Wanting to build a Camaro where do I begin?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 11:14 AM
Default Wanting to build a Camaro where do I begin?

I'm approaching 50. I've worked on and built cars since childhood, continuously trying to elevate my skills around cars. For the past 11 years, I've focused on late model Vettes, mostly boosted in some way or with nitrous, sometimes both. I have a lot of professional experience with custom fabrication, welding, wiring and electronics, tuning, engine building, custom machining, light upholstery work, paint and body etc. I've been collecting parts for years and have enough to build another toy and I've wanted a 69 Camaro since childhood. Many of you know the vicious cycle of spending countless hours and dollars building a car, only to lose much of it when it's time to move on and sell it. I've rarely gotten into a car fixed it up and sold it for a profit and I haven't always regretted it because I often enjoy the journey. For you seasoned veterans, I'm curious if you think it's even possible to get a random 69 Camaro off the market, fix it up and sell it for a profit or even break even. I realize that's a subjective question and that it helps if I get into the car and parts at the right price, but what are the odds I can do a build and not lose my proverbial ***? If I build one, it's going to be a pro touring build, for sure. I want to build something that makes a reasonably reliable 800whp or so, something that has all the creature comforts, like A/C and even heated and air conditioned seats. Also, I was considering doing this build with the help and advice of the members here. What I mean is that I've got some ideas to toss around but was considering letting the masses decide how this build plays out, such as: do I make it turbo, twin turbo, supercharged, nitrous oxide assisted? Manual or auto? I have a couple LS motors in the shop and even a couple newer direct injected motors. I have a few automatic transmissions and also have a few TR6060/Magnum transmissions laying around the shop, so I have options. I have a Holley Dominator fuel injection system with all the goodies, including the digital dash display that I was considering adding to the mix. I know that I don't care for the factory seats, so I would definitely be changing those to a nice pair of late model seats. I have a custom console in mind, maybe even a custom dash. I've had ideas of installing a late model air conditioning system, including the controller/display in the dash. Your thoughts, ideas, comments are appreciated.

Old 05-05-2018, 01:13 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Profit? I dunno maybe,pro-touring 1st gens have been doing pretty well at Mecum and Barrett Jackson auctions lately.
As for conversion info I'd go over to https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids-28/

Old 05-06-2018, 01:16 PM
1st Gear Member

69 Camaro is a great choice (I have one)! If you've wanted one since childhood, wouldn't you want it to be a "keeper"? I've owned my 69 for 32 years and will never sell it. Have you thought of building from a new shell and full frame? For power adders, I think a Procharger is the way to go.

Old 05-10-2018, 01:08 PM
4th Gear Member

Boosted, you're gonna have to sit down and decide what YOU want.
If building a 'modern' '69, you might consider a Dynacorn body and go up from there.
Or, cruise any number of ads out there for a good base model, but remember, they will be fifty years old.
The other items considering is the project itself - will it lose interest?
How driveable it is when you start, how much time do you want to spend rebuilding as to driving.
As always, make a logbook of the build, we cannot remember everything all the time - Over 40 Thing.
Good luck.

Old 05-11-2018, 04:10 PM
2nd Gear member

Most of us build our cars for ourselves as a hobby. I have also help my friends for his business. And we built those to those are near stock.with safety upgrades such as disc brake s. Electronic ignition. For a specific customer. And even those can have eyes bigger than their common sense and or driving skill. They are used to driving an econo boxes .Then get into a muscle car .and it scares them so much they sell the car. I would build a car for yourself .And leave the ones with major modifications for retail to the experts,Especially as expensive as this hobby is.

Attached Thumbnails Wanting to build a Camaro where do I begin?-130044932860518017_26257430996_o-1-.jpg