My rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 02:27 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by ToddB
Open Question to all
Any thoughts on media blasting, sand, C02 walnut shells ect? What have you used and were you happy with the result. I'd like to blast the frame , floors, trunk and rockers.
Soda blasting is the only way to go. Anything else will overheat and warp the remaining steel. I am sure you have seen the ones at the show that had the small waves working. I had mine completely soda blasted and then epoxy sprayed, inside and out.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:41 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Nice project! So whats the story on the car? How did you find it?

Old 08-31-2010, 12:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by minex
Nice project! So whats the story on the car? How did you find it?

Hey Minex. I saw this car on eBay and started emailing the owner on the history. He has owned the car since the early 80’s. It was stored inside most of the time. He was selling it because he has a 1970 Camaro that is in really good shape and he needed the garage space for that car. I wasn’t the successful eBay bidder. I really wanted the car but wasn’t too excited about the location. I emailed the owner and told him to call me if the winner flakes out on the deal, which does seem to happen often on eBay. Well, the winner flaked out. The owner contacted me and we were able to agree immediately on a price for the car. We did the deal. I drove 26 hours round trip to pick it up and the rest is history.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by psy4s
Soda blasting is the only way to go. Anything else will overheat and warp the remaining steel. I am sure you have seen the ones at the show that had the small waves working. I had mine completely soda blasted and then epoxy sprayed, inside and out.
Looks like soda is the way to go.. Thx

Old 08-31-2010, 01:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by orocker
Mine was done with soda. Got nice results. I would say order only as you need. The guy who did the body work on mine did that cause he didn't want allot of body panels sitting around getting out of shape. I basically threw money at it whenever we needed stuff. Time is a funny thing with projects like this. You set out to do something simple and you end up spending most of a sat on it. You will have many days like that. Sometimes we only got to it one weekend a month. Now we are working as much as possible and life just seems to get in the way........allot.
Soda it is Orocker. Thx. I have a 2.5 hour drive to get to where my car is so as a result I have only weekends to work on it. I’m going to try to get in 3 weekends a month until spring. I think that will help with me not getting project burnout. My family is totally on side with this project so I don’t have any issue there it’s more around the 2.5 hour drive during the Canadian winters. Fingers crossed we don’t get much snow this year.

Last edited by ToddB; 08-31-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by orocker
Mine was done with soda. Got nice results. I would say order only as you need. The guy who did the body work on mine did that cause he didn't want allot of body panels sitting around getting out of shape. I basically threw money at it whenever we needed stuff. Time is a funny thing with projects like this. You set out to do something simple and you end up spending most of a sat on it. You will have many days like that. Sometimes we only got to it one weekend a month. Now we are working as much as possible and life just seems to get in the way........allot.
Did they sting you for shipping each time you placed an order Orocker?

Old 08-31-2010, 08:19 PM
December 2011 ROTM
Santas Little Helper
ROTM Winner's Club

Of course. Even though he owned a body shop he still had to pay for the shipping. But he worked on several projects at once, so we would only order when he needed allot of stuff.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by ToddB
Hey Minex. I saw this car on eBay and started emailing the owner on the history. He has owned the car since the early 80’s. It was stored inside most of the time. He was selling it because he has a 1970 Camaro that is in really good shape and he needed the garage space for that car. I wasn’t the successful eBay bidder. I really wanted the car but wasn’t too excited about the location. I emailed the owner and told him to call me if the winner flakes out on the deal, which does seem to happen often on eBay. Well, the winner flaked out. The owner contacted me and we were able to agree immediately on a price for the car. We did the deal. I drove 26 hours round trip to pick it up and the rest is history.
It seems the car is meant for you... Amazing!!!!

Old 09-01-2010, 07:26 PM
1st Gear Member

sweet

Old 09-03-2010, 11:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mainejohn
sweet
Thx mainejohn . How about this?
A friend of mine at work saw the photo’s and said “ Wow what a hunk of junk! “ and she was serious

Quick Reply: My rebuild