Tranny Install - with or without the motor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 09:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, darn it. I've been trying to figure out why the T350 tranny I purchased has been leaking fluid everywhere. So I finally got it up on the hoist, lifted it up so I could connect it to the motor only to see it was STILL LEAKING. UGH!!!
Come to find out only 2 of the pan bolts came with the tranny. So I've drained it, will go get a new gasket, filter, pan & bolt kit so I can put it all together tonight. Too late for the speed shop, so off to Reibe's or Autozone to see what I can come up with. Darn it.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Ha! Nadda. Time to go to the local speed shop today. Came into work 1.5 hrs early (yawn) and hope to get out by 2:30 to hit up the store to buy some parts. Again.

Busy tonight, but tomorrow this tranny is either going in the car or on the back of the motor. NO ifs, ands, or butts. =)

I've got to get this thing on the road. I'm too excited to drive it now. Oh well, wish me luck.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Funny how a darn torque converter can screw up a simple install. =) So, tried to "mate" the motor and tranny for a whole day - realized it wasn't going to happen. Read up and saw difference between BBC & SBC converters ??? Bought a new B&M Holeshot? and everything went together perfectly. EXCEPT one thing. When I tried to pour in 1 qt of fluid into the new converter. I could barely get 1/2 qt in there. I thought maybe someone returned it, but all of the staples were on the box and the bolts (included) were still sealed in the plastic bag.
Soooooooo I'm hoping that will be enough to not fry the tranny pump. =)

Weekend get-away for Gdaughters soccer tourney, IF I go, the car won't make it to HAN next week. IF I stay, it's barely going to make it, but I have a much better chance.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:06 AM
4th Gear Member

Trans pump will pump oil at start-up.
T/convertors are very slow, but takes time for oil in filling as air must pass as oil goes in.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Ah, makes sense. Oh well, I'm hoping the 1/2-3/4 of the bottle will be enough. (in the converter) and I've added 4-5 qts to the tranny. The book says to start it and then add the rest???
I didn't realize how much fluid it takes. Somewhere I read like 5-6 qts - HA! - now I see it's 10-11 qts. - guess I'll send the wife on a buying spree. =)

Old 08-08-2017, 07:24 PM
4th Gear Member

Filter change, yes 4-6 qts,
If t/convertor empty, about a case of 12.
Be ready at start up in adding oil. don't need to burn up pump - add immediately.
As far as Wife goes, Kohl's is having a sale.

Last edited by Everett#2390; 08-08-2017 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:36 PM
1st Gear Member

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA thanks Everett. =)
Yes, fired up the motor and added a few more quarts of fluid. THEN we found it wasn't making much oil pressure. UGH!!!
Checked a few things and will be pulling the motor out this week to drop the pan and check the new oil pump. DANG IT.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:52 AM
4th Gear Member

Darn it, over 40 thing here, I should have suggested in pulling dist and installing oil primer with a 1/2 inch drill motor and a gauge and check pressure before install.
How much pressure shown?
How much bearing clearance?
What viscosity of oil?
What type of pump - stock volume or high volume?
How did engine sound?

Old 08-16-2017, 07:04 PM
1st Gear Member

I hear you man. I did that "after" to make sure I could check pressure. I was barely getting 10 lbs - bearing clearance is tight. Melling HV oil pump - should have been 60-80 during break in - running Comp Cams Break in oil - think it was 30 wt -- car sounded great. Funny thing though, I installed "noisy" gear drive unit and I could barely hear it. Way too quite - even for a quite set up. =(

I've got a new Melling standard pump that I pulled out. Any chance there is a hidden plug in the new pump ???

Oh well, going to cut open the filter. My crew chief buddy says too much metal in oil. I said it's all new stuff and has to clean itself off during the break in - he said no.

So I'll pull the motor, drop the pan and check the pump. Make sure the pick up didn't fall off, but it was SO tight I had a hard time adjusting it to the pan.

I need to fix a couple of things anyway. Gauge wiring coming out of the dash - needs to be routed better.

OH and to top it all off, the fricken heater core took a chit on me. Now I need a carpet kit (which I needed anyway) - I was like WTH?

Old 08-16-2017, 07:14 PM
4th Gear Member

Another mechanical gauge for pressure check before pulling?
Might be worth it, Harbor Freight, $10.
Heater core can be changed in about an hour, if you have one in hand and can do it without disconnecting the cables.

Quick Reply: Tranny Install - with or without the motor?