Where to find project car

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 07:11 PM
Default Where to find project car

Hey guys,

New guy here, hoping there might be someone who can lend a young guy some advice on where to look for a solid project car. I'm just in the looking phase right now. I'm currently undergoing chemotherapy for lymphoma and my prognosis is excellent. Through this all, I decided that I needed to find a car to restore as it is something I've wanted to do since I was a young kid. At 28 years old, I'm ready to start looking for my first project car. Thanks in advance for any direction you might be able to give me!

Old 03-03-2016, 09:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Good luck!

Everybody and his uncle wants a solid project car.
It took me 4 years to find mine.

Old 03-25-2016, 05:42 PM
4th Gear Member

welcome to the forum ,I see a lot of the 1 gens on Graigs list ,you may need to ,get parts from different places ,if your not numbers matching guy ,you could part one together for a lot less then numbers matching cars ,they go for a lot more ,but I have seen some nice ones parted together from different cars .an keeps the cost down to ,there are also a lot of places that make fenders an things like that for the old ones ,though you would want to make sure the place comes high recommended bye classic car owners

Old 03-26-2016, 12:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Since you are in the looking phase, not the buying phase, I would recommend that you do a ton of research on these cars. By doing so, you will learn what to look for, what to watch for, and what to avoid.

Old 10-19-2016, 07:23 PM

I have a project car if interested. Just picked up a true barn find yesterday. Will need metal work but, everything is there.

Old 10-19-2016, 07:27 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member
Wink

Craiglist in the car parts section is a start but if you have a car swap meet in your area there are always projects for sale at the swaps and lot of parts for projects as well.Some really great finds to be had for the early bird sometime too.

Old 10-20-2016, 11:11 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Welcome to the forum and good to hear your chemotherapy is doing well. Looking at projects are some what subjective. If you have the money you could find a decent car that looks good but needs a motor/drive line. On the other hand you might find one the other way around that needs body work. When I was looking I went for a all around great car that didnt need anything other then what I wanted to add to make it mine. I HATE body work so....I looked on craigs list and keep an ear out to friends to see whats out there. Cars shows (like someone said) is a good to start,you can learn alot by looking and talking to people.And remember everyone loves to talk about their cars so ask questions

Old 07-02-2018, 03:00 PM

69 Z/28 look alike.Been sitting like this in my garage for 15 years on jackstands.350 with 4 speed.New motor.Only has maybe a thousand miles on it.Lots of parts for it as well.$

Old 07-02-2018, 03:01 PM

Retiring and downsizing for big move in 2 years

Old 07-02-2018, 04:41 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Larry please keep an eye on thread dates, This one is 2 years old. For sale post should be in the classified section.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Where to find project car