up, go with 390s. DO NOT BUY 450s!! they are not meant for dual quads and you will not be happy. a lot of people buy these because they come in pre-assembled packages and then don't like them. the reason why, is because they are the cheapest ones out there but they are nothing more than a stock replacement and have problems of running too rich in the higher end and can't be tuned because of their unadjustable highspeed air bleeds. 390s are more money but are a real dual quad carb.

well, after my long rant. I hope I didn't confuse you

Old 04-23-2006, 03:27 PM

i have a 350 bored .030 over but i really doubt that i would go with this set up unless someone thouroghly convinces me that it is worth it. but thanx for all your info 1969 SS.

Old 04-23-2006, 08:23 PM
3rd Gear Member

no problem. just trying to lend a helpful hand

with your set-up you would definitely just get aggravated [:@]and not want to drive your car. sometimes simple is the best way

now go out and enjoy that car!