Tranny Install - with or without the motor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 10:12 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MikeJ67
Hot? It's going to be a scorcher here. 100-107-105-103-110-102-and so on and so on. Yikes.
You're welcome.
Yes, I see your 'Other Coast' weather is being a scorcher for the next week.
Drink plenty of fluids, er, water or Gatorade.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:29 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Everett#2390
Yes, I see your 'Other Coast' weather is being a scorcher for the next week.

Not so much a ways North, been wet and chilly here all week but they say 80's by Sunday so I have hope. lol

Old 06-18-2017, 10:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Well, it's finally done. New poly body bushings installed AND aligned. The alignment part is what I didn't expect. (Why I don't know) but after about 4+ hours of this one man show I finally got it right. And to think, someone's youtube video showed me "alignment holes" to get things straight. LOL.
Now it's father's day (Happy Father's Day to all of you Father's out there) and I can't do anything on the car today because I'm not sure what time my son is expecting me to come over for a BBQ. Supposed to be 108 today (UGH) but the son's outlaws have a pool and I believe that's where we are going.
Wife asking me to fire up the Harley and take her to brunch. Sounds like a great idea. Stay cool today everybody.

Old 06-18-2017, 12:46 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MikeJ67
Well, it's finally done. New poly body bushings installed AND aligned. The alignment part is what I didn't expect. (Why I don't know) but after about 4+ hours of this one man show I finally got it right. And to think, someone's youtube video showed me "alignment holes" to get things straight. LOL.
Now it's father's day (Happy Father's Day to all of you Father's out there) and I can't do anything on the car today because I'm not sure what time my son is expecting me to come over for a BBQ. Supposed to be 108 today (UGH) but the son's outlaws have a pool and I believe that's where we are going.
Wife asking me to fire up the Harley and take her to brunch. Sounds like a great idea. Stay cool today everybody.
Sweet! Waiting for my two sons to come over for a BBQ here, we were going to go shooting but it's still raining at this point, hope the sun comes out pretty soon. I did a 300 mile loop of Mt. Hood on the Harley yesterday after working 5 hours early in the morning. Happy fathers day!

Old 06-20-2017, 06:55 PM
1st Gear Member

BBQ was good and the weather wasn't too bad. Pool was refreshing though. Son made me a set of Corn hole boards with Chevy bow ties on them. His father in law is a ford man. =)
Didn't get a chance to go buy any more parts, but did order things which started showing up today. New 1" drop coil springs for up front. I took off this coming Monday & Tuesday so I could have 4 straight days to work on the car. I'm in terrible need of getting this thing together by July 1st just to have a month to get things dialed in for Hot August Nights. The Wife is extremely excited to drive this car up there. ??? WE did buy it last year at HAN and she is hoping the people that didn't get to buy it see it all done up as a Pro Touring machine. =) Let's hope it all goes together easy enough.
Now to get the spare rear end in the truck and dropped off at the builder so I can get it back and up under the car. New 3" lowered leaf springs should be here Friday or Saturday. Woo Hoo.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:20 PM
1st Gear Member

OMG! I'm never going to get this thing done in time for Hot August Nights. Lol. Motor & tranny going in this weekend come Hell or High water. Since I'm flying solo I'm just going to install the T-350 tranny and then the motor. I've almost got the motor all buttoned up, still need a couple of things completed, but I can do anything in the car now.
Pro Touring suspension & Big Brake kit will have to wait until I get back. "Maybe" I'll put the front disc on the car for now. Just depends on how much time I can get.
Threw my back out on day 2 of my 4 days alone on the car. The brace helped, but slowed me down. Ugh.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:19 PM
4th Gear Member

Good luck, Mike.
Don't overdo it, you know your limits.
If me, I'd attach trans and install both at the same time.
But, like I said, you know your limits.
Just be careful and think ahead as you go along.

Old 07-24-2017, 05:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Everett#2390,
You are so right sir. You've got to know your limitations. I'm going to try to either bolt the trans up to the motor tonight after work OR install the tranny and drive shaft in the car so it's ready for the motor.
I like the idea of putting them together on the floor as you can make sure you get everything tight before trying to get it in the car.
Maybe I'll just put them together and do it as a unit. That would be the best way to do it. I'll have the car lowered ready for the motor tonight for sure.
I've got my fingers crossed that this all goes in without a hitch.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:22 PM
4th Gear Member

As always, plan ahead.
You attach trans to engine and attach t/convertor to flywheel under the car.
Your choice.
Go it slow & easy - be safe.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:29 PM
1st Gear Member

For sure. Funny how there is never enough time to do something, but if you screw it up, there's always time to do it twice.

I learned that a long, long time ago in one of my machine shops. Measure twice, cut once. Go slow and do it right the first time or you'll be finding time to do it twice.

I figure now I have until the weekend to fire this puppy up. So if I can put things together tonight - then Wed drop them in the car (I bowl on Tues & Fris) get things buttoned up Thur and fire it up Sat morning. It just might work.

Quick Reply: Tranny Install - with or without the motor?