Tranny Install - with or without the motor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 07:28 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Tranny Install - with or without the motor?

Hey guys,
The time is coming near where I'll be installing my new motor in the car and I have a T350 to put in there also.

Are you guys fans of installing the motor/trans together? Or one at a time? Right now I have both out. (original tranny still in the car, but coming out this weekend). I'm wrapping up the rebuild on my motor and I have the T350 I'm going to sway in sitting in the garage and I was just wondering how hard it is to install them as a unit "with my front end still on the car" ??

So, just checking as I want to put my motor in the car this weekend. (Finally) and I wasn't sure if it's easier to just swap out the transmissions, and then drop in the motor?

As always, thanks for the responses

Old 06-12-2017, 07:51 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

I'd do them together after pulling out the radiator,it's sure a lot easier to bolt the trans to the motor out of the car.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:11 AM
2nd Gear member

better together!!!!!!!!

Old 06-13-2017, 07:45 AM
4th Gear Member

Yes, better together.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Right on guys, thank you for the confirmation. I was thinking that it would be SO much easier to get around the motor/tranny to put things on and tighten everything up.

That's what I'll do then. Mate them before Installing them.

Woo Hoo! Thank you so much guys. Have a great day.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:12 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Make sure you put a quart of fluid in the Tq. Con. before you install it and that it's fully seated before bolting it up to the motor.

Old 06-14-2017, 03:02 PM
2nd Gear member

I have done it both ways .And they both can be a pain in the butt.It depends on the engine hoist and the competent help you have.

Attached Thumbnails Tranny Install - with or without the motor?-130044932860518017_26257430996_o-1-.jpg  
Old 06-14-2017, 06:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I hear you. I'm flying solo these days. Wife can help raise or lower the hoist, but other than that, trying to get my kid over here is like trying to buy a Vette for $1,000.00. =)

The tranny is (was) full when I got it. The shop "just" removed it that same day from a guy's '69 Chevelle SS396 as he was going to put in a 6 speed tranny. "Supposedly" it only has a few thousand miles on it, and it's pretty clean. I'm just going to make sure there is oil in the converter and assemble the 2 units to make 1 big azz one and try "not" to kill my radiator support in the process.

I've always done them one by one myself. Just seemed easier to get the tranny in and bolted up, then the motor can only go to the tranny & mounts. ??? Guess I'll find out this weekend.

Thanks

Old 06-15-2017, 08:13 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MikeJ67
Yeah, I hear you. I'm flying solo these days. Wife can help raise or lower the hoist,

I've always done them one by one myself. Just seemed easier to get the tranny in and bolted up, then the motor can only go to the tranny & mounts. ??? Guess I'll find out this weekend. Thanks
If this method works for you, then go this route.
Just be safe and don't overdo it in the heat wave across the USA.

If you do both as one unit, put into trans a spare U-joint in preventing oil from coming out the tailshaft when tilted.
Also, what I find as it helps in installing, is attach chain, I use the exhaust manifold holes, to give a slight tilt with trans down so the 'aim' of trans into tunnel is alittle easier.

Good luck

Old 06-15-2017, 06:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Everett#2390-
I let the trans fluid just leak out all over my garage before I could find something to put into the back of the tranny. LOL. A spare U joint? Hmmmm I was looking for a plastic plug like a clutch alignment tool. I thought someone had one for a tranny. Guess I'll keep looking (around for another U-joint)

Yeah, depending on the help around at the time, I'll see which way to go. Installing new subframe bushings today. Amazing what 50 yr old ones look like now.

Hot? It's going to be a scorcher here. 100-107-105-103-110-102-and so on and so on. Yikes.

Quick Reply: Tranny Install - with or without the motor?