my 69 camaro project

Old 06-21-2012, 04:30 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Scooch
well, the big guy is gonna take me when he wants to... meaning it doesnt matter if Im driving a Volvo, a Four Wheeler, a boat or a 69 Camaro. so if I had the opportunity to finish mine and drive it I would. sorry, not tryin to derail the thread, just sayin. you do whatever your heart tell you to O and you cant go wrong. we will all love you no matter what.
You will be amazed what you can live thru and how mangled an existence you could have to endure. Maybe it was my years at the dealership watching car after car being towed in or my years commuting 150 miles daily with a great many close calls but IMO these first gens are weekend cruisers. I want crumple zones, well designed seat belts and air bags for my daily combat, I mean commute. It is not that I don’t trust myself but I have seen a lot of stupid on the road over the years. There is never any guarantee that any of the modern safety items will keep you safe but it just seems like common sense.
I think I have talked about in the past but the book that list all the engineering safety requirement for an arm rest is ¾” thick. The last 30 or so pages descried the tests that have to be done. Ours is just sheet metal waiting to wipe out a kidney.

I think we have talked about this in the past O. It would be great if you could figure a way to keep it as a weekend fun car. It would be something you could keep a life time and your family could fight over after your gone.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:04 PM
2nd Gear member

orocker,

I just sat here for a few hours reading this entire thread(Don't know why I waited so long to read it). Every page got me more excited as I saw the love, detail, and hardwork you and your husband poured into the Camaro (all great). Then as I am nearing the final pages I found myself anxiously waiting to see another video update of the beast finally firing up, but instead almost shed a tear to hear that you might have to sell it. I do not know you personally and do not know your situation but would hate to see you part from your camaro after all that hard work. At one point in the thread I caught myself wondering if it would be too creepy(probably) of me to want to meet you and your husband to see the camaro if I go down to Florida again soon because I feel like I became a part of your journey throughout this long but wonderfully detailed project thread.
I know I've written too much and will probably get looked at as a weirdo on the forums but I just hope you get to keep your baby even if it is just for weekends, and know you have a fan.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:54 PM
December 2011 ROTM
Santas Little Helper
ROTM Winner's Club

I agree Gorn and will not just drive it on the weekends but probably keep it for around town.

Well I have decided to keep it. You get to a point in life when money becomes an issue. But then reality sets in for a future buyer of my camaro and it's not worth to them what it is to me. We haven't worked on it really for a good 2 years. Allot of issues have come about after many conversations and many tears have been shed over this project. Allot of life can happen in 5 years time. When I started it I was working for someone else. We looked at this project differently. I quit my job, went into biz for myself, soon after a major surgery, a grandson, and I got a 2nd chance to really connect with my kids. Right now my faith and God is my main focus in life. I am very lucky to be alive and don't want to waste a moment of it.

With all that being said I just let go of it all. We will keep the car. I do need to fix some things in my house but will try and save up a little extra on the side so this guy I talked to can get it running. We had my grandsons bday party outside today under the carport and I just looked at the camaro for a while and miss working on it. It just got frustrating cause we do need help with it. I'm very proud of the work we have done and want to continue that work till it is done.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:50 AM
2nd Gear member

Hey O,

I understand. If I lived near you, I'd help ya in a heart beat. It took me 8 years to build mine and it's still not done. I remember the thought of selling it a few times and the feeling of getting in over my head. You'll have to trust me, God's doing something really amazing in your life and one day you'll look back and know the reason why.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:17 PM
2nd Gear member

had my motor soda blasted and it worked out fine and cleaned up with water just my two cents

Old 11-05-2012, 06:17 AM
December 2011 ROTM
Santas Little Helper
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by mikes68
had my motor soda blasted and it worked out fine and cleaned up with water just my two cents
That's great. I know allot of car guys use it.

Originally Posted by StoveBolts
Hey O,

I understand. If I lived near you, I'd help ya in a heart beat. It took me 8 years to build mine and it's still not done. I remember the thought of selling it a few times and the feeling of getting in over my head. You'll have to trust me, God's doing something really amazing in your life and one day you'll look back and know the reason why.
Well to give you a small update.......I do know the reason why. There are several.....but I don't need to go into them here. Now that I and my business have been on a budget for the last year and we have made it through all of the financial crisis......yea I actually was able to pay for a new AC for my house.......a plan is in the works to save up and be able to pay to have my car finished by July next year for my bday. I have no time or interest in finishing it. I feel I have done enough and dont think anyone here could say dif that we didnt put our heart and soul into it. Now it comes down to money and having a professional get it running and driving. I will feel safer with that. Sorry for my absence.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:25 PM
December 2011 ROTM
Santas Little Helper
ROTM Winner's Club

Hey guys! Just wanted to stop by and let you all know that I sold the Camaro. My neighbor and his friend(the guy who I was actually gonna get to finish my car for 3k) were looking for a project car and knew the status of mine and knew that I wanted it out of my life.........so I sold it. I got 10k for it which is as much as I could considering the things that had to be corrected on it and all that was involved with finishing it. I am truly happy that its gone. It was me for a while but not anymore. So many things have changed in my life. I now have Sundays off to go to church and have time with family. I joined a bible institute called Koinonia Institute and am letting God lead me where he wants to take me. Life is AWESOME!!!!! I doubt I will be back but wanted to let you all know.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:21 AM
Super Scooch
January 2009 ROTM

you will be missed.